Bias against match anglers

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
First of all let me make it quite clear that I am no longer a match angler apart from the FM fish-ins and havn't been one for the last 15 years though I still have a match anglers viewpoint I suppose. I have always been both a match angler and an angler that fishes for the sheer pleasure of being out there fishing.

When I was younger there was a lot of acrimony between fly anglers and coarse anglers, still is to a lesser degree but it is still there, nowadays we have the same attitude shown by non match anglers to match anglers especially on this forum.

Anything that is faintly associated with match angling is dismissed by quite a few on here as not worthy of the pleasure/specimen anglers and this can include everything from bait to tactics to equipment. These attitudes and opinions are usually prefaced with things like "its okay for match anglers I suppose but it isn't for me because I am a pleasure/specimen angler." Each goes fishing to catch fish and each aims to catch the biggest fish he can, even the match angler believe it or not regardless of what some misinformed people might think. Another oft said view is that match anglers don't give a fig for the fish they catch, complete and utter rubbish, match anglers do care and not only that but they are generally more experienced in handling and unhooking fish doing it both quickly and efficiently. Yes there is a minority that don't show the fish the respect they deserve but that figure is replicated amongst non match anglers as well and not a lot can be done about that. Most match fisheries these days insist on members of their own staff doing the weigh-ins and are extremely careful when doing so, those fish are their livelihood and they understand that very well but you wouldn't think so if you read some of the posts on here though even by those that never use commercial fisheries.

When are anglers ever going to learn that angling, any sort of angling, is done for pleasure and satisfaction, be it the pleasure angler, the specimen angler with his big fish approach, the carp angler with his specific carp approach or the match angler that targets weights and beating his opponents. Each does his own thing for his own pleasure and recreation and it ill behoves anyone to dismiss anything other than that which he does as the best way to approach fishing.

Am I right, or am I wrong?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It certainly seems that way Graham from some of the threads over the last couple of months, doesn't it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my brief (10 year) career in Match Fishing and really only gave up when I came back to live in England.

I would so much like to have the time to devote to starting it all over again in this Country, but sadly just don't have the time.

In my time I can honestly say that I never saw any mishandling or poor treatment of fish by Match Anglers, not so the case with some of the pleasure anglers though, but that was seemingly from inexperience.

As to why there seems to be this sort of reaction to Match Anglers I really don't have any idea, other than "its different to what I do" or "its not for me, so it ain't any good"

Strange really, but, there's nowt so daft as folk, is there, and apparently even more so in the Angling Community.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I dismiss any form of angling that defies common sense, if I were to knock pole angling it would have to be the whole elastic issue, letting the rubber play the fish? I remember seeing a video, Nob Budd I think it was; catching carp on the long pole, it was dam right silly, I needn’t go in to the details other than “long and drawn out”. Let’s just say if I had been standing behind Mr Nob I would have to say; “Just what the **** are you doing?”

I also find the modern shock stick pole tactics distasteful, skull dragging, not angling.

I’m not biased either, if stumbled upon in the undergrowth a sleep deprived Christ Yates, who had just popped a bottle of Merlot and was muttering about Magic beans, I’d ask the same question.

I do have a great respect for match anglers, I’ve fished against their clockwork ballet, and failed nearly every time, they conjure up fish in the middle of the day with considerable bank side disturbance, it’s quite amazing…

Doesn’t old Nob use giant indoor paddling pool full of fish for demos? Same question??? :D

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Pole elastic is a very efficient means of cushioning the lunges of fish, protecting their mouths and helping ensure fish don't break off trailing hook lengths.

Why do you use reel lines that have a bit of stretch in them, why not use very low diameter braid for all your fishing which you probably don't?

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Pole elastic is a very efficient means of cushioning the lunges of fish, protecting their mouths and helping ensure fish don't break off trailing hook lengths.

Why do you use reel lines that have a bit of stretch in them, why not use very low diameter braid for all your fishing which you probably don't?

I reel my fish in on a line I have control over, within reason, a rod an extension of my arm, a reel for tactile control and line management, a line, what it’s made of is here nor there. I however wouldn’t want a fish bungeeing around in my margin, to me that’s ludicrous, to others its sport, pleasure or enjoyment, fine, I don’t really care, were all mad after all, are we not?. I handicap myself every summer with a bloody centrepin reel, it’s also loopy!

slime monster

Reaction score
My angling background is similar to Grahams and I agree wholeheartedly with everything he has said regarding match angling and fish care ,as for the anti pole brigade all I will say is they know nothing about the subject they run down, it is like saying Motor cycles are dangerous in fact it is the person controlling the bike,this applies to rods ,poles keepnets what have you it all boils down to the individual and a sense of responsibilty .

noknot

Reaction score
Each to their own I say, who has the right to judge another in their persuits, as long as fish care and respect are followed?

I always thought it was the carp anglers that were singled out most!

dezza

Reaction score
I take it you class yourself as a traditionalist Maggot?

Well if you are, take notice of the following:

"The roach rod as is mostly used by London anglers is a remarkable thing, to whose evolution much thought and experimentation have gone. Known as a "pole", it is a weapon of from 17 feet to 20 feet in length , made of light hollow cane and as stiff as a poker except for a few inches of the extreme tip. The butt is nearly as thick as a man's wrist and the whole thing in a 20 foot length must weigh well over 2 lbs. To me the use of this engine is an impossibility; it seems so cumbrous and heavy that I feel as if I were taking a sledge hammer to collect a butterfly. But a convinced pole fisher makes nothing of its weight, and, supporting the butt along his forearm or resting it on his knee, he follows the passage of the float down its swim, and is able to strike with accuracy and speed the moment he detects a bite. It is a wonderous art.

The pole fisher uses no reel as a rule, fishing with what is called a "tight line", and if he hooks a big fish he has to play it, keeping the pole point immediatly over the the fish as far as he can. To lessen the risk, both in the strike and in battle, some men have top tip of the pole made of a few inches of whalebone, which gives readily to the pull of a fish; others have an inch or two of elastic between the line and the top ring, a device which is of similar effect."

Coarse Fishing - H.T. Sheringham - 1912

Last edited:

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I take it you class yourself as a traditionalist Maggot?

Well if you are, take notice of the following:

"The roach rod as is mostly used by London anglers is a remarkable thing, to whose evolution much thought and experimentation have gone. Known as a "pole", it is a weapon of from 17 feet to 20 feet in length , made of light hollow cane and as stiff as a poker except for a few inches of the extreme tip. The butt is nearly as thick as a man's wrist and the whole thing in a 20 foot length must weigh well over 2 lbs. To me the use of this engine is an impossibility; it seems so cumbrous and heavy that I feel as if I were taking a sledge hammer to collect a butterfly. But a convinced pole fisher makes nothing of its weight, and, supporting the butt along his forearm or resting it on his knee, he follows the passage of the float down its swim, and is able to strike with accuracy and speed the moment he detects a bite. It is a wonderous art.

The pole fisher uses no reel as a rule, fishing with what is called a "tight line", and if he hooks a big fish he has to play it, keeping the pole point immediatly over the the fish as far as he can. To lessen the risk, both in the strike and in battle, some men have top tip of the pole made of a few inches of whalebone, which gives readily to the pull of a fish; others have an inch or two of elastic between the line and the top ring, a device which is of similar effect."

Coarse Fishing - H.T. Sheringham - 1912

Traditionalist no, far from it, but I don’t believe in taking the poetry out of angling, I don’t know what that makes me.. I try not to pigeon hole myself, I don’t adhere to one particular fishing clan as such.

I see how a piece of elastic can aid the pole angler; and inch or so, that’s more like a buffer rather than a fish player/exhauster.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
A bit of contradiction there red maggot.

You say that you'd ask Bob Nudd 'What the **** he was doing' presumably from playing a carp for too long.
Then you slate the 'skull dragging' method, presumably for playing the fish too hard.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
A bit of contradiction there red maggot.

You say that you'd ask Bob Nudd 'What the **** he was doing' presumably from playing a carp for too long.
Then you slate the 'skull dragging' method, presumably for playing the fish too hard.

No contradiction, I just find one method a little ludicrous and the other distasteful, just a matter of taste, my taste, not knocking anyone’s “enjoyment”

---------- Post added at 06:32 ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 ----------

Bream - OnlineFishing TV

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
But you do seem to be knocking someone elses "taste".

What is it that makes you sit in judgement?

It’s an opinion; I’m not looking to throw pies Ron. But quote me? Where’s the knocking and slating or judging?

In fact I praised match anglers in my first post.

preston96

Reaction score
I have done very little match angling...........but if i ever need to hone or remind myself about float or feeder fishings finer points.........i always turn to to a good match angler, i love watching them.

Bluenose

Reaction score
......I’m not looking to throw pies Ron. But quote me? Where’s the knocking and slating or judging?.....

.........remember seeing a video, Nob Budd I think it was.........

.......Doesn’t old Nob use.........

Your initial reference to one of the very best match anglers ever and one of very few anglers whom has actually received recognition for himself and the sport of angling is very disrespectful.

Last edited:

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
Your initial reference to one of the very best match anglers ever and one of very few anglers whom has actually received recognition for himself and the sport of angling is very disrespectful.

In what way am I disrespectful, just making a play on words? Or my dislike for his video? He’s just another angler to me; I don’t put fish or people on pedestals, sorry EC if I’ve offended you or Bob.

dezza

Reaction score
I've met old Bob Nudd briefly, He's actually a very nice man who can laugh at himself.

But in the field of what he does in fishing, he is extremely effective make no mistake about that.

I've known a few very effective specimen anglers and fly fishermen who at one period of their lives were successful match anglers. Men like Peter Stone (RHS), Brian Leadbetter, Andy Renton, Bob Roberts, Mick Lomas and Graham Marsden.

Deadly anglers all who are worth watching and listening to.

I might have criticised some match anglers in the past, but by crikey I have never knocked the way they fish.

Last edited:

Bluenose

Reaction score
In what way am I disrespectful, just making a play on words? Or my dislike for his video? He’s just another angler to me; I don’t put fish or people on pedestals, sorry EC if I’ve offended you or Bob.

I don't need an apology I haven't been offenced but are you really serious when you ask how have you been disrespectful?

Referring to Bob Nudd M.B.E as 'Nob', twice then claiming you aren't knocking or slating.

I think this site is above that.

The Scarlet Maggot

Reaction score
I don't need an apology I haven't been offenced but are you really serious when you ask how have you been disrespectful?

Referring to Bob Nudd M.B.E as 'Nob', twice then claiming you aren't knocking or slating.

I think this site is above that.

I’m sure Bob would just chuckle at it, and cringe at the thought of that video circulating car boots sales up and down the land.

---------- Post added at 07:32 ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 ----------

So "Christ Yates" was ok then? Im sure Chris wouldn’t mind either! :D

dezza

Reaction score
I have done very little match angling...........but if i ever need to hone or remind myself about float or feeder fishings finer points.........i always turn to to a good match angler, i love watching them.

By the way Brummie, I picked up a DVD of Dave Harrell fishing the stick float on the Warwickshire Avon at Twyford Farm, a lovely stretch of the river I have also fished.

This DVD is worth watching if you want to hone your river fishing skills.

Last edited: