Plumbing up when you have a bait band hair rig

Drynet50

Reaction score
I might be missing something obvious here but quite used to putting my hook lengths through the eye of a plummet and into the cork bottom when plumbing up but lately I've started making my own 4" hair rig hooklengths with a pellet band on. This prevents me passing the hook through the plummet.
What am I missing here?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Paste paul

Reaction score
You’re not missing anything it does make it awkward to use a plummet.....
The options I know about are.......
Pinch a swan shot onto a bit of silicone tube and put your hook through the tube ....... you just add an inch or so onto the depth to compensate.....
You could at one time buy a plummet that the hook goes through a wire loop on the top and a bit of silicone pushes up to stop the hook coming off.....
Or put a normal hook length on plumb up then swap the hook length.....
Or just pinch a swan shot onto the hook itself .....
Hope this helps

Philip

Reaction score
A suggestion I gained on here was to just use a loop of line and a couple of large shot pinched on it. Place the loop of line onto the bend of the hook and slide the shot up to trap it.

Hey presto a super simple hook friendly plummet.

rayner

Reaction score
GURU make an inline plummet, I always thought it a little pointless but it will work splendidly with a bait band.
Personally I always plummet up but rarely fish dead depth, I'm either laid on or up in the water. I always make sure I know the exact depth before starting.

Drynet50

Reaction score
I use clip on plummets on my bottom shot, that way ii have an idea of how much over depth I am.
I cant see the point of these inline plummets, how many canal,river,lake, gravel pit bottoms are like billiard tables ,?
I hadn't realised the idea of those inline plummets or that they existed but rather than buy some, I can cut a slot with my hacksaw into some of the plummets I have.

For pole fishing, it's all about the lake bed in that 10 inch dinner plate your trying to present I guess.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I hadn't realised the idea of those inline plummets or that they existed but rather than buy some, I can cut a slot with my hacksaw into some of the plummets I have.

For pole fishing, it's all about the lake bed in that 10 inch dinner plate your trying to present I guess.

Again no swim is a 100% flat, there is nothing to stop you fishing away from your feed area to pick wary fish off.
Put groundbait overall shoal of bream and you wont see them again for at least an hour,
The only way you will get your feed down around a dinner plate sized area is to use a cupping kit,and then you have to factor in the bend on cupping kit,

rayner

Reaction score
Again no swim is a 100% flat, there is nothing to stop you fishing away from your feed area to pick wary fish off.
Put groundbait overall shoal of bream and you wont see them again for at least an hour,
The only way you will get your feed down around a dinner plate sized area is to use a cupping kit,and then you have to factor in the bend on cupping kit,

I totally agree with Mark, bream are notoriously skittish when on the feed. Feeding over their heads certainly kills the swim for a while.
Losing a fish in the swim can and does disturb skimmers in particular, for the entire day.
When fishing in general Drynet, do you never fish away from you baited swim to pick off fish?

Drynet50

Reaction score
Never tried that but I guess my inaccurate rig laying or choice of float for the conditions would have me drifting around more than I " should" anyways. So probably by default i have.