Grayling fishing on the Itchen

joecon

Reaction score
Hi, i am considering a day out fishing as above, just after any advice, tips, bait etc as i have never been there before - so fire away please.

Regards...nick

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Neil,

If it is the lower Itchen fishery that you are going to then:

Stay on the move and fish reasonably fine, waggler or stick flost (avon or balsa if necessary)

Personally I prefer to float fish at that reduces the possibility of a deeply hooked fish on a feeder or leger.

Baits; red maggot always pays off but sometimes sweet corn as well. Small red worms can be very good, but remember the Trout love them.

The higher up the beats you go the shallower the water is, but with all the recent rain the river is very full right now.

Good luck.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Neil,

Firstly enjoy the trout.......:)

If it is the Lower Itchen you're on - And your just after Grayling, then I'd head as far up stream as possible, keep on the move and don't discount even the shallowest looking swims. Trotted maggot will get you plenty of fish.
Lower down in the deeper water, you could come across anything....... my last vist in that area threw up a 6lbs sea trout, followed by a 5.5lbs chub the next cast...... Good fun on light float tackle!

Good luck!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
For any grayling:

Use barbless hooks; you'll lose some but would anyway and probably catch them a few minutes later anyway, but it makes unhooking a lively fish much easier - they squirm a lot when held. Don't be afraid to switch floats to explore the water. Sometimes a shoal of grayling can be in a very small area that needs finding.
Only weigh genuinely big ones and let them rest in the landing net for a minute in the water to recover, ditto photography. Grayling are worse than barbel in this respect and may need nursing by holding in the current if you keep them out of the water too long, which is any time over 1 minute.
Although legering/feeder fishing is effective you will get a high proportion of deep hooked fish which is why the big ones don't last long when there is heavy angling pressure.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For any grayling:

Use barbless hooks; you'll lose some but would anyway and probably catch them a few minutes later anyway, but it makes unhooking a lively fish much easier - they squirm a lot when held. Don't be afraid to switch floats to explore the water. Sometimes a shoal of grayling can be in a very small area that needs finding.
Only weigh genuinely big ones and let them rest in the landing net for a minute in the water to recover, ditto photography. Grayling are worse than barbel in this respect and may need nursing by holding in the current if you keep them out of the water too long, which is any time over 1 minute.
Although legering/feeder fishing is effective you will get a high proportion of deep hooked fish which is why the big ones don't last long when there is heavy angling pressure.

I'd never use barbless hooks for grayling, you loose enought fish using barbed hooks. Saying that most hooks these days have sensible barbs (micro or smallish).
Regarding ledgering for them and deep hooking, I haven't had a problem with deep hooking.........sorry MW as I'm contradicted what you've said but that's my experience when grayling fishing.
I do agree about trying to keep them out the water for as little time as possible and holding them till they kick away but then again I suppose that should really apply to most species.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Tigger,
I'm intrigued; I've done a lot of grayling fishing this Autumn. I've experimented with different hooks and found that fine wire barbless 18s easily outfish everything else. I strike hard and play hard, losing very few grayling, and then have the advantage of easy unhooking. Grayling hooked in the fleshy part of the scissors (can't remember the term for this!) with barbed hooks are difficult to unhook without damaging the fish which is what prompted my experiments. I wonder if you are using heavy wire hooks which don't penetrate the tough mouths easily?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger,
I'm intrigued; I've done a lot of grayling fishing this Autumn. I've experimented with different hooks and found that fine wire barbless 18s easily outfish everything else. I strike hard and play hard, losing very few grayling, and then have the advantage of easy unhooking. Grayling hooked in the fleshy part of the scissors (can't remember the term for this!) with barbed hooks are difficult to unhook without damaging the fish which is what prompted my experiments. I wonder if you are using heavy wire hooks which don't penetrate the tough mouths easily?

My favourite hooks are drennan super spades and kamasan animals. I always play them hard myself Mark. I nearly always unhook any fish I catch with a dosgorger or forceps even if it's hooked in the lips and can say with all honesty have never left any noticeable marks, except with perch sometimes ripping the thin membrane of skin behind the thicker lips a bit. Most of the grayling fishing I've done has been whilst stood out in the water so I've jut handed them out before unhooking or unhooked themin the water. One thing I do when I get hold of a grayling is to get a good gripp round the fishes torso and holt it as firm as possable without crushint it then it doesn't squirm out of my hands......as you say they really are strong squirmy buggers.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
We've got to the bottom of that mystery then, Tigger. Drennan Super Spades are two Possibly three) gauges thicker which is why they don't penetrate anything like as well as the fine wire barbless. The ones you lose are where only a bit of the point has gone in on the bonier parts of the mouth. The Super Spades are great for chub which have softer mouths.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We've got to the bottom of that mystery then, Tigger. Drennan Super Spades are two Possibly three) gauges thicker which is why they don't penetrate anything like as well as the fine wire barbless. The ones you lose are where only a bit of the point has gone in on the bonier parts of the mouth. The Super Spades are great for chub which have softer mouths.

I knew you'd be thinking that but I always use a hard strike and have hooked lots of grayling straight through the boney top part of their mouths no problem. When I say I've lost fish to be honest it's most likely only one in say 10 or so when in the thick of a large shoal where I'm getting a bite a trott. I've hit them at long distances of 50 to 60 yards using those hooks. I do see your theory though.

Last edited:

maciukrk

Reaction score
Well I haven't done as much grayling fishing as you two, but I can confidently say I lose at least half that I hook! And I also want to find some fine hooks for roach - so I'd be interested if you could suggest a suitable brand of fine wire hooks, Mark.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I was just about to ask the same question John, you beat me to it.

What hooks do you recomend Mark?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
For any grayling:

I would never fish for Lower Itchen grayling with barbless hooks - when hooked they will spin and spin and all too easily throw the hook. On this stretch there are some big fish and you could lose the fish of a lifetime. I've had them here to over 3lb.
Also, don't put them in the net to recover. A much better trick is to toss them back with a 2 foot drop. Honest! The sudden shock revives them and seems to give them an adrenaline boost. Have a net handy just in case they go belly up - but this is most unlikely. Dave Steuart taught me this trick and it works perfectly. Try it.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
So Geoff, you don't actually have any experience of using barbless hooks for grayling? Yes, they spin around a lot but they come off because the hook hasn't penetrated properly which means the barb isn't doing its job. I thought the same until I tried barbless extensively this Autumn.

The mention of resting in a net is whilst you are laying your hands on a set of scales or camera instead of letting them gasp away on the bank. I splodoosh them to revive them as well and it usually works.

Green Drake

Reaction score
Baits; red maggot always pays off but sometimes sweet corn as well. Small red worms can be very good, but remember the Trout love them.

Worms are not allowed:
Rule7. Worms, brandlings, shrimp and prawns must not be used at any time.

Check out the rules carefully before you go:
http://www.itchen-fishing.net/forms/BkfCoarseDay.pdf

I went two weeks ago and used sweetcorn on 2SSG float tackle and had a satisfying bag of grayling. From mid afternoon until sunset I switched to flake on a light lead rig and took a bream of 6-14 which was an unexpected bonus, this being from one of the lower deeper swims.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
One tip worth noting on a heavily stocked trout water is not to loose feed. If you do you'll only attract trout. A few maggots can be fed once a grayling shoal has been located (ie when you catch one!).

I use Drennan Carbon Chub in a size 16 or 14 for most of my grayling fishing up here. If it is low and clear then I might drop down to a size 18. I don't bother crushing the barb or using barbless hooks, but I don't lose a lot of fish.

S

Scott Whatmore

When have been grayling fishing I use Gamakatsu Black G Point Hooks in size 18. I use them when roach fishing too. Or if you want finer, go for the green.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
On the Lower Itchen Fishery I use barbless Kamasan Animal hooks in sizes 16 and 18. I don't know if barbed or barbless are better for grayling, but the barbless seem to make a lively fish much easier to unhook.

One of the reasons that we suffer many hook pulls with the 'lady' may be that our rods are too soft. On previous grayling sessions at this fishery I used to lose a lot of fish using a through actioned 13ft match rod. I also found I could do very little with a good sized fish because of the speed of the current. The rod just bent and flexed at will, until it would spring back as the fish escaped. Out of sheer frustration I stepped up to a 12ft 1.25tc Avon style rod. I use this with 4lb main line to a 2lb hooklink (old style not hi-tech!) and a 1 swan Drennan Chubber float.
I now lose very few grayling and get good fish in the net in a fraction of the time it would have taken me with my old set up. FM members from the last 2 fish ins on this water will vouch that it works for me with several grayling over 2lbs and plenty just under. It also works well for the big rogue trout and bonus chub. I suppose the ideal tool would be one of the power match rods that are available these days.

Re fine wire hooks for roach. I swear by kamasan B511 hooks for small roach up to 1.8 (Perfect for you Steve!!) and for larger roach I use the Kamasan B611. Both of these hooks are micro barbed. On barbless only waters I use the Mustad Wide Gape Power Barbless. None of these hooks has let me down, but you have to be careful with the 511. It's a very delicate hook and can bend easily.
For larger baits such as flake, or when bolt rigging for roach, I use the Drennan Carbon Specimen. Again, this hook has landed plenty of big fish and has never let me down. I can hardly remember losing a big roach on this pattern of hook.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I fish the Lower Itchen regularly.

Fine wire hooks and a relatively stiff action float rod (an old Greys Power 13ft) works well for me. Maggot, corn and bread all work well. Strike and play hard.

Fished it several times before the current floods and the grayling were definately more prevalent on the top end of the fishable beat (drive up to the almost derelict hut at the "S" bends and fish up and down from there). Lower down - from the motorway bridge up - far fewer grayling but better chances of some decent roach and chub. Do not avoid the really shallow areas, particularly where there are a few slightly deeper spots - look for the disturbed water - usually crawling with grayling of all sizes.

Loose feed will attract the spotted varieties but if the grayling are in the mood, they will respond in big numbers. On a good day you will get grayling from ounces to well over 2lb+. The occassional 3lber is also a possibility. Weigh a couple, I think you'll be suprised at just how heavy they are!

Its a fine fishery that is becoming very well known and beats the Test and Kennet into a cocked hat. Make the most of it!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Mark - I only tell what I use. What others do is up to them. But this is (or was!) a real specimen stretch and the grayling of a lifetime is/was on the cards. If I was grayling fishing on the Kennet or Test then I would use barbless too as those fish rarely exceed 1.5lb, or the ones I catch don't! Before the fly-syndicate bit went off-limits I honestly thought a record might have come from there. From reports I get now though, the fishing has declined a fair bit in recent years.

Neil - I have never caught a single grayling between the motorway bridge and the s-bend at the double gate, so I always ignore that stretch. Has it come back from the dead then?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Neil - I have never caught a single grayling between the motorway bridge and the s-bend at the double gate, so I always ignore that stretch. Has it come back from the dead then?

I've had a few from that lower stretch including a couple of 2lbers but it seems that area is best for roach, chub and the occasional big perch. I've had one 3lb+ grayling from near the top (coarse) boundary and have witnessed a few others. That upper boundary area is by far the best for grayling.

On our group days we usually have access to the top most stretch - around the arches - missing out on the middle trout only beats. That top most area has some big grayling and perhaps more and more chub.

I tend to agree that it has declined a bit in recent years but still offers the best day ticket grayling fishing in the south by far. It is a very well managed fishery with some quality fish.