Chub the amazing hook shedders

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I spent a few hours long trotting on a local river yesterday catching Dace, and chub with the odd surprise skimmer bream. I had plenty of fish including some very nice dace knockin on 12 ounce and among the chub where a dozen or so arround 2 1/2lb. The chub as usual bolted straight for the bankside cover which on this river is abundant so it can be tricky getting the buggers into the landing net. What amazes me is how on several occassions when hitting a decent one they managed to get their head into the cover and somehow leave the hook hooked into a twig or some other object and that's without any slack being given to them so the rod is just bent right over and then the fish is gone..... it's like some majicians trick ! Anyone else amazed by their cunning hook disgarding trick ?

Robert Woods

Reaction score
Had them spin round to release hook when they swam into keepnet whilst float fishing on River Dane...crafty buggers.

Stick_Float

Reaction score
I've found actually hooking them in the first place is the hardest part of the job, sometimes they give the most amazing wrap around 'unmissable' bites and the strike is met with nothing but thin air!

captainbarnacles

Reaction score
I have had many chub that have transfered the hook in this manner, and find its always when fishing big hooks 12 - 10 - 8 etc now i use small hooks when chubbing even as fine as a strong 20 , i think you,ll find as i have they cant shed them so easy as there so small , give it a go. And if you think a 20 won't hold think again , ive had 5 lb plus on a 20. Tight lines

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have had many chub that have transfered the hook in this manner, and find its always when fishing big hooks 12 - 10 - 8 etc now i use small hooks when chubbing even as fine as a strong 20 , i think you,ll find as i have they cant shed them so easy as there so small , give it a go. And if you think a 20 won't hold think again , ive had 5 lb plus on a 20. Tight lines

I was using a size 16 drennan superspade yesterday and they managed the old hook transfering trick ok. I've had it happen with hooks as small as 18's also but I've never used smaller when trotting the river.

John Howard

Reaction score
Years ago when fishing the R Dane I was about to net a chub. Before I could, the fish swam forward a small branch entered its mouth and caught the hook. I quickly slackened off and the fish came free.

I sat there for ages thinking was it deliberate on the part of the fish or just pure chance?

To this day i cant be 100% sure BUT I have this sneaky feeling it was it was intended.

Michael Howson

Reaction score
I can certainly verify the chubs ability to shed the hook. Fishing the Derwent at Borrowash many years ago and catching well when i latched onto a good fish. In the clear water under my feet i saw the fish dive under a tree root and literally swipe its mouth against the root and dislodge the hook .This confirmed to me the theory that the chub is the master escapologist.