Line help please

Robbie C

Reaction score
I have settled on buying sensor line in 4 and 6lb for float fishing a pit for tench and bream etc this summer.I may fish straight through sometimes but if not I can’t decide what make hooklengths to go for. I’m thinking 3 and 5 lb. Fluorocarbon? I’m either close in maybe laying on with a 1.25 Avon or on a waggler near an island with a 14 ft power waggler rod.Strongish hooks.Loop to loop or a mini swivel? Thanks

john step

Reaction score
When I fish straight through on 6 Sensor its because I want strength and no week spots in a snag free environment for biggish fish.
If I think I need a bit of finesse and or camouflage my hooklength will probably be Sinkbraid over gravel or Merlin green in a weedier spot.
6lb Sinkbraid is very thin. Merlin not so thin but it wafts and resembles weed and fish are not put off by it. I think you can still get 8lb.

For the 4lb line for tench I may think that is light enough straight through and probably not put the tench or bream off at all. I feel 3lb bs hooklength might be too light for a 1.5 Avon or power waggler.

There again some may think I fish too heavy, but I do not like leaving hooks in fish.

peterjg

Reaction score
Robbie C, this is bad news - you have inadvertantly started another "which line" thread, this will certainly lead to further arguments and debate!

For reel line I also use Sensor and for hook lengths Preston Reflo.

Please, please don't start a thread about centrepin reels, that's another dodgy subject on here!

Robbie C

Reaction score
Robbie C, this is bad news - you have inadvertantly started another "which line" thread, this will certainly lead to further arguments and debate!

For reel line I also use Sensor and for hook lengths Preston Reflo.

Please, please don't start a thread about centrepin reels, that's another dodgy subject on here!

Sorry lol. I did look at a lot of archive threads and saw all the discussions. That’s why I said I’m using sensor.All I need to know is what lines people use, especially for hooklengths in 3-5lb .Then I will do more research and make a choice.
Funnily enough my first ever reel was a centre pin and I’m thinking of getting one for close in. I haven’t looked at any threads yet!

Keith M

Reaction score
Sorry lol. I did look at a lot of archive threads and saw all the discussions. That’s why I said I’m using sensor.All I need to know is what lines people use, especially for hooklengths in 3-5lb .Then I will do more research and make a choice.
Funnily enough my first ever reel was a centre pin and I’m thinking of getting one for close in. I haven’t looked at any threads yet!

For my float fishing I tend to use ‘Dave Harrel Pro Float line’ as it has all of the advantages of ‘Drennan Floatfish line’ like being abrasion resistant and being a good floating line that can also be sunk but a) Pro Float comes on 300mtr spools and b) it has a slightly thinner diameter than Floatfish.

Dave Harrell Angling Pro Float Fishing Line - Buy Online

Some of our well known and well respected Float anglers on FM use it too, which is why I first tried it.

Dave Harrels Pro Rig line is also a good hooklength line.

NB, I’ve changed over to using ‘Pro Float’ on my Centrepin too. :wh

Keith

Last edited:

Robbie C

Reaction score
For my float fishing I tend to use ‘Dave Harrel Pro Float line’ as it has all of the advantages of ‘Drennan Floatfish line’ like being shot resistant and being a good floating line that can also be sunk but a) Pro Float comes on 300mtr spools and b) it has a slightly thinner diameter than Floatfish.

Dave Harrell Angling Pro Float Fishing Line - Buy Online

Some of our well known and well respected Float anglers on FM use it too, which is why I first tried it.

Keith

Thanks Keith,
It seems like a good line for trotting, but in still water I always sink the main line.What do you use for hooklengths?

Keith M

Reaction score
‘Pro Float’ can easily be fished below the surface too by using the usual flick of the rod tip to get it through the surface film.

Dave Harrels ‘Pro Rig line’ was designed specifically for hooklengths.

Keith

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I prefer to go straight through and unless it's a snag free spot I would use the 6lb.
If I did use a bottom i'd use silstar matchman in 5.5lb or 6.6lb. Either breaks before 6lb sensor.
I have used prestons but I prefer the silstar. I have used 4lb sensor below the 6lb also.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
‘Pro Float’ can easily be fished below the surface too by using the usual flick of the rod tip to get it through the surface film.

Dave Harrels ‘Pro Rig line’ was designed specifically for hooklengths.

Keith

I'll second that. After years of using Silstar Match Team - and that's good too - I tried the Dave Harrell Rig Line in .10, .12, and .14 for hooklengths, and I've had plenty of big mixed catches where the same hooklength has been on from start to finish and appears just as good at the end. As well as being strong for its size, it knots fine and has never curled, pigtailed etc in any way.

fishface1

Reaction score
Sensor for sinking lines (waggler/lake). Generally 4lb but occasionally 6lb.

Reflo hooklink - 2.10, 3.6 or 4.12 depending on target fish.

I’m also a relatively new convert to the Dave Harrell floating line for the rivers having previously been a drennan float-fish fan.

I use the 4lb.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I like Supplex Fluoro 3.3lb to a swivel. It doesn't tend to tangle and should it happen it's very easy to smooth kinks out. The only time I used loop to loop I got a spin up so never tried it again. 6lb Shimano Match main, just 'cos I'm used to it. It's very similar to 4lb Sensor.

Edit: The spin up was on nylon.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
As you state you intend fishing a pit for tench and bream your choice of Sensor will be just tickity boo. You will probably find you dont need a separate hooklink for this type of fishing.
Bear in mind what I said about Sinkbraid and Merlin should you find you want a hooklink. They are very strong for the intended quarry.
After all you want strength for them especially if there is a chance of a stray carp.

Last edited: