What hooklink line???

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've been using Bayer, but been told it's like tow rope.

Tried some Drennan stuff but it span like nothing else with double casters, any recomendations please, 1.5 to 3lb? Or is it all in the diam' now?

Thanks.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I'm not being funny, but your hooklinks are like towrope. I noticed on the Idle.

It's all diameter now mate. I noticed the difference years ago fishing shallow, clear, rivers for big roach. Lighter lines + smaller hooks = more bites from bigger roach.

To fool big roach in rivers etc, you need some hi tech stuff, around 0.10mm should be fine. Any lighter and landing a roach over 2lbs can be a nerve shredding experience. If there are no snags or strong flow, you could risk dropping to a 0.08mm bottom.

Also to get the best out of these lines, you need a quality match style rod. I've got 2, the Fox Vario and the Daiwa Spectron waggler. Both have cracking, though slightly different actions. It's all a question of balance!!

These days I use pre tied hooks to nylon and can't fault them. I use Mustad wide gape power (size 18s and 20s) for roach in both barbed and barbless, depending on the fishery rules. They've never let me down. Another tip is to use a tiny size 22 swivel (mine are made by Preston) to attatch your hooklink to your mainline. This reduces line twist by about 90% and makes it easier to change hooks, keeping the same depth.

slime monster

Reaction score
I used Bayer for years on the trent and in its day it took some beating ,as far as hook links go tech hook links 010 diameter approx 2.6lb bs or 012 ..3.7lb bs do make the old Bayer look ropey in comparison. the Preston match stuff is very trust worthy.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Fox Match MicroPlus+ in 0.10mm Diameter is around 2lb 9oz breaking strain, and as Michael said, attach it to a small size 22 Micro Swivel made by Preston Innovation.

The added bonus is, they come with a free 25 metre spool of lower breaking strain line.

Costs around £5.00p for a spool, but it will make up a lot of hook lengths and is worth every penny.

dezza

Reaction score
I'm not being funny, but your hooklinks are like towrope. I noticed on the Idle.

It's all diameter now mate. I noticed the difference years ago fishing shallow, clear, rivers for big roach. Lighter lines + smaller hooks = more bites from bigger roach.

To fool big roach in rivers etc, you need some hi tech stuff, around 0.10mm should be fine. Any lighter and landing a roach over 2lbs can be a nerve shredding experience. If there are no snags or strong flow, you could risk dropping to a 0.08mm bottom.

Also to get the best out of these lines, you need a quality match style rod. I've got 2, the Fox Vario and the Daiwa Spectron waggler. Both have cracking, though slightly different actions. It's all a question of balance!!

These days I use pre tied hooks to nylon and can't fault them. I use Mustad wide gape power (size 18s and 20s) for roach in both barbed and barbless, depending on the fishery rules. They've never let me down. Another tip is to use a tiny size 22 swivel (mine are made by Preston) to attatch your hooklink to your mainline. This reduces line twist by about 90% and makes it easier to change hooks, keeping the same depth.

It's surprising how big a fish you can land on 0.08 hooklengths if you have the soft topped rod to match the line and you are fishing in snagfree water that is not moving too fast. Obtaining suitable rods for very fine tackle is not all that easy. Virtually all the float rods you see today boast being "Carp Busters" or some such horror sticks.

I have 13 foot and 17 foot MAP light float rods which do very well on the Idle, Trent, local canals and stillwaters. The 17 footer is an ideal stret pegging and laying on rod.

Those of you who have fished the Idle, will know how fast it can move. Well a couple of years ago using my 17 foot rod, a 20 hook, single caster, and 1.1 lb hooklength I hooked and sucessfully landed a 7 1/2 lb bream. The tussle I had with that fish was of a titanic nature. But it proved to me that big roach can be landed on light gear.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The best hooklength line on the market at the moment is Shimano Antares, it is absolutely brilliant line. Diameters are spot on as is the B.S. it has a bit of stretch, silky smooth and almost zero memory, bit expensive but worth every penny. It can be bought here at a cheaper price than most tackle shops Shimano Antares Silk Shock Line / Hooklength - The Best and trust me you won't regret it.

Windy

Reaction score
I just bought a spool of Berkley Whiplash Crystal Braid in 0.06mm diameter.
Guess the breaking strain ?
20lbs believe it or not.
Tho I bought it on the basis of diameter rather than breaking strain... plus it is one of the new translucent braids. Not as transparent as a clear mono or flourocarbon maybe, but pretty damn close enough when in the water.
Once the weather improves a little so I dare stick my nose out the door I look forward to giving it a go.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
The best hooklength line on the market at the moment is Shimano Antares, it is absolutely brilliant line. Diameters are spot on as is the B.S. it has a bit of stretch, silky smooth and almost zero memory, bit expensive but worth every penny. It can be bought here at a cheaper price than most tackle shops Shimano Antares Silk Shock Line / Hooklength - The Best and trust me you won't regret it.

I second that, but you do have to watch your knots in the lower diameters. And if you order from the place above you might even get to speak to me if you're lucky!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
First I've seen of the Berkley Whiplash Crystal Braid but not really viable for hooklengths though is it Sean, more suited for use as a reel line and fish straight through with it I suppose, wouldn't be much other than a snag would break that :p

I'll reverse the charges next time mate :wh

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice chaps, I'm very grateful.

At the moment I'm not in the market for new float rods, so I'll have to make do with what I've got. It's landed me some fine chub up to 4.5lb on 1.1lb bottoms, so it'll do for now.

preston96

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice chaps, I'm very grateful.

At the moment I'm not in the market for new float rods, so I'll have to make do with what I've got. It's landed me some fine chub up to 4.5lb on 1.1lb bottoms, so it'll do for now.

Steve, i think you are right.....your rod is ok, i'm glad you posted this tread, i like to be made think about my end tackle and this has made me do just that.

The main problem for me with modern lines is still line twist, if you forget yourself and hit a fast reel hard it can be a nightmare......and that includes when using a micro swivel........their aint enough "weight" to "activate" them anyway surely?

My old style on the Severn and Wye was always to reel back fast.........i have to think about slowing down now.

maver man

Reaction score
Funny this thread should appear i need some low diameter 5lb line for my 22,24 and 26 hooks for the silvers comp on Monday 28th.
Went to tie some rigs the other day and all my 3lb and 4lb line has gone to pot :(

preston96

Reaction score
Funny this thread should appear i need some low diameter 5lb line for my 22,24 and 26 hooks for the silvers comp on Monday 28th.
Went to tie some rigs the other day and all my 3lb and 4lb line has gone to pot :(

5lb to size 26 hooks?????????????:confused:

maver man

Reaction score
Low diameter plus ive been told this will be okay from a very trusty source.
Or i could use 1lb-12oz line

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I'm not sold on the swivel thing either Paul.

I just find that fishing double caster or maggot with these 'new' lines I end up with a twisted mess just above the hook. Of course, anglers like Mr Townsend don't retrieve double casters or maggots, cos they've got a two pounder (or bigger) attached every time they retrieve ;)

Good luck Maver, this diam thing is all new to me :confused:
I even fished a 12oz bottom for the chub in the good old days, scary when you nail a 4lber :eek: (the swim was snag free)

maver man

Reaction score
I'm not sold on the swivel thing either Paul.

I just find that fishing double caster or maggot with these 'new' lines I end up with a twisted mess just above the hook. Of course, anglers like Mr Townsend don't retrieve double casters or maggots, cos they've got a two pounder (or bigger) attached every time they retrieve ;)

Good luck Maver, this diam thing is all new to me :confused:
I even fished a 12oz bottom for the chub in the good old days, scary when you nail a 4lber :eek: (the swim was snag free)

That would of been rather scary :eek:bet it was fun tho ;)
I will aiming for a nice big bag of red fins :) or strippies. Unfortunately the water im fishing ent one for skimmers :(

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I use micro swivels and i also hook double maggot top and tail end, to help reduce line spin.

I got the tip off of Bob Nudd, and if it's good enough for the Maestro, then i am going to use it also.

5lb line and a size 26 hook .................. hmmmmmmmmmm try 2lb line and a size 20 hook, a lot better balance.

Kamasan B611 Barbless or the Maver MT1 hooks, they are still quite a fine wire hook, but with a little reserve strength just incase you hook the odd Biggie.

maver man

Reaction score
Ta mate.
I've often used low diameter 6lb directly to fine wire kamasan 22 and have had a 2lb river carp on it and numerous chub when trotting double red :)
I never find my line spins with double maggot :confused:
I desperately need to get some finer line tho but i havent the money :eek: