An unusual brace of fish

Reaction score
I took the kids fishing yesterday on a local club water.

I set up a float rod for josh and he went of to catch roach.

Nothing unusual in that.

I set up a whip for Sarah. She caught roach too.

I set up a feeder rod for me, baited with a pellet/paste and a cage feeder packed with ground bait and pellets. I set the rod on a buzzer so that I could help the kids.

Nothing unusual in that.

The kids caught loads of roach and bream.

I caught three tench and pulled out of one.

Nothing unusual in that.

But wait!

I caught and landed two of the tench at the same time. I couldn't believe it. As I was reeling the fish in it felt BIG. Then about 4 rod lenghts out 'the fish' rolled on the top and I saw a second fish with it. 'That was odd', I thought. Next minute I'm netting two fish at once.

The tench were about 3 to 4lb.

It looked like two fish had gone for the bait. One got hooked then the other got hooked and pulled the hook through the first fish's mouth.

Any one else seen this?

strut5a

Reaction score
Very interesting story mate, especially the bit about setting up a whip for Sarah.
Seriously. I've never seen anything like that but I can see how it could happen, one to tell the grandkids eh.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Happens quite often when sea fishing Matt, especially with flatties for some reason.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Had it happen a couple of times over the years Matt. Most memorable was whilst fishing on the Linc's drains. I had just latched on to a low double figure pike using a Spinnerbait with stinger hook. As I brought the fish to within netting range, a much larger fish came off the marginal slope and nailed the skirt of the S.B. hung out of the mouth of the hooked fish. Both fish were successfully landed after a bit of mickey mouse work with the net. The thief pike weighed in at nineteen plus..............

Chris Season32

Reaction score
I've never seen it in freshwater other than pike. As Ec mentioned, it's not uncommon with flatties. But Tench? You wouldn't expect them to be that competitive. :confused:

You sure it wasn't a pair of kissing gouramis? :j

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I've heard of a fish following a hooked fish into the net but not two on the same hook................ except mackerel.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I have only had this happen with pike, usually late season prior to spawning. I have netted carp following hooked fish, but never actually hooked two at once.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A friend was telling me recently of a similar happening on a match lake when he hooked a small carp of about 5lbs and as it neared the net he noticed a similar sized carp following it. Just as the hooked carp was going into the net it slipped the hook and swam away but to his amazement the following carp swam straight into his landing net.

Skoda

Reaction score
I vaguely remember reading about a famous match angler, J H R Bazley from Leeds, in the 1920s landing two 2lb roach in one cast, but I believe he was using a paternoster or similar rig with two hooks. Still, not bad!

Andy

Muffin

Reaction score
I vaguely remember reading about a famous match angler, J H R Bazley from Leeds, in the 1920s landing two 2lb roach in one cast, but I believe he was using a paternoster or similar rig with two hooks. Still, not bad!

Andy

Wow, Dont mention this to Steve Spiller he will probably have a nervous breakdown :)

Philip

Reaction score
Yes I had that happen once, with two small roach I think it was. Exactly as Matt describes..it was like the line plus hook and bait had been threaded through
the lip of the first fish then the bait was taken by a second. What I assumed happened was that the first fish took the bait and been hooked but managed to lever
itself off the hook but went "up"the line and so was like a sort of fish on a stringer...the second fish then took the bait.

I also recall a story, some time back so I may have it a little wrong but I think it was Colin Dyson who caught two pike on one cast.
The first fish had taken the bait but ejected it however the line had sort of hitched itself round the big back teeth and it was tethered.
A second fish then took the bait and he landed both. I think one of them was 25+ !

Skoda

Reaction score
Muffin

That thought popped into my head! He'll go mental!

Andy

Coops

Reaction score
Never had two fish on one hook, but have had one fish on two hooks. When we were wee boys, me and a friend were float fishing opposite each other on the river and hooked the same roach. Real fun and games ensued as to who hooked it first and who should 'land' it.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Two at once

Had a 3.5lb chub taken by an 11lb pike some years ago. Both fish were banked but I found the hook in the PIKE's mouth!
Also, ten years ago on Bala, my brother and I caught the same grayling at the same time! One of us had lip-hooked it, the other had lassoed its tail.