Greys Float Rods

Red6

Reaction score
I was unfortunate to have snapped my Preston Carbonactive float rod the other day - my fault I guess, trying to release from a snag and just gave it too much, I was however a bit shocked that the rod went before the 6lb line.

Anyway, it's 70 quid for a new centre section, so I have been looking at my options.

I have always liked the look of the Greys series of rods and have seen their older Prodigy 13' Float model for 89 quid.

Anybody got any experience of these - general river work, chubbing etc, along with estate lake ( silver fish and up to 8 to 12 lb carp).

Thanks

Chris Season32

Reaction score
Hi Red6 and welcome to the forum. :) I've not used the prodigy but looking at your intended targets I'd recommend looking at the Shimano Catana BX 13ft Float FA (not match) if you can. My scope is the same on the rivers/lakes, and I've fallen in love with this rod despite owning more expensive models.

I'm sure someone will have something relevant to add about the prodigy, hope you don't mind the OT suggestion. :)

Last edited:

The Sogster

Reaction score
Hi Red6,

I can't advise you about the Grey's rod however I am intrigued by how you broke your rod when pulling for a break.

In future it is best to ensure that you point the rod tip at the snag and pull in a straight line (tighten the clutch to full) this ensures that the weakest point is the mainline/ hooklength and means that there is no strain on the rod apart from the reel seat. Wrap the line around your hand if necessary (cover your hand with a rag) just in front of the reel and use a steady pull. Also always turn your back so that if the end tackle frees itself from the snag it won't fly back and hit you in the face or hand.

Apologies if you tried it this way, but I have never snapped a rod using this method. Even when using 30lb+ breaking strain lines.

Regards
The Sogster

Last edited:

klik2change

Reaction score
Yeah, quite right sogster. Hiya red6. You could also try wrapping the line around a bankstixk rather than your hand. Personally I would speak to Greys or the dealer about the rod breaking. Six pound line should definitely break well before the rod does!

Red6

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeh I've been fishing for 40 years and I'm aware of all the normal methods of releasing from snags but hadn't even got to that stage. I have had my Preston for a about 5 years now and although I do look after my gear, it is possible that the blank may have become damaged at some time. I have looked at the point of fracture under a magnifying glass and there is sign of external abrasion at the point where it sheared, which I guess may have been a contributory factor. I wrote to Preston about this and the response I got was "speak to your supplier a new section will be £70" - great customer service I thought, still, these things happen, take your medicine and move on.

With regards to Shimano rods, I sold the two I had, about threee years ago.

Ian

The Sogster

Reaction score
Sorry Ian if my post was old hat for you, it's hard to know the depths of a fellow forum posters expertise.

As stated before I can't comment on the Grey's float rod but I do own one of their barbel rods which is very nice, has a slim blank, casts great and is very responsive with a fish on. I would certainly look at their other products based on the quality of that.

Back to the matter at hand, for the money you are looking at spending why not try one of the Shakespeare range. I have had and still use a fair few of their rods and in my opinion find them to be much better quality than the price implies. My ancient aerial match is still my favourite rod.
In fact it may be almost possible to buy a silvers rod and a power waggler for the lumps within your budget.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
The G Tec seem very impressive, but VFM is usually Shakespeare, I agree with the above about your budget, that'll stop you knackering posh rods again!

Chriscb

Reaction score
Hi Red6,

I have the prodigy 13' power float rod and would give it 5 stars - it's handled carp to 13lbs on a float, chub to 5lb on feeder (very versatile rod!) yet was still able to respond well to a tiny minnow on a pole float. I also have the shakey mach3 11' micro float rod, which is really really good in small snaggy swims on lakes or rivers.

Watch ebay - always prodigy rods up on there, but strangly enough rarely the 13-15' float rod.

Tight lines,

Chriscb.

Richox12

Reaction score
If it's a 'normal' light float rod then it will break well BEFORE 6lb line does. In fact, I would be very surprised if you could break even 2lb line with a light float rod. Just because you can use 3lb, 4lb, 5lb or whatever with a rod doesn't mean the rod is stronger than the line. It's just that you may need to use those sizes of line to catch the fish you need the rod for. 99% of anglers think a line rating is a guide to a rod's strength. It isn't. It's a guide to the rods use.

Red6

Reaction score
Hi Red6,

I have the prodigy 13' power float rod and would give it 5 stars - it's handled carp to 13lbs on a float, chub to 5lb on feeder (very versatile rod!) yet was still able to respond well to a tiny minnow on a pole float. I also have the shakey mach3 11' micro float rod, which is really really good in small snaggy swims on lakes or rivers.

Watch ebay - always prodigy rods up on there, but strangly enough rarely the 13-15' float rod.

Tight lines,

Chriscb.

Chris,

Thanks for the info, I am pretty much set on the Greys Power Float as I can't find a bad report about it.

I too have the Shakes 11' Micro - great little rod for trotting on small streams with a centre pin and has managed carp up to lower double figures on our estate lake but is does struggle on the larger lumps as it lacks the bottom end grunt. So light and responsive though that you can stand all day with it in your hand no probs.

Cheers
Ian