River Trent

Paste paul

Reaction score
Hey guys.......
It’s many many years ago since I fished the river Trent.........
I was just wondering if any of you guys fish it nowadays?
If so which lengths do you fish ? And also what methods do you use ?
I’m thinking when we get back fishing I would like to have a go
Cheers

Aknib

Reaction score
It might be worth joining one of the numerous clubs if you feel like fishing the river frequently, there are however some good day ticket stretches available.

Bob's Island in Newark town centre has always been popular and always will be, largely due to the easy accessibility and the weir which runs off the bottom of Newark Dyke and has all character of swims from fast, shallow runs to deep and steady glides.

You may well get a monster Barbel from this stretch especially during flood and a ride out there to walk it at low water will show you the cuts outs in the bank to note, there's also good mixed fishing and particularly Zander which in turn tells you that the silvers fishing is good.

Bear in mind the traffic it sees with town centre location and behind the peg parking but don't let it put you off, it can make it tricky at times but think outside the box with methods and bait and you'll catch whatever.

Nottingham Piscatorial Society have some good day ticket fishing available at Fiskerton and Rolleston, day tickets available (definitely not on the bank) in advance from various tackle shops or contact the society via their website.

Nice waters there which lend themselves to stick of waggler, many will stick it out for the odd bite and big bait on the tip but put the float out, keep feeding every run through and it might take a couple of hours or so, in which time you'll be catching other fish, but the Barbel will show.

Also big Bream bags turn up on these stretches, there are favoured pegs but they can be a bit more nomadic at times and a walk along the stretches at dawn will tell you where they are as they porpoise.

Kelham Hall is a popular stretch, generally a shallow stick float water where it's not encouraged to go beyond mid-river due to the occupying club on the other side and the rock edges on the drop off to deeper water which will cut you off should you try but if bites and fish are your thing, just wading out and running a float off your boots, it's a lovely stretch with parking behind your swim.

You'll also be able to get away with telling the missus you're taking her for a picnic in a lovely riverside meadow beside an ancient monastery where the dog can run around and then sneak the rods out once she's well into her book ;)

Not sure about the ticket arrangements but can't see it being anything complex, I'd be surprised if they don't have a website.

Last edited:

Paste paul

Reaction score
This is an awesome post thanks......
I’ve fished Kelham in the past ......
The Newark dyke stretch on the weir if it’s the same place I’m thinking of we used to call it reds bridge ???? My dad used to get us up at 3.30 am and get there before daylight so we could get the weir pegs.........
I remember my dad catching some big chub on luncheon meat from there........ when I hit my teens me and my brother used to catch the train into Newark and walk there ..... had some lovely days out...... when I learned to drive we used to go with John dean stick floats and casters ....... I had my first real bag of roach from there........ it changed slightly when they built the bridge overhead but didn’t spoil the fishing....
As I got older we used to fish the Trent more and more Dunham bridge gunthorpe bridge Burton joyce all the usual spots ......
Great memories

Aknib

Reaction score
The Newark dyke stretch on the weir if it’s the same place I’m thinking of we used to call it reds bridge ????

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same place Paul, back at the time it would have been a working scrapyard.

In fact it's only relatively recently I've referred to it as Bob's Island, prior to that it's always been the 'scrapyard stretch', if you Google Earth it it's directly opposite Tolney Lane where my dad used to run the local slaughterhouse.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same place Paul, back at the time it would have been a working scrapyard.

In fact it's only relatively recently I've referred to it as Bob's Island, prior to that it's always been the 'scrapyard stretch', if you Google Earth it it's directly opposite Tolney Lane where my dad used to run the local slaughterhouse.

I’ve had a look ....... it’s funny how memory plays tricks but yes I think it’s the same place ......... I followed it down from winthorpe bridge.....it looks like it’s all a bit more modern from when I was last there but looks great ....