How to pole fish when the fish are up in the water

Drynet50

Reaction score
So, I'm fairly confident in the shallows of the margins and have been getting better at proper shallow fishing ( like 10" deep or less kind of shallow) in the summer and pinging the pellets in.

Where I'm unsure what to do is say I've got 4 / 5 / 6 feet of water out in front of me, in open water. I cup some pellets in to start and fish over them on the deck. I've also got a margin rig set up and maybe a very shallow or jigga set up too. ( 3 top kits). The fish aren't topping but I suspect they dont wanna feed on the deck. What do you guys do? Shallow up a bit an inch or so maybe a few inches at at time till bites become more positive? Would you stay on the same rig for a while to see? What about feeding now, those hard pellets I cupped in on the deck are gonna sink too fast to be feeding them.????

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would fish maggot feed caster, have a rig for on the deck , and one set at 3/4 depth to start , shallow up by few inches at a time until you get bites,
The idea of fish maggot feed caster is that if you miss a bite on maggot you can go straight back in, if fish caster there is a chance of getting shelled.
Alternatively fish banded pellet and feed hard pellet. Just feed little and often, maybe 3 casters or pellets at a time, you want the fish competing for food.
If allowed tap pole tip on surface of water, the sound attracts the fish without feeding, fill cad pot with water and pour small amount in slowly, again no feed is going in, and finally try slapping the rig on the surface, if use this method keep checking topkits for working loose, and again sound on surface but no feed going in.
Hope the above helps, if not I will tell you about super soaker/water pistol method

Last edited:

Paste paul

Reaction score
It depends on the type of fishery and the target species......
If it’s a commercial and carp you’re targeting then I would have a deck rig as normal and have a shallow rig set up .......
I would pot some pellets in and fish over them .... sometimes you will have a good few fish of the deck...... but I would be feeding the whole time over the baited area with a catapult the idea being it draws fish in and brings them up in the water .....
When the bites start going iffy or you’re getting line bites etc it’s time to move onto the shallow rig......
A good rhythm is feed feed lift and drop ...... vary the feeding 3or 4 pellets then a dozen .... then 2 pouches then 1 pouch you get the idea......
If bites aren’t fourth coming keep moving your float and go shallower....... a good starting point in 6ft of water is about 2 to 3ft deep but you often need to go a lot shallower.....
Also slapping the float will often induce a bite.....
Don’t forget the deck rig keep giving it a go you will often pick an odd fish up and on occasion the fish do stay on the deck but this is rare.....
But remember don’t stop feeding.....
Another approach I use if f1 fishing is to set my deck rig up and fish this at the bottom of the near side shelf ....... start at 10 o’clock in your swim feed only a kinder pot of bait then pick up as many fish as you can maybe 5....... then move straight out in front and repeat the process ...... then move to 2 o’clock and do the same ...... it’s usually 2+2 distance out.......
While you’re doing this feed all the time at 13 or 14m keep pinging when the near lines dry up ( usually 1to 2 hrs) go over the long line with your shallow rig you’ll be surprised how the fish line up........you can normally have a good couple of hours at this....... then your last hour or so go down your margins..........
I normally use 4mm pellets fr both these approaches but I will go to 6mm if I’m expecting big fish........ I tend to use a 6mm on the hook......
This is usually for a pond lake or where you haven’t got a far bank margin like on a snake canal.....
I approach snake canals different......

Drynet50

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll try that out on my next adventure in open water. I enjoy fishing up the slope on an island peg even if its 16m but never really got my head round what to do when I havent got an island to reach.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

rayner

Reaction score
I rarely fish pellet up in the water with my pole. they attract carp not really what I want. Had I still fished matches that would be a different matter. I will say 4 mm pellets are a better feed because they sink slower.
I prefer caster with a worm head on the hook.
It's all about the feeding, normally I start in the top 2 ft of the swim, I have three top kits set at different depths, some time during the session all three will be used.
Fish tend to go up and down with no rhyme or reason so be ready to follow them, missed bites are mostly because the fish have come higher no bites is typically because they have dropped lower, roach are easy to get up in the water. Ide is another fish that prefer to chase baits off bottom and easy to get up.
Carp also but the less I talk of them the better :wh

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would also fish a short a line as possible between pole tip and float especially if near an island, Check fishery rules on length of line aloud,
Some fisheries banned the use of filling kinder pots with water and pouring it in,on the basis of no feed was going in only the bait on the hook, A way round it was to use a super soaker, have one filled and primed , pole lined up on far bank, aim and fire jet of water over pole tip. It was good watching a group of Allegedly grown up blokes fishing and using supersoakers.
Obviously there were one or two lousy shots and an angler a few pegs away would get wet, !! This led to scenes reminiscent of gunfight at the ok corral.