Bread blending additives???

Just Paul 1

Reaction score
What's best thing to mix with home blended bread crumb for canal, any tips ???

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Most commercial groudbait consit of; feed particles, attractants, colourings, binders and flavourings.

Depending on your target species (and typical sizes) then you should adjust the basics to suit so it is very difficult to offer advice.

Personally, I rarely, if ever, use a home made groundbait preferring tried and tested continental mixes that have well balanced ingredients and are really not that expensive in the overall sheme of things.

rayner

Reaction score
What's best thing to mix with home blended bread crumb for canal, any tips ???

Are you speaking of liquidised bread? if so licky bread doesn't really need any flavouring if you do need to flavour liquidised bread perhaps try aniseed, I have only ever fed hemp with licky.
If you are trying to make your own groundbait Peter is right. You'll never get a groundbait to compare with a branded mix, companies put a lot of effort into making quality products. OK some mix their own and think they are very good, they may save a quid or two but the quality can not be equalled for me.

I've tried all manner of ingredients to make my own GB none ever worked as well as a manufactured mix.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
I've used liquidised bread this winter with good results (chub, roach,bream), and will keep using it over the summer to see (assuming I'll go fishing of course...).
A cheap white loaf from Aldi is ok - about 40 p.
Then, I add either liquidised vitalin (just a bit) or, more simply, ground cinnamon or other species (ahout 30p).
Worked super well and the price is quite good.

Something to consider is how to use the resulting groundbait. In a feeder, a drop of water is ok. In a shallow canal for throwing a few balls as well. Now if I was on the Meuse with a 10 to 40 meter depth I'm not sure a ball would reach the bottom.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Lo-Salt is a great attractor with no feed element. I add it liberally to liquidised bread and for bait a few slices of Warburtons finest. I cut the crusts off and steam each slice for a couple of seconds, sprinkle with low salt on and then roll it with a pin. It works well. I use a Drennan flake punch but you can cut it into strips and nip a bit off with your thumb nail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Custard powder, various flavours of angel delight.
If liquidized bread add some hemp seed. I have used liquidized bread with and without hemp, not much difference in catch rate, Try liquidizing brown bread as well, that works , Whether using white or brown liquidized dont feed to much, it is very filling to a fish, I freeze and liquidize a few times to get it as fine as possible, and always with crusts off.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Have you tried colouring it !
I’ve coloured bread paste before red and yellow I just added a few drops of food colouring.....
It might work with bread crumb....
I used to add vanilla flavouring to my ground bait too ..... if nothing else it smells nice !

rayner

Reaction score
Custard powder, various flavours of angel delight.
If liquidized bread add some hemp seed. I have used liquidized bread with and without hemp, not much difference in catch rate, Try liquidizing brown bread as well, that works , Whether using white or brown liquidized dont feed to much, it is very filling to a fish, I freeze and liquidize a few times to get it as fine as possible, and always with crusts off.

I always use hemp with liquidised bread, if you keep putting bread on the hook you'll not spot a difference. It's the hemp on the hook that makes the difference if the fish turn on to it.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I always use hemp with liquidised bread, if you keep putting bread on the hook you'll not spot a difference. It's the hemp on the hook that makes the difference if the fish turn on to it.

The canal and a couple of pools around Warrington ,the fish prefer bread punch on the hook and hemp as feed, I did nearly 20lb of silvers in a match on one of the pools by feeding hemp and fishing bread, I had tried hemp on the hook but bites irregular, whereas punch was instant bite.

rayner

Reaction score
Like I said if fish turn on to it. punch as always been an instant bait, careful feeding keeps fish going all through the session. I only fish commercials now that's probably why fish readily turn to hemp. A change hook bait to hemp gets me better sized roach then altering to tare gets an even better stamp. Only if the fish first turn on to hemp first can you use tares, they're a waste of time if they first refuse hemp. Bread punch seems to get bites from tiny fish and the only way to get a better stamp are seed baits.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I used to fish hemp a lot on the local canal, had some good roach on it, I disagree about tiny fish on punch, if you are on about blade skimmers and 2oz roach. Some of the skimmers and roach I have had on punch have been over 8oz, Try a large punch on a commercial, slow drop against stick ups on far side, Some good margin carp to be had.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I used to fish hemp a lot on the local canal, had some good roach on it, I disagree about tiny fish on punch, if you are on about blade skimmers and 2oz roach. Some of the skimmers and roach I have had on punch have been over 8oz, Try a large punch on a commercial, slow drop against stick ups on far side, Some good margin carp to be had.

I won an open match at one of my local commercial venues With bread punch across to the far bank...... definitely works because if I can do it anyone can

Paste paul

Reaction score
Like I said if fish turn on to it. punch as always been an instant bait, careful feeding keeps fish going all through the session. I only fish commercials now that's probably why fish readily turn to hemp. A change hook bait to hemp gets me better sized roach then altering to tare gets an even better stamp. Only if the fish first turn on to hemp first can you use tares, they're a waste of time if they first refuse hemp. Bread punch seems to get bites from tiny fish and the only way to get a better stamp are seed baits.

Is there any particular reason you only fish commercial waters now ?

Tree123

Reaction score
I dont really buy ground bait. Personally i dont think it catches extra fish and some of it is getting pricey
There is plenty so much cheaper and equally effective ones if you look around.
I just use mashed bread. Not great for deep venues or if you want slower breakdown. I shall be trying crumb and vitalin this year for that Used it years ago but i dont think it did it right.

rayner

Reaction score

I only use bread punch when the weather turns too cold, using bead punch in warmer weather simply attracts too many carp.
Carp would simply trash my rigs and even put my whips at risk.
The tiny roach or always fist to be attracted by the feed, around 20 to the pound, I suppose it depends where you fish. Seed baits will always is the way for better fish.
The water I fish belongs to the EA, they have some sort of policy to remove roach every few years for breeding which doesn't help silverfish anglers.
I could fish better waters for silvers but the comfort where I fish can't be matched for me.

Is there any particular reason you only fish commercial waters now ?

Nothing sinister just health issues.

Paste paul

Reaction score
I only use bread punch when the weather turns too cold, using bead punch in warmer weather simply attracts too many carp.
Carp would simply trash my rigs and even put my whips at risk.
The tiny roach or always fist to be attracted by the feed, around 20 to the pound, I suppose it depends where you fish. Seed baits will always is the way for better fish.
The water I fish belongs to the EA, they have some sort of policy to remove roach every few years for breeding which doesn't help silverfish anglers.
I could fish better waters for silvers but the comfort where I fish can't be matched for me.

Nothing sinister just health issues.

I’m sorry to hear that ....... do you fish for roach on the commercial waters ? It would be interesting to see how you get on ?

rayner

Reaction score
Generally, I fish for roach and skimmers, all my fishing before was on the Trent or reservoirs. We in Sheffield are blessed with the number of reservoirs, my favourite was Southfield near Thorne. Far too tricky for me to manage now, commercials are my only option.
Fishing carp dominated waters I always fish for them at some stage through the season but they soon lose my attention.
Don't worry about my condition I don't it's just a hindrance.