Desperate Cormorants?

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Whilst walking over the fields and golf course near to my house, I have seen a few cormorants around the same area, next to a drain.
This drain is almost devoid of fish (cormorants ate them all) as is the River Torne that is 100 yards away (cormorants ate all them too) So I wondered what they were up to, as the close by ponds are iced over.
On the 3rd day, curiosity got the better of me as I scared them off again, so I walked over the field for a look. I was suprised to see that they had been feasting on apples and bananas. These have obviously been left there by humans, presumably for the horses or the many deer that are around this area (I saw 5 yesterday) To top that off, when I woke this morning, a cormorant flew straight over my house, quite low to the ground. It was heading towards the centre of the village where there are no lakes, rivers etc.

Are cormorants taking to scavenging to survive because they are eating most of the small fish? Will they become a super breed, almost half cormorant, half seagull / crow etc?

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Maybe they were eating worms? the fruit would attract them.

flightliner

Reaction score
Mike- if the choice were down to me they would be on a diet of lead-- number ones or bb would be about right!!!

Bluenose

Reaction score
Interesting observaton Mike, like any other wild creature they will make the best use of what resources are available.

Assuming you are correct I wonder how such a dietery change would affect them over the longer term?

preston96

Reaction score
Interesting observaton Mike, like any other wild creature they will make the best use of what resources are available.

Assuming you are correct I wonder how such a dietery change would affect them over the longer term?

It will make their shi7e slippy! :wh

Cakey

Reaction score
I walked Buddy over the park this morning and one field was full of canadian geese I lost count at 133 must of been getting on for 200
no where near any water either

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I bet if they started eating other birds the RSPB would organise an immediate cull.

They were definately eating just the fruit. The ground was frozen solid, no chance of worms getting through it.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I bet if they started eating other birds the RSPB would organise an immediate cull.

They were definately eating just the fruit. The ground was frozen solid, no chance of worms getting through it.
Guaranteed Michael, but it's only fish they eat just now, no piles of feathers in peoples gardens or picnic tables.

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Obviously a vegetarian, probably a quornorant!!
not-tagged-smiley-10208.gif