pb's in a year

tonyb

Reaction score
I am returning to fishing after a10 year absence, and i want to do it in style. I have set myself the challenge of beating all my personal bests and catching all the species of fish i never previously caught, in one year. I am staring the challenge on my birthday, July 21st, i know its a good 6/7 weeks away but it will give me time to research local waters to help me get started.

Heres my previous pb's, dont laugh, i know they arent spectacular but i spent most of my fishing life pleasure fishing the canal in Nottingham.

Barbel not caught
Bream 2.5lb
Carp 6lb
Catfish not caught
Chub 2.5lb
Crucian carpnot caught
Eel not caught
Perch1lb
Pike 4lb
Roach 2lb
Rudd not caught
Tench 4lb

I am hoping that you guys can help me, and point me in the right direction to the best waters in and around Stockport, that will give me the best chance to beat my personal best. I will keep reporting my exploits back to this thread and hopefully, in a years time, my records will have been smashed.

I am going to start with the summer species, Crucians, Rudd and Tench. Can anyone give me any info on the best place to start for these species? Must be within 20 miles of Stockport.

chub angler

Reaction score
Tony welcome to FM. your local tackle shop should be a good place to start. For info on places to try andbaits and rigs etc. I hope this helps you.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Tony I dont think you'll have much trouble apart from the 2lb roach, that will be a REAL challenge to beat! There are some very serious and talented anglers on this site that havent caught one that size despite trying, so I'd just be happy with the roach as its a very good fish and go for all the others.

Sorry to make it even harder but I wouldnt leave Dace and Zander off that list! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

I cant help you with locations (I'm from Nottingham funnily enough) but as Chub Angler says its always worth a look in at your local, tell the guys there the challenge youve set yourself and you might just make some fishing friends - guarantueed to make PB breaking easier when youre new to an area!

Good luck Tony mate!

The bad one

Reaction score
Several of the Pbs fish you could catch from Roman Lakes Marple

Carp, bream, pike but there are better waters in your radius, roach possibly, rudd, tench possibly. If not, Bottom Debdale Res if you can put up with the hassel of every crock of shite in society.

Perch Peak Forest canal.

River Goyt for chub, barbel and eel you'll need a Stockport Fed card.

Cats Sale water park

Crucian carp might be a problem as there's very few waters that contain true Cruies.

tonyb

Reaction score
Chub Angler - yep i will do. i just thought i'd see if i could get some tips from the forum and make some friends along the way etc etc. maybe bump into a few sometimes.

Fin the Fish - i was going to say that on the initial post funnily enough. that is the one fish that i can say im proud of catching and i agree, is the one that i wont be able to beat.

I did mean to put dace on there, i'll put it on now. Zander however, i wasnt sure if there are any up this way. If there is then i willput it on cos iwould like to catch one.

the bad one - cheers for that. i do have the Goyt earmarked for those species, ive also heard theres big perch in there cos of all the crayfish?

I walked around debdale the other night and it was just full of yobs, every bench was full of em with beer cans and pit bulls. Ive heard too many rumours to risk fishing there. its a shame too cos its a nice place.

tonyb

Reaction score
i cant seem to be able to edit the original posts so i need to add a couple to that list:

Dace Not Caught
Zander Not Caught

just to make it more challenging, cheers fin the fish/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

chub angler

Reaction score
Tony just remember not to get to preoccupied with PBs fishing is supposed to be fun.From the sound of it I would give Debdale a miss. Good luck Tony.

tonyb

Reaction score
cheers, i wont do. chasing those pb's will hopefully add to the fun. its just that i was going through my old records from when i used to go fishing and i didnt realise how many species i hadnt caught, and the ones i had were small. I thrive on challenges and targetsso if i can achieve this one, then it would be an awesome achievement.

chub angler

Reaction score
It looks like your going to have a busy year Tony I hope you do it good luck.

Fast Catch

Reaction score
Hi Tony

If you're looking to catch Crucians then Woodbank Park is your destination. I have never blanked on the place.

Yesterday, I had a 7 hour session and by the end I had caught 33 fish and 30 of those were a mixture of crucians and common carp. But mainly crucians. My other fish caught were 2 roach and my first ever tench. The first 2 and a half hours I had caught nothing.

I was using mattesons sausage which I had frozen and defrosted a few times. I have tried corn and dyed red corn too. But had no success except for catching a 1 crucian on part of a kernel last year.

The crucians attack the full kernels. But no major fish seem to be interested from my experience.

Its easy to fish at woodbank and maggot works ok too, aswell as Primrose luncheon meat which you can get from morrisons in Bredbury.

There is also some large commons in woodbank. I watched 2 off them glide over to the reeds where you can take cover behind that comes out of the water and that was around mid-day.

Hopefully, You have as much luck as myself. I was stuuned and won't knock it.

Edit: There is meant to be reasonable Tench there too.

Last edited:

tonyb

Reaction score
thanks for that Fastcatch, i was going to go down to Woodbank for Rudd. Apparantly it has loads in there. What set up was you using?

tonyb

Reaction score
I forgot to ask fast catch. How do you get to Woodbank lake? I've looked on Google maps and i cant see it on there.

tonyb

Reaction score
whay hey. first one broken. Had a session for tench on my local pond as they are rumoured to top 10lb but ended up with 17 bream instead. all between 1lb and 2lb apart from one, a lovely bream of 4lb. Not a massive fish but still breaks my PB, one down!!!!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Hello Tony,

You see, Breams can come true :D

The Knack to catching Big Fish is to fish lakes, and Rivers, that have Big Fish in them.

With a lot of Time and Knowledge and a Little luck, you will soon be achieving new Personal Bests in no time.

Tight Lines :D

Reaction score
Tony

Are you in any clubs other than Stockport Fed. Locally the Goyt or the Tame are your best bet for barbel but it could be hard. Local word is that the Tame just above Tescos may be the best bet,at moment, for filling in your barbel blanks. There are a few of us who are based in the Stockport area so don't hesitate to contact. (I'm away for most of August....trying to improve my reputation!!)

Poshers :w:w

tonyb

Reaction score
Posh paul - no im just in stock fed. Ive had a couple of sessions for barbel on the goyt but not caught anything. I'm going to wait another month or so before i give them another go, im going to concentrate on the tench, crucians,and rudd this month before autumn sets in.

tonyb

Reaction score
another one down.

fished back on new farm pond with pineapple sweetcorn. had nothing all day apart from two skimmers, was going to pack up and go home but decided to try in the margins for an hour and so glad i did. had another 8 skimmers in quick succesion and then a take from a much bigger fish. Thought it was a small carp at first till it broke the surface and there it was. A lovely tench of 5lb, again, not a monster but its smashed my PB. Thats two down.

Im so chuffed with this one, Tench are my favorite species and this was the one i wanted to beat more than the others.

Ive planned another couple of trips this week for the Rudd and Crucian so fingers crossed!!

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

My PB looks like this now:

Barbel - not caught
Bream - 2.5lb ***new PB*** 4lb
Carp - 6lb
Catfish - not caught
Chub - 2.5lb
Crucian - carp not caught
Dace - not caught
Eel - not caught
Perch - 1lb
Pike - 4lb
Roach - 2lb
Rudd - not caught
Tench - 4lb ***new PB*** 5lb

John Heelis

Reaction score
Well done mate,

It's a great feeling when you break your PB's, did it myself twice on saturday. First bream 3lbs twenty minutes later another bream 4.5lbs (previous best 2and a bit lbs) Even better was the face on two kids on their bikes saw the last one...words in effect of "******' el look at the size of that. I didn't know that the fish were that big in the canal..lets go get our rods"

Stick_Float

Reaction score
Congratulations, a 5lb tench is a good tench despite what some people may say and especially from a farm pond where they tend to not grow as big as they do in large gravel pits. I bet it gave you a good scrap too.

Always nice to break Pb's, I broke my tench one just last week, you never know it might open the floodgates up and you'll be breaking them every time you go out!