pole advice

sagalout

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering buying a pole but it is a big expense and yet another bit of kit to store and cart around.

At the moment I think I might want it for swim exploration and to access tight to the lily beds and overhanging trees.

So has anyone regreted buying a pole, or bought one and then not used it enough to justify the expense?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I've regretted not spending that bit extra on a pole, as i later found out the difference in weight, quality, and stiffness would have been worth the extra expense in the long run.

What ever amount you have to spend make sure you go to the tackle shop or shops if you have a few local ones with a good stock range, and make sure you can try them out, see what spares packages they have with the poles within your price range. And pick the pole that suits you, and not the pole that looks the best. Buy the longest pole you can afford, most of the time you won't be fishing it longer than say 13 metres, but most 16 metre poles generally weigh lighter when fished at 13 metres than just buying a 13 metre pole.

Once you have decided on the make of pole you would like to buy, take a day or two to research it on the web, what is the average cost of the pole? are there any reviews? how much are replacement sections or extra top kits etc.

I learnt the hard way, i got stuck with an inferior pole that was a little over priced when for a extra £100 and a little more patience i could have gotten a pole that would have met all my angling requirements at that time.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

E

EC

There have been lots of times that I've regretted not having the pole with me when small river fishing.

Once it's bought, you've always got the option to take it or leave it at home. If you don't buy one we both know there will be times when you're out when you'll be wishing you'd bought one.

Takethe advice from Stealph, but also give serious consideration to where you will <u>mainly</u> be using it, and at what lengths. Eg if the lily pads and overhanging trees you talk about are 9 metres away, then don't worry about spending a fortune, many so called'cheaper poles are perfectly usable at this length, but may fall down a little at 12/13m.

Get something with a couple of spare top sections so you can change top kits/elastic to suit the species you are after, and when you've made your purchase don't forget to fill in a tackle review on this site!

Reaction score
Oddly yes - I purchased a Sensas Willenbrok 16m pole (not generally available in the UK) about 2 years ago. It came with all the extras and a really good holdall. It's not been out of the holdall since!!

A couple of months later I won the big prize from one of the fishing magazines (it turned out to be the last issue) which was a top range browning job -rrp was not far short of a grand so i suppose generally available c£700. This came as a total surprise as I had completely forgotten entering the comp. Indeed the photcopied letter was so amateurish I though it was a joke: even a scam. Low and behold it duly arrived in a box. This one has made it out of the box - twice!

Unfortunately the folk who sold me the first pole weren't prepared to buy it back -even with a substantial discount; which was understandable.

EC's and Stealph's advice is sound; use the forum tackle reviews on this site to give you a few ideas. be clear about how/where you'll be using it. You won't need a carp beast tamer if you're after silvers on the local water. You're very unlikely to ever need to fish at 16m ...on reflection i'd stop at 14m and go for the best quality you can afford and the rigidity of the pole is key. Go for a more rigid better quality but shorter pole at whatever your price bracket is than a longer but less good model.

Poshers

Bob S

Reaction score
I have no doubt that the more expensive poles are nice to use, but don't be put off if you don't want to blowloads of cash on something you might only use occasionally.

As I do lots of different styles of fishing, I knew a pole wouldn't be used more than 3 or 4 times a year. So i bought a MAP 1010 carp pole a couple of years ago. The first fish I caught was a 16lb carp/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Its been great fun to use. OK, so its best used at 7 or 8 meters but this hasn't stopped me having some great catches of carp, tench and chub.

W

Wolfman Woody

I find I rarely fish over 10 metres these days and mostly around 7 or 8 metres.

For that purpose you can buy a top notch margin pole, very light and very strong. Our Editor has a Daiwa Yank & Bank (although he calls it something quite different) and he swears by it.

So work out what you want it for and how much you need to spend to get a decent one.

Stealth's comments are good! Research, research, research, but going to tackle shops and feeling them does tend to confuse as no sooner have you fell in love with the feel of one than the next one feels so much better. I've even been to shows and tried half a dozen and by the time you're on the fourth you've forgotten what the 1st and 2nd felt like.

sagalout

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in posting back, but I've been away.

Very interesting comments from everyone and I had decided not to buy one because whilst I was away I fished a venue where the swim was cut down into the bank so there was a 3foot high bannk 18inches behind me so I don't think I could have used a pole unless I took it apart at every joint when shipping.

I 'spose I will have to have a good look and play with a range of poles in the shop before the final decision.

I "think" I will be using it for tench, bream, perch and silver at a water that I am sure slime monster knows well.

Thanks for all the input.

Jeppo

Reaction score
i know im a bit late posting, but i bought the grim reaper! when it 1st came out. i must say its been the best £220 (or what ever i payed for it!) iv ever spent! although i use my nearly everytime i go

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Don't let a modest 3ft bank defeat you! The technique changes but you can do it without taking off a section at a time.

As Jeff says, the Yank and Bank is ideal for fun pole fishing. Unless I'm trying to hit shy roach bites at 7 metres+ I often use it as it's light, slim and strong.

sagalout

Reaction score
Decisions, decisions! I think I will get one now, the yank n bank looks good for £129 on ebay, but the new maver genesis is £192 and would appear to be lighter and longer offering more long term options.

slime monster

Reaction score
several of our local match anglers use the yank n bank for large Tench and margin Carp

Just spotted your previous post and looked at your profile and of course you will know the stamp of fish I am talking about being local to me

L

Laurie Harper

A number of shops are doing the Y&B cheaply at the moment - I've even seen it given away free when you buy a more expensive model. As others say, it's good for heavy duty work and light for its power, if a little unsuited to delicate fishing. All the major manufacturers do decent poles in every price range. Other comments are right - a long and inexpensive pole usually means it will be heavy/hard work to use. For the sort of money you're talking about, I wouldn't try to get much longer than 11, maybe 13 metres at the outside. If buying used, check thoroughly for damage, microscopic cracks, etcand walk away if in any doubt.

A

alan whittington

Ive had a few poles now and apart from an occasional sortie after chub on a small river most of my pole fishing is done at less than 8m and ibought a drennan margin carppole 8.5m and ive caught many doubles on it plus a 10.1 bream and lots of nice tench without a grumble,everything said above is correct but as said assess your probable use for the pole and if possible get good advice on individual poles and manufacturers as some are far better than others and your better of without than have a poor-un,all the best,Alan.

sagalout

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I bought a Maver Genesis 12.5m today. Having looked at several poles in the £200 bracket this seemed to be the lighest, stiffest and most balanced (I could not locate a Shimano Technium XTB within reasonable travel distance to asses).

I will report back once I have had a chance to use it, all being well hopefully friday.

By the way the pole comes with a match 3, power 2, and a cupping kit. The dealer elasticated within the price which was £199.00, give or take a couple of quid it was as cheap as any on the net. The local dealer, Tackle Trader in Newton Abbot, could not have been more knowledgable or helpful.

A

alan whittington

Best of luck sagalout,dont get dragged in/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

L

Laurie Harper

Have fun with it. I reckon it will be every bit as good as the Technium (and Maver spares are a bit less expensive/more widely availablethan Shimano,I think). Amazing, really, when you compare with what was available only a few years ago. 12.5 metres of usable pole for £200.

sagalout

Reaction score
Alan, it will have to b a bigun to drag in my lardy ol' ass.

Laurie, let's hope it's usable!

sagalout

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of that. Can you recommend a swim or two for a novice?

I was thinking of Key as me first outing because I had an excellent day on the silvers the other day, but if Linhay is doing well then that could be a sound suggeston.