Closed season

preston96

Reaction score
OK....the close season is here, but is it?......i'm panick gardening at the moment, i say panick because i want to be in a position to go fishing as soon as conditions dictate.

It may be eeling, or a tench trip, bream or even shad.....then there is that little 7ft fly rod i love to rove about with on the upper reaches of rivers.

I have never stopped fishing for long........so who can always find some (legal) way to satisfiy their piscatorial desires...................and who is flacid! /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
If I wanted to I could fish my local for sea trout with worms.

The bream roach chub and perch would be a nuisance though, so I won't bother.....

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Hehehe

I may be tempted to do a spot of tenching /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>
lol........may join you /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Mark Wintle wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Shame, seatrout are out of season.../forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>
..I meant to tell him Mark /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif.................actually i dont know the "time"/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Hang_On_(768_x_511).jpg

These spotted chub dont half hang on!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good job I aint gonna fish for them then /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

We did when we were kids though and caught plenty of em......

Got nabbed by an EA bailiff once and he wanted to know where we got the maggots from, this was before the abolition on stillwaters.

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Neil Maidment wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>
Hang_On_(768_x_511).jpg

These spotted chub dont half hang on!

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif</blockquote>
The bumbag is a a bit naff tho /forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif

preston96

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Good job I aint gonna fish for them then /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

We did when we were kids though and caught plenty of em......

Got nabbed by an EA bailiff once and he wanted to know where we got the maggots from, this was before the abolition on stillwaters.</blockquote>
"We"...................our kid always gets the blame./forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Im lucky enough to have a few waters very near me that are open all year round, not commercial waters, just small ponds with lots of silver fish and the odd Crucian.

I will be visiting those at least once a week till June...

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I am going to practice my pole fishing skills again, its been a long time since I used a pole regularly and I have just bought a new very light Shimano Exage from Fosters with which so to do.

Someone told me polefishing on the river is allowed because it isn't a running line and I believe him - he knows things - honest /forum/smilies/thinking_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Paul,

During the close season for coarse fish on our rivers I cease to fish for them totally. I don't fish ponds, canals, lakes or commercials. I makeone exception for the Keith Culley Memorial 'match' at Clattercote - but then I rarely catch bogger- all so its not really 'fishing' is it?

I do however get my fly rods out and thoroughly enjoy 3/4/5 months of fly fishing on the lakes, and then a little later on the rivers.

I'll be fishing my local trout lakes in the next couple of weeks and then onto the local rivers. I'll also be taking a few trips to Avington and the Itchen and the Test from April through end of May.

Hopefully I'll get a few fly fishing trips for Sea Trout and Salmon later on in the year as well.

Just because one cannot fish the rivers for coarse fish it doesn't mean one has to stop fishing for 90 days.

PS: Graham - your friend needs to re-read the 'rules' LOL

mike trahern

Reaction score
I never used to fish in the closed season but I do these days when it warms up a bit.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Now all these coarse chappies are out of the way it's out with the fly rod and down to the river. Up here the trout are in superb fighting order and with any sort of a hatch on they are feeding hard.

Top sport./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif