cleaning slime off nets

tonyb

Reaction score
does anyone have any tips for easily removing slime from landing nets?

Ive been catching a few slimy Tench and Bream recently and cleaning the landing net is a pain in the ass. Ive been running it under hot water but it takes a good 20mins to get it all off. Surely there must be something you can buy that quickly breaks down the slime.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I give mine a good blast from the hose pipe and then leave them outside on the clothes dryer for a few days until completely dry.

Alternatively, you could always go fishing with Jeff Woodhouse - as he never catches anything so the problem goes away . . . . . . . .

[insert huge great smiley thing - - - - > H E R E]

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
With the threat of Koi herpes virus,KHV,a deadly disease,all nets should be air dried,slimey or not.It is also the easiest way to clean them.

tonyb

Reaction score
yeah i hang them out to dry, i just wondered if there was anything that cleans the nets of slime first.

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Salty water helps. It's also a good way of getting slime off a pike if you've taken one to eat (though it's so tasteless it's really not worth the effort - or the salt!)

Beecy

Reaction score
as your packing away just give your net a few quick swishes in some long grass on the bank, gets most of it off

And as Chriss says above, slugs do a great job of cleaning nets. As soon as i get home i just lob my nets on the lawn, and thats where they stay until next trip.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Rubberised nets, the way forward. Still get slimed but nowhere near as bad. Easier to wash and dry. I wish all nets would come rubberised from trout nets to specimin nets.
AND NO, I'm not fetish. I only go fishing and have fish nets.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
as your packing away just give your net a few quick swishes in some long grass on the bank, gets most of it off

And as Chriss says above, slugs do a great job of cleaning nets. As soon as i get home i just lob my nets on the lawn, and thats where they stay until next trip.

Beccy,

The reason i dry my nets off fully is because, dry nets don't carry disease, or that is what i have been lead to believe, if this is wrong i will stand corrected.

tonyb

Reaction score
i am surprised that there isnt any special product of some sort that cleans the nets thoroughly and rids it of fish diseases, especially as most waters ban keep nets now for fear of spreading diseases.

Slugs eat the fish slime, but what eats the slug slime!!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
As we speak, my laboratories are working on 2 new products....

No more tench stench and bream dream are the labels I intend to put to the board tomorrow.

Any other suggestions gratefully recieved.

sorry, no commission available

www.craptreenets.com

Part of the Cotal Trap Group of Companies..

quattro

Reaction score
How about dunking in the net dip on the way out (if they have one). Might help break the slime down before it sets solid. Of course this only applies to commercials;)

---------- Post added at 07:18 ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 ----------

How come "commercials" wasn't asterisked out, I thought it was a rude word on here:D:D