New season targets and objectives

Aknib

Reaction score
I reckon many will be similar to mine in that getting out and enjoying being on the end of a rod will be enough as things stand.

But...

Ambition is a dangerous thing and we'll soon begin thinking about certain things once we're back into the routine so what are your aims and objectives for the new season?

Are you going to try a new method or maybe target a new pb and if so what is it?

How about a piece of tackle that you'll have to learn how to use, maybe a pole or a 'pin?

I'll be honest and say I'm struggling to single out anything in particular but that's because some are just rolling aims that are yet to be fulfilled, such as an enormous Perch but I reckon I'd like to get back into my Pike fishing this Winter, I've neglected it over the last couple of seasons and a browse over the gear the other day sparked definite enthusiasm.

A new pb Barbel would be nice too, I really ought to make more of an effort in that respect.

Either way, win or lose, I reckon it will be just as enjoyable as it's ever been... Perhaps even more so all things considered.

How about you?

Keith M

Reaction score
I want to catch a few of the nice sized Tench that we recently stocked into our estate lake. It’s been a few years since I caught my favourite species from there.

I might even do some very early mornings after them if it’s not too late in the year; something else that I haven’t done for a few years.

Keith

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll just try to make the best of venues close to me. My plan for the year was to fish one venue for tench in (mostly) March/April. May/June (ish) was onto another venue, again for tench. After that, I get a bit more slapdash adding an increasing amount of river fishing into the equation from July onwards.

Now it's largely a case of suck it and see. I don't much care if my plans go out of the window, provided I'm fit and healthy enough (or alive enough) to get out as soon as we are allowed. Even if angling were restricted to travelling no more than five miles, I'd be sorted. My syndicate is about two miles away and my closest bit of river about a mile further.

peterjg

Reaction score
To continue my roach quest. Did you know that some anglers actually deliberately fish for other species??? Too weird!!!

Reaction score
Just to get out. to sit inches from the water's edge, to watch a float disappear, or a quivertip pull round, or to feel a fish pick up a bait when touch-ledgering. To try to get my bait out for the carp without the coots getting to it, to try a new method - fishing the fly for some big feral trout in the Kennet, to lob a feeder under the trees for the chub on the Thames, to trot a float down river (river close season permitting), to smell a roach.
To just feed line off the reel through the rod rings, to tie a hook-length, to feel the rod flex as a cast is made, to appreciate the balance of a rod and reel as it sits in my hand, to slide a pole forwards and delicately place a float right next to the lilies.
Anything really - Oh God - didn't realise until I started this reply how much I'm missing it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm going to have a go for a silver bream and do more barbel fishing. I went from having hardly any quality fishing to having too much and last year I spent too long targetting the same species and then flitting about doing nothing particularly well....which is not like me at all.

All this subject of course to being allowed out.

Last edited:

ian g

Reaction score
I plan to target barbel on the float and try and do more lure fishing for pike and perch , just generally be more mobile in my fishing. That said just getting out would me nice , I've just spent half an hour in the garden practicing casting at plant pot with my baitcaster set up , not really the same as fishing.

mikench

Reaction score
Anything would make me deliriously happy but I will maintain my oft frustrated pursuit of tench. In no particular order I plan;

Light lure fishing with an unused rod.
Float fishing/ float legering for tench with another unused rod
Pike fishing
Canal fishing
Trotting on a river with a new rod.
All of the above bar the first with a new and unused pin( catching a rhododendron in the garden doesn't count)

I have no ambitions as to size or weight or location and just to set up, throw in some gb or maggots, thread the line through the eyes and cast in sounds b**** marvellous at the moment. I'm sure the current torture will seem a distant memory.

seth49

Reaction score
Two things.
First do more tench fishing with the new club I’ve joined.

Second land a twenty pound plus carp still trying after quite a few years.

David Gane

Reaction score
Avoiding the obvious answer about just getting out again I'd like to break the 25 lb pike barrier on a lure. Looks like my first week of the season booking on The Broads won't be happening but if I can get out later in the season it's still a viable proposition, so I'm ever hopeful.

I'm also a keen fly angler so as soon as I can get out to chuck some fluff I'll be doing that. Ambitions there include improving my casting technique. I was lucky enough to have a 1:1 lesson with Hywel Morgan last year. He gave me a number of very helpful pointers to improve my cast and I had been hoping to really put them into practice this spring and summer.

Being realistic though I reckon that most of us will be fishing as close to home as we can get for at least the first part of the season. As I live very close to The Trent in Nottinghamshire I suspect that I'm more likely to be targeting barbel than anything else, so a PB barbel would be nice too.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Once allowed out again then I was thinking about a concerted capaign for the Hampshire Avon Dace. I know a couple of hot spots that hold some decent specimens and one of those is on a syndicate so doesn't get much attention.

I also want to get back to my river fly fishing and again have a couple of permissions locally that provide some great sport for both brown trout and grayling.

Over in France I will be fishing the local river but there it seems that Czech Nymphing is the most used method, but I'll avoid that wherever possible in favour of a dry fly.

Last edited:

d.owens

Reaction score
My main ambition is to catch a good sized Perch; the reason I got back into angling.
Also looking to catch my first Barbel or Grayling & enjoy a rare spot of river fishing.
One of the things I'm working towards is to simplify my fishing. I already take very little tackle with me and fish very basic rigs. I'm going to continue like this and aim to increase both my mobility and pleasure, by decreasing the clutter.

xenon

Reaction score
frankly I don't care what it is at the moment. I am going slightly round the bend being cooped up like this, but there is no sensible alternative right now.

steve2

Reaction score
Looking at tonight's news we won't be going fishing anywhere soon. So it looks like planing for the winter.

Philip

Reaction score
Second land a twenty pound plus carp still trying after quite a few years

Judging by all the nice ones you regularly post photos of I recon your goal cant be too far off. Fingers crossed this will be the year ;-)

Aknib

Reaction score
frankly I don't care what it is at the moment. I am going slightly round the bend being cooped up like this, but there is no sensible alternative right now.

Looking at tonight's news we won't be going fishing anywhere soon. So it looks like planing for the winter.

Keep the faith fellas and take one day at a time.

It's a glimpse in the overall scheme of things and we're fortunate enough to live in a country where we're not forced to make such stark choices as some.

Food is plentiful and whatever their performance government is scrutinised, steered and reactive within the constraints it has to work with.

Forget what you've become conditioned to and return to manufacturers settings, it's not that hard when you let go and think about what's really important.

And the fact that we will get there :)

Having said that, A nice Tench would be a boon this Summer...

stillwater blue

Reaction score
I've set myself the challenge of 10 different species on the fly, I'm so keen I've even tied a box of flies during the lock down period

silvers

Reaction score
as a match angler my ambitions for 2020 are probably more constrained - but assuming we get the go ahead
1. early season qualifiers for a big money (relatively) final on the Great Ouse (Vauxhall were going to be organising this but no news yet)
2. qualify for Riverfest Final at Burton Joyce in early October
3. frame in the Bedford Hospital Cup early september (win would be nice :wh)
4. frame in the Wye Champs at the end of October.

obviously any advance on that would be great

outside matches and the obvious going out and enjoying the fishing - I'd like to do some more bream fishing this year - perhaps even try to catch them on the slider at Earlswood lakes (usual method is a decent chuck with a groundbait feeder)