trotting with a centerpin reel

michael demetriou

Reaction score
is a drennan carp logic 13ft weight 200g downfource 330g progressive power special cushiontip to reduce hook pulls reel lines 3lbs-6lbs hook lenth 2lbs-5lbs max distance cast weight 20g+ cuppled with a okuma aventa vt1002 center pin reel any good for trotting for chubb an maybe barble, or even mullet when i go to the west coast next.

hope you can help

keora

Reaction score
By downforce do you mean test curve, which is the tension in the line at which the tip of the rod bends until it is at 90 degrees to the butt section.

If it is, then the test curve is about 12ozs and the rod will be OK for trotting. If you are fishing for chub/barbel then I would use 5lb breaking strain line.

Centre pin reels are versatile because of their simple construction so you can match them with a wide variety of rods

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Sounds a perfect mullet set up in my book.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I can't wait to use my centre pin this year! /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Donald Bain

Reaction score
I use an old Shakespeare Spliced tip Aerial 13ft rod for this type of trotting, together with my Rapidex, Leeds 41/2inch ir speedia centrepin, loaded with 4lb line, floating of course.

Brilliant on my local rivers with bread flake, cheese or maggots. Think the rod you're talking about might do the job but you can't beat a spliced tip for trotting, so soft on the strike at a distance.

Maggie

Reaction score
Like Wendy I can't wait to use my centrepin either!

I havean inexpensive'Mitchellpower float rod' which is meant for Carp & Tench on commercials etc.which I am hoping is ok for trotting for Chub andsmallish Barbel; if not I will have to use my Barbel rod and hope the line doesn't stick to the rod too much.

Hi Wendy /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Muffin

Reaction score
I did find out last weekend that a stickfloat rod (Map Ultra II) does struggle on a river thats pushing through whilst being attached at a 4lb plus chub!

One thing I would say though is that a light tip rod will have the benefit of reducing hook pulls and you do have lots of cushioning for the lunges of a fish, but very little control! However you can still land big fish if your set up is balanced correctly, and I think thats more important than what rod you use, is to balance your tackle to your rod.

One thing I would say is even if you are fishing for Barbel and Big chub does not mean thats what you will catch, and I preferred a lighter action rod as you get agood fight from whatever you catch even if thats not your chosen target, (eg roach and smaller chub)

I dont think there is the need for a spliced tip with the new technology in rods now, and that there are some very good light action rods on the market without a spliced tip.

Good Luck and hope you get your target fish!

Simon

Donald Bain

Reaction score
Just to add to my earlier post, when I trot for barbel I use my John Wilson Avon rod, superb for the job. My trusty G&Y Sea Jecta reel loaded with 8lb line, brilliant for barbel upto 9-10 ibs.

Maggie

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Donald Bain wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Just to add to my earlier post, when I trot for barbel I use my John Wilson Avon rod, superb for the job. My trusty G&Y Sea Jecta reel loaded with 8lb line, brilliant for barbel upto 9-10 ibs.</blockquote>
I have a John Wilson Avon rod but it is an older one with the sliding reel fittings and I haven't used it much because the reel sometimes slips out of the sliding reel fittings although the rod is really nice. I have heard someone saying that a short piece of bike innertube on the handle stops this happening so I might have a go at trotting with this rod on the smaller narrower streams that I fish.