Bream Abuse

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
I rememberrecentlyreading a thread about bream being discovered nailed to trees or thrown into the bushes.Havingbeen contacted bya concerned reader about a similar issue Iam seeking furtherevidence from people who have witnessed this kind of barbaric behaviour. I'm sure most will agree that itis the kind of thing that needs ruthlessly stamping out.

Anyone who has any evidence and is willing to chat to me about the problem off the record can reach me at greg.whitehead@bauermedia.co.uk or by calling 01733 465673.

Cheers.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
Fair play to you Greg; unfortunately there seems to be a growing minority of so called 'anglers' who subscribe to the concept of 'nuisance' fish.

i'm ashamed to say that I have friends that describe specimen bream and chub as a pain in the arse; coincidently the same guys complain if they don't catch a double figure barbel, even if they've had a nice fish of say 8 or 9lb.

In my humble opinion they have never been, nor ever will be true anglers in my eyes. The only regret I've ever have when I catch anun-targeted species of fish is that I wasn't using a more sporting set up that would have enhanced the playing experience.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

"about bream being discovered nailed to trees or thrown into the bushes"

Should be named and shamed, ****ers, incredible that anybody could even think about doing that.

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
But apparently some do, or are alleged to have done so. I think Greg is seeking to find out if all the reports are true.

How many people do you know who have seen a 'big black cat', I bet its not many but yet there are hundreds of sightings reported every year and none are ever found.

I think its the same with Bream being killed by Carp anglers etc.

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>chub angler wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I found a dead bream and a tenner at docklow pools</blockquote>
I don't understand why anyone would kill a bream and leave £10 note with it. Maybe some sort of calling card left by a bream serial killer like they do on the telly cop dramas (Bream Supsect)

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
I hove Trev is right. You do hear people moaning about catching fish they aren't targeting, I was fishing for chub on the severn using bread flake , I had a great bite and after a long fight thinking I'd had a pb I found I 'd caught a bloody salmon!! I must admit I'm not a good enough angler to moan about catching anything

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Sounds a bit far fetched Greg, I have been accused of taking the kitchen sink when I go fishing, but who takes a hammer and nails, FFS?

D

Dave Slater

Greg,

Unfortunately this has occurred before. I believe it was started by carp anglers in the 1970's. I didn't realise it still went on though and I thoufght people would have become more educated by now.

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
Dave,

I don't think you can call people who do this sort of thing anglers, to me they just don't get it .Fishing to me is all about enjoying the surroundings ,the company and hopefully catching some fish . I just don't understand the mentallity of people like this. Though hopefully as I said before Trev is right and it is an urban myth, I certainly have not come across it.

barry dix

Reaction score
Why would anyone who wasn't a sadist spend time nailing a fish to a tree it makes no sense. I have seen dead crowshung up on peoples land I assumed to ward of other crows but nailing a fish won't ward off other fish will it? I did meet a bloke the other week who admitted that he and his carp fishing buddies when catching bream some getting on for double figures didn't return them to the water from which they were caught but put them into the stream behind the lake. Also I heard of a club where they prefer it if anglers when catching pike in their small lake do not return them but put them into a stream adjacent to it.

preston96

Reaction score
It has happened to both pike and zander as well as bream, it is really sad that some just cant understand just what fishing is..............a means of release for many, whatever they fish for.

The only fish i will ever kill are if i need to eat, or i want to catch a bigger fish...............both times i would apply a code of honour.

Nailing ANY fish to a tree is something that should ban the perpatrator from holding a fishing licence for 5years, and if repeated for life.

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
This is sickening if it is occuring , I'm not doubting what Paul & Barry say .I'm just thinking that if it is true, it's perfect ammo for the anti's .Not that I would expect people who did things like described above to think about anything like that. Paul I would imagine that if anyone was caught doing anything like nailing fish to trees they could be prosecuted for animal cruelty.

redalert06

Reaction score
you'd think carp anglers trying to get rid of a "nuisance" fish would just chuck it in the hedge. why nail it to a tree? beggars belief.

a bailif on one of my club waters told me he had a bream on at 2.30am but didn't bother reeling it in until 7am, not in the same scale but still out of order in my opinion

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
If that was a bailiff on my club water the commitee would have their ears bashed BIG TIME with threats of reports to EA if said bailiff wasn't banned from the club - disgusting behaviour /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

ian geddes 2

Reaction score
Too right grumpy git, what gets me about this sort of behavior is that it seems like the people who do it don't think they are doing anything wrong . As I said earlier the antis would have a feild day if they ever got evidence of these sort of things happening . I for one don't want to loose my right to fish just of morons who have no place in our sport.

Lionel

Reaction score
I used to be a member on a very well known carp syndicate water until one dayi went answer the call of nature and discovered a pile of around 6 or 7 dead bream well into double figures slung into the bushes, sickening.

Suffice to say I never rejoined, the mentality of some of the muppets on there was shocking, ive seen similar attitudes on carp waters up and down the country. Ive seen people skull-drag bream up the bank(cos they dont want their net all manked up) before holding them down with a foot whilst removing the hook and then kicking them back into the water. I even saw one laughing fool put one in his baitboat and before delivering it to hismate on the other side of the lake (cos his mate was blanking) who promply threw the poor thing as far as he could across the lakeback at him. It beggars belief,the bailiff onthis particular waterjust laughed it off cos the idiots were regulars.

Im sorry but in my experience Most of these pratshave beenInstant carpers with no idea about other speciesor evenwildlife in general, to many of them, no otherfish is worthy of taking their bait and have no right to be in the lake with the oh so precious carp.

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Lionel wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I used to be a member on a very well known carp syndicate water until one dayi went answer the call of nature and discovered a pile of around 6 or 7 dead bream well into double figures slung into the bushes, sickening.

Suffice to say I never rejoined, the mentality of some of the muppets on there was shocking, ive seen similar attitudes on carp waters up and down the country. Ive seen people skull-drag bream up the bank(cos they dont want their net all manked up) before holding them down with a foot whilst removing the hook and then kicking them back into the water. I even saw one laughing fool put one in his baitboat and before delivering it to hismate on the other side of the lake (cos his mate was blanking) who promply threw the poor thing as far as he could across the lakeback at him. It beggars belief,the bailiff onthis particular waterjust laughed it off cos the idiots were regulars.

Im sorry but in my experience Most of these pratshave beenInstant carpers with no idea about other speciesor evenwildlife in general, to many of them, no otherfish is worthy of taking their bait and have no right to be in the lake with the oh so precious carp.</blockquote>
Lionel.................you have hit the nail on the head, "instant" carpers...............i love all fishing, including carp fishing, but if ever a section of our beloved pastime were to draw t he attention of total and utter W**NKERS.........it would be carp fishing.

Lionel

Reaction score
I was a Carper for manyyears prior to seeing the lightand i like to think ive seen it all in terms of bankside behavior and your right, carp fishing seems to attract a certain kind of ****hole. Its not just the treatment of 'nuisance' species its the whole attitude of some these people towards other anglers and indeed their own fishing.

For many its a very lazy form of fishing, turn up, pile the bait in, cast out and then crack open a tinny and wander off to a mates peg for a social whilst the rods fish for themselves. Thats what makes it so attractive to the ordinary bloke off the street, its glorified camping for grownups. To anyone who thinks expensive syndicates attract a better quality of carper youd be very wrong, they still attract theidiots, just ones with more money than sense. Some of the hostility towards other anglers has to be seen to be believed as well, ive witnessed full-on punchups over things as minor as stray baits flying into someones elses spot whilst baiting up.

Dont get me wrong, i still love fishing for carp, i just choose my waters very carefully nowadays. Id rather target a 20 from a small intimate club water than a 30 or 40 from a busy day ticket puddle.