Captain calamity

LongMan

Reaction score
What a last day of the season. First I forgot my chair, not a problem I think, often go without one. Then I setup to feeder fish a spot I have fancied all winter but never got round to, first cast, wrapround bite, Chub(I think) on, just try to steer it away from the far side willow and the hooklength gives. Ok try again, 1/2 oz lead this time, no feeder, may have been the feeder got caught up, b****r me the same thing happens, my usual 5lb hooklength gives again on what I think was a good Chub, so I leave that swim thinking that maybe its an underwater snag. Move to a stretch up river I am used to in an attempt to calm my nerves, bait a few swims with mashed bread/hemp, sit down (on the ground, no chair) and have a cuppa. Karma is returning to normal. First chuck in to a lovelly little far bank crease, tip goes roung within 10 seconds and a lovelly little Chub of about 2.5lbs graces my net,<u> I don't bother weighing it</u>, a quick photo and I slip him back further upstream as I confident of another from the same spot, and then these apear in front of me:
red_deer.jpg

A cracking view of a group of Red Deer on the opposite bank, they mill about above the crease I am fishing, so I take a little video of the rare opportunity, and then one or two of them sense/smell me and proceed to destroy any further chances in that swim, See video Ok I think thats no problem I have another spot prepped and that was a rare sight.On to the next swim and another handfull of mash/hemp goes in, quick cuppa, this swim has always been kind to me, near bank raft created by an over hanging willow, cast just upstream with 2 ssg's and let it swing under, the cast is spot on, everthing is right and I know I am gonna get a bite and I do, the strike meets a good resistance and the usual battle begins with the fish playing stalemate under the raft then ducking and diving to get under the near bank, it's soon under my feet and I see the best Chub I have hooked all winter, got to be a 5+ I think, in the net she goes and I am thinking I have just broke my modest PB of 5.2 on the last day of the season.Up on to the bank, unscrew the landing handle, ready to weigh, right hand holding the net with Chub in, left hand feeling around in the bag for the scales, oh b******s. Scales are left on the kitchen table from last night, after weighing various household items to verify them! I could have cried, I have the camera and take a couple of pictures of each side.Bitter sweet moment, maybe a PB, no scales, but it was a cracking Chub, absolutely pristine condition, a full belly and I estimated a low 5 but recorded it as a high 4 in my log.
2.jpg

1.jpg

I decide to call it a day there and then. What a day, and to top it all off, as I am packing up I use a bank stick to help me get up (back ache, no chair) and snap, the top falls off in my hand. ROLL ON JUNE 16thScott.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Did you use your hangers/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Nice fishing and great to see the Deer, thats what makes fishing so good.

LongMan

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Did you use your hangers/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>If I had of taken them, I am sure they would have broken. /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Explains the look of ecstatic happiness in the camera shots /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif - had the thought of fresh venison crossed your mind?

Still you got out - I thought I had planned a final evening on the Mersey, 5 minutes from house -on the excuse of taking my mother (over from Australia) for a walk along the river....when, fortunately for domestic harmony, eldest son asked "It is tonight you're going to see Ed Byrne, live at the Lowery?" - thanks son...was just about to open mouth...would have been yet another week of deaf and dumb breakfasts!!!

marie marling

Reaction score
Bad luck about the scales ETC /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gifbetter luck next time Roll on June./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
Well done in the end Scott it looks about 4lb 8oz+ you had bad luck but you didnt blank and that one good thing next time take some 6lb line just in case. good luck for June

LongMan

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>chub angler wrote (see)
</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Well done in the end Scott it looks about 4lb 8oz+ you had bad luck but you didnt blank and that one good thing next time take some 6lb line just in case. good luck for June
</blockquote>

I gauged it just over 5, and I have had plenty upto my PB 5.2 to be reasonably sure but we'll never know, too true about the line, my first job is to go back to that first swim in summer and wade it, find what the bottom make up is and then fish 6lb+ line, you can get reasonable enough presentation with big baits and tough line.

Sorry for the miserable face, bach ache and waiting for the self timer to go!

chub angler

Reaction score
feels like someone kicked you in the back some days dont it (having no chair) and it can make it hard to concentrate.hold um under the chin and it doesnt flatten the belly .

LongMan

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>chub angler wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

feels like someone kicked you in the back some days dont it (having no chair) and it can make it hard to concentrate.hold um under the chin and it doesnt flatten the belly .</blockquote>Will have to wait to try that holding under the chin, I always just try to get my hands out of the way, being 6'5" with hands like shovels doesn't do fish photos any favours!

chub angler

Reaction score
I have the opposite being and short fat I dwarf the fish Cant wait for june trot some bread and bang well I hope so anyway.

chub angler

Reaction score
If you do 2 photos do one with the head pointing at the camera it makes a better shot sometimes.

LongMan

Reaction score
Les Clark ( not too proud to nick a good idea from anybody ) wrote (see)<blockquote class=quote>Scott , what are you moaning about ? A possible P.B. chub and a great view of the deer ,I would have been over the moon with the deer , a bit ofa rare sight downhere ./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>

I didn't moan at all, I took time to mention my hapiness at seeing those deer, and explained the whole day as a sort of tongue in cheek view of my last day of the season.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else yesterday.

The point I tried to get across was how even a day of little disasters can be enjoyed and laughed about, it certainly made me chuckle relaying it all this morning.

Reaction score
I can`t tell you Scott , if I did I would have to kill you /forum/smilies/disappointed_smiley.gif.

No to be honest , I fished a commercial for small carp , something that I allways said I would never do , but it put a few bends in the rod and was better than staying home ./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

LongMan

Reaction score
/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

I know what you mean, commercials are unpleasant places but those little carp do go alright.

Tis good practise I think, gives an idea of what your tackle is capable of.

chub angler

Reaction score
What are you going to fish for now the rivers closed? or are you going to hang up your rods untill june.

LongMan

Reaction score
Tench in a local gravel pit, maybe a visit or two to the local mud hole to strain the tackle.

How about you Chub?