okuma aventa pro centrepin reel

tc1

Reaction score
has anyone owned one of these reels, if so how do you rate them, also do they have a ratchet on/off system, any info on them would be helpfull.
i will be useing them mostly on lakes and sometimes on rivers, just for the extra feel you get from pins.

Muffin

Reaction score
For the money they are fantastic bits of kit. The pro has 2 ball bearings I believe so its not a 'true' pin for the pruists, but they are real work horses and a delight to use.

I was so impressed with mine I bought a year and a half ago I bought a sheffield cheap on ebay too.

If you search the forums there was loads of previous posts that discuss your question, as long as they have been transferred over from the 'old' site.

As for the rachett, thats the only issue, its a small knob on the back of the pin, which is not the easiest to turn off and on whilst fishing, but is possible. You can not adjust the tension, its either on or off.

They are made from machined aluminium (one piece) and the price of these reels hjas been steadily rising over the past year or so as they become ever more popular as they are as well made as pins costing twice the price.

Have a look on ebay for a bargain. They come with a very good pouch to keep them in also.

Any more questions let me know and will do my best to assist.

To finish, I would rate them as one of the best bits of kit I've ever bought. (value for money and performance wise)

dazdidge

Reaction score
I've got a couple and they're fantastic. No finesse - just a rock solid reel that spins very freely. If you want refinements then buy a Youngs centrepin, but for the money you can't go wrong. I've landed double figure carp on mine as well as 1 oz rudd! Spare spools are about £45 too which isn't bad!

Fruitbat

Reaction score
I agree with TC1 re the 'feel' of using a C.P. on lakes as well as rivers.

I have had the pro version for about a year and it's been excellent. A good value centrepin reel IMHO.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I opted for the Sheffield and have to say it really is a very good reel. I have heard the aventa pro's are also good but for the price of the sheffield on ebay you may as well get the better version.

The Sogster

Reaction score
The pro is fantastic for the money, I wouldn't be without mine. As stated the only niggle can be the ratchet on/ off switch, overall a great reel that won't disappoint.

stuartpengs

Reaction score
I have two of them and they are first class workhorse pins. Quite hoonestly I have never had any issues with the rachet ther switch is where it should be round the back out of the way until needed, get one you won't be disapointed

tc1

Reaction score
thanks guys very helpfull,a couple more question's, what difference does a line gaurd make,
ie, would it be better to have one on when mostly lake fishing or river fishing (what is the purpose of them) i read you cannot do the wallis cast with them on, also what do you think of the tf gear fishtec centre pins, they have a removable line gaurd, do okuma's have removable gaurds aswell. thanks again for your quick replys.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally I'd forget the line guard but at the end of the day it's up to the individual. I have reels with a line guard but I take them off when using them.....so pointless for me. I would reccommend you learn to Wallis cast as it really is handy to know and very simple once you know how. It helps to have a good teacher and I would reccommend Alan Roe, wallise caster extrodinaire. Alan very generously taught me the art of wallis casting for which I'm grarefull and I'm sure he would do the same for you if you could go and meet him for a lesson. PM him and I'm sure he'd sort you out.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'd say forget the line guard too unless you are fishing in still water and even then its largely a matter of personal choice...mine is for an LG on a lake but not on a river.The key to it all is practice...I'm only an occasional user but if you steel yourself to using a pin you will soon find a resonably competent Wallis cast sort of happens naturally.Keep at it and like most things one day it just "clicks" and you suddenly wonder what all the fuss was about.A good teacher can help that to happen more quickly but [like fly casting] you dont need to be an expert to be able to fish effectively.

A lot of my fishing just isn't really suited to a pin but I use one whenever I can and though it may not always be the most efficient way of doing things once you've got the hang of it it is just such a lovely way to fish.Nothing like it again IMO.

If you decide you are serious about a pin then I would say buy the best you feel you can afford.You wont regret it and if you buy a cheaper one you will only end up buying the one you really wanted eventually.

I've got 4 that I use regularly including a Bob James,Youngs Purist,Greys Bewick and an Okuma Sheffield.I love them all but the best all round performer is the Okuma.If I were starting from scratch I'd get the Okuma and if you look around you can find them for around £100 brand new...and less second hand.I got mine for £70 off the bay and it is perfect.

I've had a spin of the TF Gear.Its OK but nothing special and nowhere near as good as the Sheffield.It looks very much like the Greys but unless I tried a wrong un it's not made to the same build quality.The Greys is a lovely little reel but very,very light and I think potentially a bit highly strung.The Sheffield is just as smooth running but a bit more robust.

Skippy

tc1

Reaction score
to all off you that replied, thanks for the advice.
i have decided to go with the okuma as you suggested.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've got 4 that I use regularly including a Bob James,Youngs Purist,Greys Bewick and an Okuma Sheffield.I love them all but the best all round performer is the Okuma.
Skippy

I think my last count was fifteen of the buggers and I've got another two coming off Chris Lythe. Silly in'it. I do seem to use my Okuma sheffield more than any though and reckon it performs as good as any of the best !

tc1

Reaction score
sorry guys ment to tell you which okuma i bought, i got the okuma sheffield centre pin, came saturday morning, it almost looks to good to use.
thanks again for your advice.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
sorry guys ment to tell you which okuma i bought, i got the okuma sheffield centre pin, came saturday morning, it almost looks to good to use.

Good choice, you'll have have some fun with it..........or nightmares lol.

thagamest1

Reaction score
I have an Aventa Pro and in general am delighted with its performance with 1 exception. I typically hold the rod with my rt. hand and my little finger in contact with the reel post. There is a joint where the post turns over the top of the reel and there is a fairly sharp corner there which rubs on my finger. After a busy day landing many fish ( I wish!! ) it does actually begin to hurt. This has put me off from buying another and you should be warned as you cannot tell that this will happen in the shop. All other aspects of the reel are excellent Peter Barton

chris_fox

Reaction score

A wise choice, I love mine. For me a line guard isn't necessary, just make sure you're line comes off the TOP of the reel. The ratchet is good for still water fishing as it stops the reel free spinning.

Now for the rod IMHO the most amazing trotting rod is the J W Youngs travel trotter. It looks great and has stepped off eyes. You can if you know where to go get them for £70.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For me a line guard isn't necessary, just make sure you're line comes off the TOP of the reel.

Narrh.... line comes off the bottom, otherwise you can't wallise cast and you've got to wind in backwards.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Tigger's right. Bill & Virginia Rushmer are the only people I know who fish with the line coming off the top - but they don't Wallis cast.