Trotting - How heavy can you go?

Old Nick

Reaction score
I have been fishing a local river for a month or so now mainly using feeder tactics, and I was wondering about trotting for bigger fish.

I was thinking that using 8lb main line to 6lb hook lengths would rather defeat the point of the subtle presentation involved in trotting, if so does that mean the only viable approach to larger fish in rivers is some form of ledgering?

Does anyone else trot for larger fish (thinking of Carp and barbel) and if so what set up do you use?

Nick

strut5a

Reaction score
I fish my local river with a 14' carp match rod, six pound main line and a five pound hooklength. I am usually fishing the faster stretches for barbel and tend to use an Avon float with the bulk shot a couple of feet from the hook.
I have managed to net barbel up to 8lb and chub in excess of 4lb on this setup, not monsters I know but damned good sport.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Nick I use 4lb mainline and 3lb hooklink,or 6lb line with 4lb hooklink,or 4lb straight through.the heavier line needs a heavier float to pull it off the reel.trial and error will tell you if you need a lighter- heavier float.I usually fix my hoolength with a mini swivel to combat twist and to get a strong link instead of loop to loop which is prone to breaking at the hooklength knot.It is best to use a soft action rod as well to soak up the runs and the final netting where most fish are lost.Too many anglers I see try to bank the fish too quickly,you need patience and to actually play the fish,a skill that seems to be disappearing in this I want it and I want it now world.

Old Nick

Reaction score
Thanks guys, sounds like 6lb main is the upper limit, and playing fish rather than hauling is the order of the day! how do you deal with snaggy / weedy areas?

The Sogster

Reaction score
You could always try a spot of stret pegging with heavier line, this may also help to present a bait in the snaggy/ weedy areas.
Failing that hold back on the float to make the bait rise in the water to get over snags/ weed when trotting.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
W.B. Clake's Match team line in 7.9 and 10.1 lb is just the stuff if you think you're likely to hit carp or barbel; thin, supple, strong, and inclined to float. (Annoyingly so, if you're trying to fish a waggler)... Yes, you'll have to step up to an Avon float, but so what? It's what they were made for!

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Nick, take a look at the diameter vs breaking strain of Silstar Match Team line. Supple, excellent knot strength and not easily damaged. Its not cheap but does have good presentation in the higher poundages. Tight lines.

Last edited:

Old Nick

Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I took Alan's advice and have ordered some WB Clarke match line, but may well have a look at the Silstar Match too!

fred hall

Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I took Alan's advice and have ordered some WB Clarke match line, but may well have a look at the Silstar Match too!

I understood that Silstar Match line was the old name for WB Clarke Match line! Certainly Silstar tackle disappeared from the radar several years ago.

Old Nick

Reaction score
Thanks Fred, Chris pointed that out too, but if their line is as durable as their old rods were I shall be happy. Bought 3 Silstar rods about 25 years ago which have since been given to relatives and friends as they start fishing and they seem to be still going strong today! Not top quality but functional and good to learn with.

A

alan whittington

Silstar/clarke's match team line is good line,also worth a look are copolymers such Sufix Primo,a very strong thin line available in clear or green,with a good diameter,one tip would be,look for a line with the diameter of 6lb mono in one of the modern lines,you will find you will be fishing nearer to the 'tests' you wanted to,beware though dont try to use it by stated breaking strain(i.e. 6lb matchteam instead of 6lb mono) for it is not as resilient as a good mono.Tight lines.;)

Last edited: