On a roll

D

Dave Slater

4_copy.gif

F

Fred Bonney

I like it Dave great fish. Never seen one anywhere near that size, nice and clean looking too.

D

Dave Slater

I like to catch a personal best every year if possible. When I caught my 8lb 8oz chub at the end of February I thought that was my luck for the year. My mate Bill and I spent Sunday fishing with Bill's bosses son Oliver and his friend and Bill's boss Russell bought them along to a small local club lake to fish with us. We decided that Bill would teach them some float fishing techniques, as he is a very good float angler, and I would sit it out for a big perch to try and add a bit of excitement for the lads. Bill did a good job of giving them some good float fishing tips and they caught several lovely roach. I had to wait until the afternoon for the take from the big perch, which took double lobworm. It fought very well and it looked huge in the water before netting. The scales confirmed a new p.b. of 4lb 3oz and I was delighted. The lads were really excited when they saw the fish and Oliver did the photos for me. They really enjoyed the day and I think we got it right by making sure they caught some good roach and letting them see a specimen perch. They are both nice lads, very keen to learn, and have the right attitude. We may show them something different next time they go, perhaps fishing for different species at another venue,and I am sure they will become keen lifelong anglers so the day was very worthwhile all round.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Cracking fish Dave, congratulations. I've been in that fortunate position twice, and would dearly love to make it a hat trick. Big perch are stunning fish, well done.

Keith M

Reaction score
Smashing Perch, congrats Dave.

My mate had onetwo ounces lighter from the upper Lea in the last few days ofFebruary while after Chub, Nice to see them coming out at this sort of weight.

Great catch Dave.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
What a lovely Perch, very well done Dave.

After the fish you've caught this season I reckon you'll be hard pressed to break some PBs in the new one, perhaps you should move on to golf? /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

D

Dave Slater

There is always something new around the corner Fin, but I can't see myself playing golf. Some of my PBs are quite modest, crucian and grayling are two that come to mind immediately,so these could go at any time but the chub may now be unobtainable, but I am sure I have seen bigger ones.

I didn't realise it immediately but the perch finishes off the set for my two favourite species, 7lb plus chub and 4lb plus perch from both rivers and stillwaters. I would love a 3lb roach one day and I am sure this is possible from some of the places I fish.