Which scales please?

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Hello, firstly ive got a set of Reuben Heaton pocket scales but they are a bit difficult to zero accurately.

Anyway i was thinking i may get a new set of scales, i will say what i will use them for and will welcome any suggestions please (budget upto around £50 max).

Firstly (and quite importantly) i fish alone, so any scales i buy would ideally be able to be zerod with the weigh sling and then placed down brieflty while i place my fish into the weigh sling and then weighed.

Secondly i only intend to fish for fish upto 20lbs and would really want 1oz incremements.

Thirdly, accuracy is paramount.

Lastly, i am not the best at looking after my gear, so robust and waterproof would be nice.

Any suggestions please?

I fish a venue with alot of Bream around 7-11lb and when i do eventually catch a 10 i want to know it is actualy a 10... and not a 9-14... it matters alot to me.

Thankyou so much in advance, please offer your advice.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi DB,

I got a set of Reuben Heaton scales today from Santa.
They weigh up to 60lb by 1oz, they are the best mate, but you'll need to stretch your budget, unless Santa gets you some next Chrimbo.

Have a look on their website to see what others they do.

Merry Christmas

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Hi Steve thanks for the reply, are these the dial ones? not the digital ones?

I was just looking at some Daiwa Mission digital scales but it says on the packaing they are accurate to 2% which actually means a 10lb fish might be displayed as 9.13 or as high as 10-3... i find this unnaceptable, you might have thought you caught a 10-3 when in reality it might only be 9-13.

Just how good are the Reubens that you got? what are they like for zeroing and what about if you place them down, do they remain zerod once picked up?

I dont mind paying the extra if its totally worth it, do you know which ones they are exactly so i can check for prices on them please?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I was gonna send you a pm but I don't think you've got it turned on?

Anyway, I've heard a lot of bad stuff about digitals. A lot of anglers have binned them! Mine are dial scales, I'm the same as you mate. When I get my 2lb roach I want be sure it is 2lb and not 1.15.

I spoke to Andy Nellist for advice about this subject and he has these scale too, so does Mike Townsend. So that's good enough for me...

I haven't used them yet, but they have a large dial on the top to zero them. I've put them down and picked them up and it is still on zero.

Hope this helps mate and good luck with the bream ;)

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Thankyou Steve you are a true gent.

I dont know about enabling the PM's, i thought they would have been on as default, i dont recall changing any setting, or indeed know how to enable them.

Those scales are looking the ticket, not cheap, but unsurprisingly so for what you get.

Like you say, good enough for Andy... and i know how particular he is :)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Don't get the half ounce ones, I've been told they are really hard to read if a fish wont stop moving, or the wind is blowing.

I've just checked them again, everytime I put the scales down flat they go 2lb under. As soon as I pick them up they return to zero, spot on!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Don't go near digi scales, Reubens as Steve has are spot on, had mine many years and weigh spot on year in year out, as did my Avons.

Avons are not made any more, they would have been ideal, I also have a set of fly weight Reubens, again, spot on and great for roving and will weigh fish to 20lb in 1 oz divisions.

Good luck

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Reuben dial scales for me all day long.

After 4 years they still weigh bang on. No extra batteries to buy etc.

Weighing up to 60 lbs in 1oz increments, they should cover 99.99% of all UK fishing situations. They aren't the smallest or lightes scales, but easily fit into a pocket on the front of my tackle bag.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Yep...RH for me too. I have flyweight MK 1's which weigh up to 30lb x 1 oz and as I dont fish for carp/pike/cats they'll weigh anything I'm likely to catch.Light,accurate,take up no space and fit anywhere.Cheap as chips too.

Still got a pair of Avons which must be 35 years old now. Still accurate but fit no pocket on any bag I've ever owned....they do fit the shed though which is where they've been ever since I got the others.

Keeping those grumpy old 300's company,Ray !

Skippy

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I'm still laughing at the 60lb Reuben Heaton scales in 1oz divisions to weigh that 2lb roach when it happens, sorry, it just looked like major overkill to me HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I knew exactly what you meant, i just saw a twisted funny side to it. :D

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Would the Reubens be as accurate as weighing a 2lb Roach on 60lb scales as they would be for weighing a 25lb Carp?

I think i read they are accurate to 1 in 500 (whatever that means) and wondered if this is completely applicable to ALL weights from 1lb upto 60lb?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Personally....and I stress this is a personal view...I would not be happy weighing a 2lb fish on scales designed to weigh up to 60lbs. Iwould end up with 2 sets....one for lumps in my lump bag and the flyweights for everything else.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like the Avons and there nearly always up for sale on ebay. Most of them have been used but many have hardly been used at all. I actually got a brand new boxed set off there. My friend has some berkley digitals and they are excellent also.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
When I've caught big fish in the past, I used to weigh tomatoes in the supermarket at roughly the weights I'd caught my fish at (1lb 1oz dace, 2 and 3lb roach etc) Then weigh these weights on my scales back at home. I don't bother these days as they were always spot on.

I used to have 2 sets of flyweights, but they got to the point where I would get 3 different weights with 3 seperate weighings of the same fish. You don't get that with reubens.

If you think scales can't be accurate through the range of weights, why don't we have different sets of scales in hospitals for children, adults and fatties!!!!
On quality scales, the readings will be pretty accurate around the dial.

Day Breamer

Reaction score
Looks like im going to be getting a new set of Reubens.

I see theres 2 sets available, 1 set is 60lb x 2oz increments, and the other set is 60lb x 1oz increments.

Does anyone have the x 2oz increment set and can tell me how easy they are at seeing if a fish weighs 10lb 3oz (for example) or is it hard to pick out the odd number and only to tell in 2, 4, 6, 8oz etc?

Im just asking cos theres roughly £20 difference in the 2 sets i believe...

Are these 2 sets of similar accuracy quality or should i avoid any particular one fof them?

Also as an additional question please, are these only available in 60lb variety? i will never ever in my life catch a fish even half that weight probably, so it just seems like massive overkill... is there not a 30 or 40lb set by Reubens that is of the same quailty and accuracy?

Thankyou so much.

Last edited:

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I think they do a set that goes up to 32lbs.

The ones I've got go up to 60lbs in 1oz increments, but have to go around the dial twice. They are very easy to read and you can zero the largest slings on them.

johntyzack

Reaction score
Like most people on hear say stay away from digi scales . last year i was fishing with a mate on the ribble when i caught a pb chub on my scales it came in at 5.11 oz asked my mate to come and take a photo off it .He looked at it went and got 2 pair off his scales and it was 6.02oz on both off his scales . If you are willing to pay £50.00 you could probly get both flyweight scales one for fish up to 12 lb and another for fish upto 40 lb

Rickrod

Reaction score
Anyone got fox digi scales if so what do you think of them

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I haven't got any, but I know a few mates who used them before they went all started weighing wrong

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I know three friends who've binned them Rickrod. They were okay for a couple of months and then went t!ts up, nothing to do with the batteries, they're just rubbish!

Mike, has Doc Roach got some?

Sorry..............:)