Any of the Yorkshire rivers right for Grayling fishing?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'm looking to take a mate fishing in the hope of him catching his first grayling.

Are any of the Yorkshire rivers clear enough at the moment or are they still coloured with snow melt?

Cheers.

Eddie Hirst

Reaction score
Hi Matt

I fished the Swale Nidd on wednesday then finished on the Wharfe, I was after chub.

I started on the Swale at Topcliffe and it was up and coloured and pushing through.
The Nidd was also up and pushing through, although there was a bit of colour in it. Had a couple of bites from Dace, then called for the last hour to the Wharfe, it was probably the best out of the three, and saved a blank with a bullhead lol.

Going back to the Wharfe at Poole tomorrow, fingers crossed for a good session.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Hi Matt

I've fished the Calder and the Wharfe this week and caught well on both. Both rivers are very clear and the fish are tightly shoaled so you'll need to move around to find the fish. The Bradford No 1 Stretches on the Calder are well worth a go.

Let us know how you get on at Pool Eddie.

Eddie Hirst

Reaction score
Hi Sean,
I had a good day but only caught 2 chub, a 3.5lb and a 5.2lb on cheese paste, nice to catch on my own concoction :). There were quite a few anglers down there on Saturday trotting maggot and most caught grayling. The river was in good condition, though we'll see how the rivers fare next weekend!

George387

Reaction score
Just returned from the Yorkshire side of the Tees and had 5 Grayling and a Trout, all to trotted maggot. Cold when the sun went behind the clouds but was lovely when it was out.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Nice chub from there Eddie Well done mate.Now i know why you smell so much.Might be worth you bringing some to the fish in Ed.

supgen

Reaction score
I reckon the aire will be right at the min, but I havnt been down in a while. Hope I get a lucky break!!!