Keeping maggots in fridge ???

ian g

Reaction score
Paul , it depends how you keep them , they will last longer in a tray , I use a cat litter tray as they are spread out rather than in a bait box . My fridge is in the shed by the way:) I think somebody mentioned in another post about putting them in a plastic bag and squeezing the air out , never tried that . In a cool fridge in a tray I get a couple of weeks out of mine they won't be the best but will do for the local cut.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
We used to work on 1,100 degree hours from fresh.

So assuming the fridge is 3 degrees then about 11 to 12 days.

That is a rule of thumb and I’m sure some people will say longer but when we used to import large quantities that worked well.

Keith M

Reaction score
Maggots kept in my bait fridge usually last me up to around 2 weeks during the warmer months before they start to change into caster, but I usually have to change the Maize meal or bran flakes in them a few times too to ensure that they are not starting to sweat at all.

My Pinkies last a couple of weeks extra (around 4 weeks) before they start to change to caster.

But these timings vary depending on the quality of them and how fresh they were before storing them in the bait fridge.

Keith

Last edited:

GT56

Reaction score
I think it was Jan Porter who recommended storing them in a plastic bag with all the air squeezed out and its certainly works for me. I take them out of the fridge the night before I'm fishing and empty them out into a bait tub. Then depending on the over night temperature, I'll leave them on the garage floor or pop them back in the fridge. You can always warm them up in the foot well of your vehicle on route in the morning.
I can't say how long they last but with an occasional riddle and fresh maze you can't go wrong.

rayner

Reaction score
Casters and maggots can last for ages in a pellet pump, I used to use the bag method that GT56 mentioned. I didn't know Jan Porter recommended the idea though, I was told by a chap who worked in a tackle shop in the 80s.
With the pellet pump, it only takes minutes to let a bit of air in, something that needs doing every day to keep the bait in tip-top condition.
Maggots with the feed spot in them can be stored for a few weeks with the feed spot hardly reducing, that's how effective the bag or pump method works. I use it more for casters more than maggots, I rarely buy maggots preferring casters for my fishing.
If left for a few days without giving them a breath of air they will die.
I bought an extra pump for keeping bait, pellet pumps aren't needed now for expanders with the excellent Pro expanders.

Aknib

Reaction score
I might forward this thread to the tackle shop where I bought these from today, all these on the riddle are dead...

To be fair my usual tackle shop is still closed and I'm giving this one the benefit of the doubt due to the current circumstances but a pint of deads in two and a half pints isn't great by any standards.

At least it gives me a session tomorrow, i'll be out cutting greens at 3.30am so as soon as I've finished around 8am I will be off and over to a local estate pond to see if the float will go under and I'm grateful of the chance.

Conditions are looking favourable...

seth49

Reaction score
As an aside to this, I have an old fridge and freezer in my outside brick store with a concrete roof, and in sunny weather it got very hot and meant they had to work hard to keep things cold or frozen.

So I got some white masonry paint and painted the east and south sides plus the roof, worked a treat so far, it’s only gets to seventy degrees now, instead of the high nineties, it’s made a big difference to the temperatures inside, should save some electric too, as there not working as hard.

I’ve found i get about two weeks extra time with the maggots, till they start shrinking and going tough, first time I saw that trick with the plastic bag it was on one of Matt Hayes programs, think Jan Porter was with him, and they were going abroad.

wetthrough

Reaction score
So I got some white masonry paint and painted the east and south sides plus the roof,

Flat roofs are painted with special reflective paint. If you want to keep it even cooler it might be worth investigating.

rayner

Reaction score
I might forward this thread to the tackle shop where I bought these from today, all these on the riddle are dead...

To be fair my usual tackle shop is still closed and I'm giving this one the benefit of the doubt due to the current circumstances but a pint of deads in two and a half pints isn't great by any standards.

At least it gives me a session tomorrow, i'll be out cutting greens at 3.30am so as soon as I've finished around 8am I will be off and over to a local estate pond to see if the float will go under and I'm grateful of the chance.

Conditions are looking favourable...

Get them in the freezer, they look fresh enough even though dead. they'll be good for feed and hook baits.
I doubt fish know if they're dead or not.

Just Paul 1

Reaction score
Hi ian, that's my problem solved by the sound of it, I've been keeping mine in a standard bait box, boy do they sweat. Thanks matie.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
You really need to keep them cool and to change the maize meal (or chosen medium) a couple of times a week to keep them in best condition.

I use the old Sensas green maggot trays and ridddle them every time I chance the maize meal.

ian g

Reaction score
Hi ian, that's my problem solved by the sound of it, I've been keeping mine in a standard bait box, boy do they sweat. Thanks matie.

No problem Paul , can't claim any credit , just something I picked up on here a few years ago .

Reaction score
Strangley I keep my maggots in 3pt or larger bait boxes,but only a pint and a half in each,I had an event where I hadn't put enough maize meal in a tray full of maggot and they did a great escape,not many but enough to be a pain and as I have two Bosch fridge freezers stood next to each other at the edge of the kitchen,the older one has my bait in the fridge section,swmo didnt get wind of it so all is good,phew,in winter I find my maggot is good for three weeks....

nottskev

Reaction score
What's your best idea for keeping maggots as soft-skinned as possible? They get unattractively - to fish - rubbery after a while in the fridge. Maize meal keeps them dry. Bran is an alternative I've used lately.
It's all very well keeping them alive; keeping them in good condition proves tougher.

Actually, there are times when it seems harder to kill maggots than to keep them alive. Sunday lunchtime I killed half a pint of maggots by the usual method when I want them to stay plump and keep their colour - in a bag, air out, in a tub of water, progressively adding hot water from the kettle til all wriggling ceases (too hot too quick and they blanche) and leaving the bag in the hot water for a while. They stayed dead through Sunday evening's session. The remainder stayed dead in the fridge til Tuesday evening. After remaining "dead" for a few hours in the sun, they started to move again as I was packing up....