Avon Seven

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I am so happy. I caught my long awaited Avon "Seven" yesterday evening. I honestly thought I would have to wait a long time and was prepared to spend a couple of seasons not fishing anywhere else.
I spent opening morning on the Stour just in case my 8-8 was still around and hadn't spawned yet. After that I have spent all season on the Avon, apart from one day on the Upper Ouse in June. I had previously caught a stillwater "seven" and several from the Stour so I wanted one from the Avon to make up a full set from local waters. Despite having caught several Avon sixes my best was 6lb 7oz. I have been fishing about five evenings a week this season, all short sessions on two different stretches. I have a few swims on each stretch so that I can switch them around. Summer was to be spent learning the swims so that I could catch some big chub in the winter. My baits were kept very basic as most people were using pellets for the barbel so I figured cheese and bread would avoid these.
Quite a few chub were caught in June topped off by a new Avon best at 6lb 8oz caught on cheese. The chub was 23.5" long and had a 16.5" girth so would have weighed at leat a pound more in the winter. All of the chub were very lean so I think they had spawned early and very hard.
I continued to catch several good chub in July including another 3 "sixes" to 6lb 5oz, again all of the sixes were very lean and should have weighed more. There were some encouraging signs later in the month as some of the "fours" and "fives" were more solid and seemed to be gaining weight. Despite the fish not being at top weights they all seem to fight very well this year and the bites are very positive.
I had a gig with the band on Saturday 1st August so did not fish. I did not really fancy going the next evening but the kicking off times on the Avon were due to become earlier from Monday (the following day) so I decided to go. The signs were not good as I had to opt for my second choice swim as there was somebody was in the swim I fancied fishing. They went soon after I arrived but I decided to stay put. I caught a couple of big eels, which fought very well which I thought would kill the swim. About an hour later I had a very slow bite, similar to the eels, so I struck with some reluctance. Fortunately this turned out to be a big chub. A huge pike followed it so I bullied it to the net quickly. I could see that the chub had a very big frame and was more solid than the "sixes" I had been catching and was delighted when the scales read 7lb 1oz. The fish My target fish so early in the season. The chub was just over 23" long and had a 16" girth. Just before chucking off time I caught one which was almost it's twin at 6lb 14oz. As it was so late I didn't even photograph it and had to run to the car. I just got away in time. On the Avon they are very strict on leaving times and it wouldn't have been worth risking loosing my club book, especially as I had already taken a few photos of my 7lb 1oz fish (I have put a photo in the album for viewing).
I could go back on the Stour but I am enjoying myself so much that I will probably stay on the Avon all season.

Last edited:

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Congratulations, it sounds like a very nice fish, beats me own personal best Chub off the River dane as it's almost double the weight.
My river fishing knowledge is very limited, so i was lucky to catch a Chub at all never mind one of 3lb 12oz.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Terrific Avon Fish

Dave,

I couldn't be happier if I'd have caught that myself as I know how much work you put in for your fish.

For that Chub to have come from the Avon as well is great angling and only goes to prove that the 'old' baits are still as good as they ever were - who needs pellets!

Well done!

Last edited:

Muffin

Reaction score
Glad someone is caching this summer, great work Dave you must be chuffed, all the hard work must be worth it.

How are you gonna top that day then?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Cracking fish, Dave but I can't help thinking you need a new, non-chub related challenge? A 4lb perch from the Stour, perhaps?

Dave Slater

Reaction score
You are right of course Mark but the problam is I just love chub fishing. As I have now caught my target fish fot this season my chub fishing will just be for the pleasure of catching them and, hopefully, adding a few big ones. I would like a "six" from the Ouse this season if possible as this is long overdue, but this can be a long term target if necessary as I only have a few trips a season there and I usually spend most of my time there perch fishing. A four pound Stour perch sounds like a real challenge, but not for this season as I am really enjoying fishing the Avon. I may try a couple of new targets from the Avon later this season - a 3lb roach (current p.b. 2-13) and a 14lb barbel (current p.b. 13-5) - both of which are challenging but by no means impossible. If I don't manage them this season I can spend some more time after them next season.

preston96

Reaction score
Cracking fish, Dave but I can't help thinking you need a new, non-chub related challenge? A 4lb perch from the Stour, perhaps?

He's a Blackcountry man Mark, we do things to perfection :wh

A stunning chub again Dave...........damn you expats! :D

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
picture.php

WHAT A CRACKING CHUB DAVE WHEREVER IT WAS CAUGHT - SUPERB!!

Well Done.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Wow, what a chub Dave well done mate

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Just spotted this one Dave.
Absolutely chuffed for you, I know how much that fish meant to you. Brilliant stuff mate, well done.