Tench Helicopter Rig Question

Reaction score
I have seen illstrations of a helicopter rig with a very short hook length for tight line tench fishing.

The hook lengthis positioned on the line between two beads that are held in place by rubber stops. The position of the hook length can be adjusted by sliding nearer or further away from the feeder.

My question is:

If a fish is hooked then won't the hook lenght slide down the line towards the feeder? If so does it matter?

D

Dave Slater

I don't think it matters too much Matt. If the hooklink does slide the rubber stops should slow it down enough to stop the feeder knocking the hook out.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I think it matters loads. I've lost fish as the float stop slips.

When using leadcore, I tie a powergum stopknot to stop the lower bead or stop sliding.

If you're not using leadcore two float stops might help, or you could use the powergum stop knot. However, there's a fantastic rig that Tim Ridge showed me years ago that works a treat and is very safe. I'd struggle to explain it so I'll try and get a picture up (but it might be a whileas I'm having a fewcomputer hardware issues)

Reaction score
Hi Matt

The rig I refer to is one you and Bob illustrated in an article in Coarse Fisherman. You showed detail on how to tie the short stiff hooklink but the bead arrangement was unclear.

My first thought were that a fish would pull the whole lot down towards the feeder unless the lower bead was covering a swivel or something similar.

I'd be interested in a bit more detail.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mr C-C..............is this the rig developed by Jim Gibbinson and shown in his book on tench fishingand published as part of the Beekay SUCCESSFUL ANGLING SERIES and published in around 1990(pages 72/73)??It sounds very similar!

I would be happy to go into more detail of the rig if necessary-Mr Gibbinson gives a pretty good write-up and explains how he arrived at this particular set-up-but I have to say he uses a hook link of MINUMUM 4'(yes 4'!)and this results in sail-away bites if twitches are a problem....I have no reason to doubt him as he knew a thing or two about tench fishing.................

Anyway,let me know if I need to expand on this as I may well be barking up the wrong tree!!

S

Sean Meeghan

Well Chum (ley). I just use a small swivel or a rig ring with a bead for my bottom stop (and a bead and a power gum knot for the top). It's a job of a few seconds to tie on a longer length of line to the feeder, or cut and re-tie if you want to vary the position of the bait.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Matt Hayes shows a very similar sounding setup for roach in last/this months IYCF (not sure which month and can't be arsed to run upstairs to look) /forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
To stop the hook length from sliding use the braid float stoppers, much better, or as Matt has said, double up on your float stoppers. I have found the stoppers made for braid hold the line much better, can be moved if YOU want to adjust your rig, and don't cause any damage to the line.

The ones i have are made by Fox, used by pike anglers.

Hope this helps

Matt Brown

Reaction score
The rig I use (and showed in CF) uses beads that are pierced sidewats using a leadcore splicing needle. A Powergum stopknot is used for the lower bead.

Ray, I've had problems with the braid stops damaging the line. Two times, the line has snapped. It might be just a bad batch as I've only used the one pack. I take it you've had no issues?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Matt,

Must say I have had no problems with them myself, one thing a lot of anglers forget to do is wet the line when sliding stoppers along the line. I am not saying you don't do this Matt, as i am sure you do.

Will try out your method, sounds fine to me.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Mr Corker,

You can buy leadcore helicopter leaders that have the beads all set up ready to go, just attach your hook length

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Use two stops not one!! Or Sean's rig- and Neil Wayte's illustrated elsewhere on this site. No idea how Matt B gets those smallerhooks knotless knotted with heavy fluoro, am sticking with reflo powerline and kamasan animals this year.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
It might be worth buying some ready made helicopter rigs from Korda and the likes then you can see what components they use in there set up. If i can recall correctly the Korda helicopter rigs have a tungsten weighted section inthe rubber tubing that they use on there helicopter rigs and chod rigs, this section is wider than the tubing itself and acts like a float stop, and if the carp boys can use them with confidence then i'm sure you could modify them to suit helicopter rig fishing for Tench.

The best advice i can give you when using the helicopter rig is, make sure that all the components can slide over the knots you use to attach the leadcore or tubing to your mainline.

You can also buy from Korda all the components to make a helicopter rig in one pack if you don't want to buy a ready made, might be slightly cheaper as well.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I remember using the ready made type set up (tubing,beads,swivel etc...)by "Gold Label Tackle " aka Terry Eustace many moons ago....i think it was called "The Rig" ???

Although some will argueitaint the best one availiable but i liked it.Can you still buy his stuff and especially this rig ???? I`d like to get some more if possible.

I caught my biggest carp on one of the said rigs.......24lbs 9oz mirror.