10' float rod

dalesman

Reaction score
I am on the look out for a 10' float rod, but wanting to us insert, straight wagglers and super blues in the 2gr to 4gr weight range. Most of the rods I last looked where pellet waggler rods and designed for the heavier floats when fishing the pellet.

Any advise lads

sam vimes

Reaction score
You have a couple of viable paths.

1) Not all pellet waggler rods are equal, so keep looking around.

2) Settle for a foot longer and some genuine contenders emerge in current ranges. Look to the likes of the Drennan Matchpro Ultralight and Acolyte Ultra. Many propose the 11' Cadence No1, though I've never even clapped eyes on one.

3) Look for an old rod to modify. There are plenty of old school match rods that might fit the bill. If you can find one that's seen better days (cosmetically) it might make a good donor. Look out for rods with rodent damaged butts. Taking a hacksaw to such a rod is less of a wrench, especially when you get it cheap.

mikench

Reaction score
It's 10'6" with the dolly butt and 10' without, it's light, well made with quality guides, casts really well, is sensitive and Gordon and i like them so much we have two each. My second acquisition is a long story. It can be bought for £70 or less( I paid £56) and it comes in a quality bag.

What is it I hear you cry; it's a Greys Toreon Tactical float rod and is available as an 11'6" and 13'. I recommend it and I'm sure Gordon will advance his views. I think a few others have bought them as well. It's perfect for tight swims with overhead branches on small lakes and streams.

Reaction score
I have handled the 11ft no.1 Cadence,its a nice bit of kit,quite light in action....

wetthrough

Reaction score
As Mike has said, the 10'6" Toreon Tactical Float which can be had quite cheap at the moment £55 Greys - Toreon Tactical Float check if you can get them cheaper anywhere just in case. It's what I would call a soft action though which might not suit everyone. Capable of landing 6lb Carp and probably bigger but perfect for Crucians, Roach etc., for me anyway.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have a look at the Garbolino range of rods, depends what your budget is, for any brand of rod.

I actually have a 10' Garbolino Altima (since superseded by the Essential 2-Piece, which I suspect is largely a cosmetic upgrade), it is marked up as a "Match 10' Medium". However, a lot of the marketing blather said it was a pellet waggler rod. IMO, it's lighter actioned than most pellet waggler rods. It's not a really light actioned rod, but it's not overly powerful. I've used it with light wagglers on stillwaters and even as a beck rod. If the code sale20 works, it should bring the price down to £76 if bought from Vale Royal. It's also available from Angling Direct at £78.

Whilst it's not the best rod I have, it is the only 10'er. It's good enough to have not put me off buying the Altima Match 15' Power Specimen (for the right price) very recently.

Last edited:

trotter2

Reaction score
A John Wilson 10ft float rod was a great little rod and cheap. You may have to look for second hand as I think they're now discontinued. Failing that go for an 11 ft drennan,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I was going to mention the Garbolino Maxim, its 11'6"" two piece, twin tip rod, one float and the other quiver. Good action on both tips,
I bought mine 2nd hand for grandson,its like new.