Freezing maggots

Paste paul

Reaction score
If I freeze maggots, will they revive days later ??

No it kills them but if you want to keep them a while put them in a bag take out the air and tie a knot ...... now put them in the fridge...... they will last up to 2 weeks like this....... when you take them out of the fridge they appear dead but they will come back to life....... the longer they are in the fridge it seems the longer they take to revive...... bear in mind they won’t last forever in a bag/fridge but it does stop them turning into casters and when they are revived they are the same as when you put them there....maggots in a fridge that’s in a bait box shrink and get tough skins and they will start to turn..... also they tend to escape!

rayner

Reaction score
Freeze them for just a day and they will revive. Paste paul is bang on with his idea of keeping maggots in a bag. It's by far the best way to keep them for any length of time. In the same theme, I keep my maggots or casters in a pellet pump, it keeps them fresher longer just like bagging them. With a pump or in the fridge to obtain their freshness just give the maggots or casters a few minutes fresh air daily.
The fridge for me is an outdated way of saving fresh bait, OK they will last longer Pp is correct again with skins toughening. Pinkies, for example, will last it seems forever in the fridge but the tough skins are a recipe for fewer bites.
I know you'll get bites on fridged bait but more bites with fish holding on seem far better.