Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Line help please

I have settled on buying sensor line in 4 and 6lb for float fishing a pit for tench and bream etc this summer.I may fish straight through sometimes but if not I can’t decide what make hooklengths to go for. I’m thinking 3 and 5 lb. Fluorocarbon? I’m either close in maybe laying on with a 1.25 Avon or on a waggler near an island with a 14 ft power waggler rod.Strongish hooks.Loop to loop or a mini swivel? Thanks

Default Re: Line help please

When I fish straight through on 6 Sensor its because I want strength and no week spots in a snag free environment for biggish fish.
    If I think I need a bit of finesse and or camouflage my hooklength will probably be Sinkbraid over gravel or Merlin green in a weedier spot.
    6lb Sinkbraid is very thin. Merlin not so thin but it wafts and resembles weed and fish are not put off by it. I think you can still get 8lb.

For the 4lb line for tench I may think that is light enough straight through and probably not put the tench or bream off at all. I feel 3lb bs hooklength might be too light for a 1.5 Avon or power waggler.

There again some may think I fish too heavy, but I do not like leaving hooks in fish.

Robbie C, this is bad news - you have inadvertantly started another "which line" thread, this will certainly lead to further arguments and debate!

For reel line I also use Sensor and for hook lengths Preston Reflo.

Please, please don't start a thread about centrepin reels, that's another dodgy subject on here!

Can you tell me what line I should use on what centrepin reel?

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    Robbie C, this is bad news - you have inadvertantly started another "which line" thread, this will certainly lead to further arguments and debate!

For reel line I also use Sensor and for hook lengths Preston Reflo.

Please, please don't start a thread about centrepin reels, that's another dodgy subject on here!
    Sorry lol. I did look at a lot of archive threads and saw all the discussions. That’s why I said I’m using sensor.All I need to know is what lines people use, especially for hooklengths in 3-5lb .Then I will do more research and make a choice.
    Funnily enough my first ever reel was a centre pin and I’m thinking of getting one for close in. I haven’t looked at any threads yet!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie C View Post
    Sorry lol. I did look at a lot of archive threads and saw all the discussions. That’s why I said I’m using sensor.All I need to know is what lines people use, especially for hooklengths in 3-5lb .Then I will do more research and make a choice.
    Funnily enough my first ever reel was a centre pin and I’m thinking of getting one for close in. I haven’t looked at any threads yet!
    For my float fishing I tend to use ‘Dave Harrel Pro Float line’ as it has all of the advantages of ‘Drennan Floatfish line’ like being abrasion resistant and being a good floating line that can also be sunk but a) Pro Float comes on 300mtr spools and b) it has a slightly thinner diameter than Floatfish.

Dave Harrell Angling Pro Float Fishing Line - Buy Online

Some of our well known and well respected Float anglers on FM use it too, which is why I first tried it.

Dave Harrels Pro Rig line is also a good hooklength line.

NB, I’ve changed over to using ‘Pro Float’ on my Centrepin too.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 08-04-2020 at 16:58.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    Can you tell me what line I should use on what centrepin reel?
    Has the centrepin got a line guard, ?
    This could possibly help members to reply,

Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    For my float fishing I tend to use ‘Dave Harrel Pro Float line’ as it has all of the advantages of ‘Drennan Floatfish line’ like being shot resistant and being a good floating line that can also be sunk but a) Pro Float comes on 300mtr spools and b) it has a slightly thinner diameter than Floatfish.

Dave Harrell Angling Pro Float Fishing Line - Buy Online

Some of our well known and well respected Float anglers on FM use it too, which is why I first tried it.

Keith
    Thanks Keith,
    It seems like a good line for trotting, but in still water I always sink the main line.What do you use for hooklengths?

You made a good choice in Sensor; a super line and great value.

Blog Entries

‘Pro Float’ can easily be fished below the surface too by using the usual flick of the rod tip to get it through the surface film.

Dave Harrels ‘Pro Rig line’ was designed specifically for hooklengths.

Keith
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast