Plastic bag Weigh slings

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Would you consider the use of a heavier duty plastic bag with decent handles better than a
supermarket bag, suitable for weighing roach and perch ?the handles are strong and the bag is not going to break under such weights.Is this better than a wet sling for the fishes skin both being wet first?Would you use such a weigh sling or is it bad for fish welfare?
The bag is long enough easily nose to tail also .Please give your opinions as I am considering this option .Thanks.

Specihunter

Reaction score
No as all coarse slings are designed to protect the fish, the only reason I will use them is for sea fishing and intend to take the fish home to eat.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I use plastic carrier bags all the time, and weigh bigger fish in the net - so I never seem to use the weigh-sling any more.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Yes Gav, so long as its wetted before you put the fish in, I use them to weigh fish upto 8lbs,I think they are more fish friendly than a weigh sling,

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
I go along with Morespiders on this one. I know weigh slings are specially designed but I think depsite the materials being soft, the holes make it rough against the fish. Also with the plastic bag, well wetted, the fish slide out easier so you don't have to pick them up.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thanks lads,usually do what Geoff does but my silver fish net head is undetatchable so I was caught out at the weekend (not a monster but a good one for the water ).So I have a cheap and fish friendly option now .Thank you all .good fellows of the angle.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Supermarket bags are very strong, think how much shopping they will hold, the drawback is the width of the bag but they would hold a 10lb fish easily. The advantage is, other than the obviously light weight, you can throw the bag away after a days fishing thus negating the risk of spreading any fish disease.

In days of yore the shops that sold wallpaper used to give you a bag that was ideal for a weigh sling because it was the width of the wallpaper plus a bit but I don't see them any more.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
In days of yore the shops that sold wallpaper used to give you a bag that was ideal for a weigh sling because it was the width of the wallpaper plus a bit but I don't see them any more.

Absolutely. Safe as houses and far better than any net which will abrade the fish and remove mucous etc., smooth plastics are a million times better and Graham is right about the Wallpaper bags.

Only one warning as with all equipment that comes into contact with fish, wash it thorughly after and allow it to dry completely, in the sun preferably. That way there is NO chance of spreading any infections etc.

I think it's in Australia now where they have a plastic sheet type landing bag. We'll catch on in time.

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
I use poly-bags all the time. What possible harm can it do? As said already, look how much shopping one of these bags can take. Failing that, I weigh my fish in the landing net handle.
The only time I use a purpose-made weigh-sling, is when Pike fishing. Naturally, I give it a good soaking before weighing the fish. Bear in mind, a 20+ pike measures more than 40". When I find a poly-bag that long, that can cope with fish up to 35-40lbs (I hope), I'll certainly use one.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses on this subject,to be honest I thought I may get some flack for even suggesting it ,simple things are sometimes the best it seems.That is why I made sure to mention the bag would not break to alleviate any worries people may have had.Cheers Gav Bitbasher.

Rickrod

Reaction score
They even used plastic carrier bags in a passion for angling

noknot

Reaction score
It's OK for small fish, however I once saw a 15lbs Common Carp split a plastic bag and fall 3' onto hard ground when being weighed, not a nice sound!:(

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a Trefor West(T4) weigh-sling, it's plastic and has water holes, it's almost the same shape as the old wallpaper bags but heavier duty and has velcro coonectors to close the top up.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use plastic bags to weigh fish and if the bag isn't as long as the fish it doesn't matter so long as the fish can fold/bend a bit, much the same as they do when scooped up in a landing net. Regarding a bag bursting and large fish falling onto the floor.....even if a fish was being weighed in a weigh sling there's no need to hold it up to the stars during weighing. It only needs to leave contact with terra firma to give the registration on scales.

redalert06

Reaction score
bags are better than commercial slings imo, less chance of scale damage. I personally unscrew the landing net head and weight that then take off the difference.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Quickest and safest is landing net, saves messing about.Where is this fish while you search for the scales,sling,bag, camera etc?
You can always weigh your net after the fish has been returned .