Pole fishing maggots on top of water

Paste paul

Reaction score
You could use floating maggots simply put a few in a bait box with a little bit of water after a short while they will float.......
You could then put a short piece of line on the pole with a small hook and put 2 or 3 floaters on that......
p.s the maggots will crawl out of the box the best way to combat this is to cut an hole in your bait box lid so you can pick them out but it stops them crawling out......
Or you could use rubber maggots.......
If you would like a casting weight or float as such cut the ends of a plastic disgorger and put a 3 inch length on the line using a float sleeve at both ends so it’s fixed top and bottom so to speak...... it will lay flat on the water but will give you some weight to your line.....
Don’t look at the float for bites watch the maggots......
When we used to fish for roach shallow we would often run the line between our thumb and finger nails it causes it to curl and looks like a pig tail ........ you can watch it straighten out to spot a bite........

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Another way which on its day is deadly ,but make sure the fishery allows it, It involves fishing shallow,
Put a length of line on pole connector,of around 3' thread a bullet lead up the the line, ( trial and error will determine best weight to use, ) then follow this with a float/feeder stop set at say 12" ,then tie on preferred type/size of hook, catty a few maggots out ,floaters or sinkers, lower pole rig in water, the bullet lead will keep line taught, Then watch the elastic or connector start to move when fish takes the bait. This basically is a self hooking rig. It can also be utilized by sliding float stop up the line and keep bullet lead out of the water. This will give a slower fall of bait, Again its self hooking.
Keep feeding little and often when using this method.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Is there a way I can pole fish maggots on top of water? How do I float them to look presentable?

You can just dob them on the surface as if fishing with bread on the pole, it's a deadly method if you have features you can fish to. When dobbing maggots(also works with corn or worms) is to let them sink a few inches against features then bring back to surface , repeat as often as you like.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A possibility also might be like when dapping a fly on the surface where only the fly actually touches the water.

While it is possible with a fly rod to dap successfully I'm not sure about holding a pole in that manner for long, but if fishing the near bank it might be possible.

Otherwise, as has been noted, a little water in the bottom of a bait box and a few maggots left in there will make them buoyant, at least for a while, and maube consider using a dloatant on the line close to the hook

rayner

Reaction score
This time of year is when I normally fish casters up in the water, you could change the casters for maggot.
The shortest rig I use is 12", floats have to be used for me. Try to keep the line between the pole tip and float 3" or 4" short hook lengths around the same 3" or 4" with the shot all bulked at the hook length knot that gives you a bolt rig coupled with the short line from the tip. It all depends on fishery rules the amount of line between tip and float, some fisheries insist on a certain length of line to prevent the bolt rig type of rigs.
I always have three rigs 12" 16" and 20". I normally will use all three rigs throughout the session. Feeding is everything when fishing shallow, get that right and a good day is on the cards. No bites = fish deeper missed bites = fish shallower.
Typically I fish no more than two plus two that's 5mtr up in the water mostly for feeding by hand.
If fish refuse to come up it does happen but rare in summer, fish a jigger.