Copyright law?

mastercaster

Reaction score
I am thinking of adding tackle reviews to my blog and i need to know if using a photo of the tackle item in the review is allowed under the fair use law of copyright? Or do i have to obtain permission fom companies like shimano and daiwa direct? i know this is a bit of an unusual thread here but any help from people in the know would be appreciated./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

redalert06

Reaction score
I'd imagine they would be pleased with the exposure and the worst you'd get is a takedown notice from a poor review. but then you could shout about it even more and would be worse for them anyway.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If there is a copyright attached it will be for the design aspects. Or a image released for advertising etc.

If you photograph the item this then becomes a new image and cpyrighted to the photographer. If you wish to use a stock image just contact the manufacturer and ask for a official image.

slb

Reaction score
If you have taken the photo of the piece of gear you're reviewing, you own the copyright.
You could try asking the manufacturer for a stock shot, but they may want to know what the review will say before agreeing to your use!

strut5a

Reaction score
I'd imagine they would be pleased with the exposure and the worst you'd get is a takedown notice from a poor review. but then you could shout about it even more and would be worse for them anyway.

The last time I had anything to do with the law and exposure the magistrate took a very dim view of it.:wh

Old Nick

Reaction score
If there were any copy-write issues we wouldn't have any independent reviews!

Bear in mind what previous posters have said about images and go for it, the more honest reviews we get the better for angling in general - do we really need maggot tweezers? if a products no good or pointless say so!