any thoughts

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Yesterday my brother-in-law and myself fished Damflask - the idea was to fish with maggots for the roach and put a dead bait out for pike - we fished for about 4 hours me with 1 rod on the dead and one on the maggots the brother-in-law had 2 rods on deads and one on maggots

At the end all we ahd to show was one small perch I caught.

We changed tactics with both deads and magots, popping up deads, deads on the bottom - maggots in maggots feeders, maggots with groundbait in cag feeders , balled groundbait in - nothing worked.

THinking about it afterwards should we have not put the dead baits out until after we started catching roach - could a pike have been atracted to the dead and scared the roach off?

We're going to try the same idea again so any adive would be welcome

captain carrott

Reaction score
i frequently do something similar, i.e. feed over the dead bait liqidised bread this draws in the small fish with a big fat deadbait for the pike to scoff beneath it and it's worked well for me. never bothered trying to catch bits while i'm piking though

Reaction score
Fishing Dam Flask may have been the problem...did you not use a small canal wand as i demonstrated with such success last year? You just don't listen!

It may have been just too damn cold.

The Port and Stilton would certainly not have been served at the right temperature!! Rather bad form old bean!

Did her ladyship get the sledge and huskies out to pick you up?

Happy New Year

Poshers

keora

Reaction score
The problem is the low water temperatures, which means that fish aren't that interested in feeding. I don't think changing the way you fished would have made any difference.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
You could swap the Dead Bait for a Lure and try and Tempt a Pike to snatch at it as the chances of them moving to far are probably limited, also by casting around different areas it will keep you warm.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Maybe the said roach were shoaled up elsewhere m'lud? Are the fish usually evenly spread throughout said ressy, or have they been known to frequent just a few areas?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The bailiff did say no one had caught when he came round,

SV - I did try wobbling the deadbait as a final attempt

Poshers - the Brother-in-law cooked (rather burnt) sausages - the port and stilton stayed back at Furkum Hall

Once the weather warms up somewhat we plan to try the same tactic

---------- Post added at 11:50 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Maybe the said roach were shoaled up elsewhere m'lud? Are the fish usually evenly spread throughout said ressy, or have they been known to frequent just a few areas?

The roach can usuallybe caught from most swims I think - there is some good chb swims I've been told

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
M' Lud, It will come as no surprise to you, but the Flask was ''always'' a hard graft water. But there are certain keys that do help. As always location is one of those keys, and since the water is, even in summer, a cold one. And much of the best pike producing areas are very deep and close in. Perhaps you were in the wrong pitch, there are/ or were some years ago, a handfull of reliable small areas that should produce. Not the most comfortable of swim's, but reliable. All of which are located at the bottom end of the dam, between the point and the dam wall.

Now, at this time of year the Flask pike won't range far, and pockets of fish may be even tighter. I'd definately use popped up baits and get them out quick. Never saw the point in getting there early, as records show most runs come between 10 and 2. If you'd like more detailed info, PM me mate.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There's still one or two mother's in there captain, but no where near the numbers there were in the early eighties/to the late nineties. Too much pike killing in the intervening years. Back then although they were hard to pinpoint, get it right and the rewards were awesome.
On top of all this the water quality suffered in the mid nineties, and the resulting explosion of jacks finished it for me. Bitter sweet memories I suppose. Nontheless still a chance of a big twenty.

dezza

Reaction score
Coupled with all that I would wait until the water has warmed up by at least 10 deg C.

I don't fancy freezing my nuts off in these sorts of temperatures.

Oh yes if you think I'm nesh, that's right I am! I walked up to the shops this morning and nearly froze totally stiff, even with two ganzies, a Barbour, long johns and thermal over trousers on.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I don't think these young turk's will be put off by this freezing weather. Probably the only thing to stop 'em is if the water has a ''lid '' on it.
Just as it wouldn't have stopped me ten years ago. ;)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Cheers Derek - I'll pm you for some info

Not worried if a big pike doesn't show - anything into double figures would be great - 20lber the fish of dreams never having done much pike fishing