Chub Baits

quickcedo

Reaction score
As keen Chub fisherman I am always trying different baits, additives etc, with the best being good old cheese paste with a bit of garlic. This for me has been my main bait for some years now, but during the summer I was working on a new carp bait and found an additive the Carp liked but the Chub went mad for, so I thought i would start a thread to see if anyone else has some interesting additives esp. for Chub. Oh nearly forgot the additive is Knorr Arowmat. Go on you thought I wasn't going to tell didn't you!

Robert Woods

Reaction score
That's handy to know mucker as my wife puts it on her sandwiches...a ready supply.

quickcedo

Reaction score
A seriously good additive. Equiv. to a flat teaspoon per 1 egg mix. A ball of paste the size of an apple. I have been putting it in my cheese paste. Also seems to make a difference to other savoury baits. Maybe worth trying on maggots. Got any other bits you put in your baits?

quickcedo

Reaction score
I see no reason why this additive wouldn't work for Barbel. I have been using it for a year or so and have had many dif species on it. Let me know how you get on esp with the barbel.

Greg Whitehead

Reaction score
Essential oils can boost yopur cheesepaste. I've had success with black pepper. Best to use too little rather than too much, say a drip or two per lb.....

johntyzack

Reaction score
Isnt cheese paste such a good bait you dont need to add anything to it and if you do it takes something away from it ?

quickcedo

Reaction score
Isnt cheese paste such a good bait you dont need to add anything to it and if you do it takes something away from it ?

Yes I would agree to a point, however my results seem to say different. I fished last week on my local river Cherwell and was blanking in style on standard cheese paste. After a change to the "Aromat" infused cheese paste, I went on to catch 5 Chub to just over the 5lb mark. Maybe this was a coincidence, but maybe not. Making baits is a hobby in it's own right for me and I realise I am guilty of changing it sometimes just for the sake of change. However, certain additives def. seem to give an edge esp. where the bait has been used a lot. Hence I started this thread, always looking for the magic something.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
MarkT, I've just had a look at the ingredients and salt is the main constituent,then MSG,then lactose. Do you think it might be the salt that's attracting them and could a dunk in the Maldon be just as effective?

quickcedo

Reaction score
I would need to fish both baits on the same day to find that out, but I'm pretty sure you are correct. The fact is most of the time fish esp Chub can be caught on any well presented bait, so it's partly a confidence thing and partly to get an edge when they really aint having it. Incidently MSG is an additive a lot of commercial boilies have in there makeup. As these are produced with cost in mind I assume it's there for very good reason.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Mark, nice to see another chub fan from Oxfordshire! I'm in abingdon, so spend most of the (unfortunately rare) sessions at this time of year on the Thames here... one of the things I like most about this part of the season is that if you can only get an hour or two on the bank, a big chub might still play ball and make the trip worthwhile.

As for baits, I have to confess to being something of a conservative... generally, I either leger flake, with liquidised bread in an open feeder - or straight leger a lump of cheesepaste.

On the days when they want it, the cheesepaste is definitely the superiour bait in terms of the bites it produces. I've had sessions where pellets, worms and bread have all received plucks and bangs with nothing to connect with.. on changing to cheesepaste, the bite becomes unmissable (it's hard to miss the rod being dragged off the rest in to the river). I've been fortunate to catch a few real clonkers (up to 6lb 8oz) but the dream of a 7 keeps me going back.

The cheesepaste I use is based on ready made short crust pastry, with equal ammounts of grated cheddar and crumbled danish blue kneaded into it. My hook-up rate improved dramatically when I switched to the pastry mix (previously the base I used was liquidised bread), the pastry mix has a really nice elasticity to it which stays on the hook very well but seems to be easy to strike through.

I'm all ears about additives, my only problem is how to judge how well the additive has worked... I'm lucky to get out for a couple of hours every other week, the river conditions change a great deal in that time so results from one session to another could have just as much to do with changed river/ weather conditions as they have with the new bait mix, spose you need to take several mixes and give them a go.

Great thread, hope there's more to come from others on their bait secrets!!
Jim

quickcedo

Reaction score
My cheese paste is either made with Blue cheese and "Quaker" oats or, blue cheese and ground "vitalin" (my personal fav) These both make a very sticky paste which at first appears unusable, but an hour or so in the fridge and the stickyness goes. Both produce a very soft paste but they both stay on the hook for prolonged periods. A sprinkle of the "arrowmat" and maybe a bit of garlic job done.
Jim I'm looking to get a ticket for the Abingdon area this year so any advice greatly received. Also if you fancy a change why not come fish the Cherwell. Alas the monster Chub seem to be hiding this year, but the area I fish has produced fish over 7.

Butcherboy

Reaction score
Have a look at this

Umami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I watched this on the one show, in taste tests it makes all the difference.

Have a look at a product called Vecon from Holland and Barrett, it really makes a difference.

Vecon Concentrated Vegetable Stock 250g by Vecon from GoodnessDirect

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Have a look at this

Umami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I watched this on the one show, in taste tests it makes all the difference.

Have a look at a product called Vecon from Holland and Barrett, it really makes a difference.

Vecon Concentrated Vegetable Stock 250g by Vecon from GoodnessDirect

Works great paired with shrimp block or paste

Shrimp paste - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

quickcedo

Reaction score
Hi there butcherboy, just wondering how you are producing your "Bellachan" based paste. Will def have a look at the "Vecon". It looks on the surface to have similar fish attractors as stock cubes, but maybe more to it. Of course the MSG in the "Aromat" also covers the umami so mixing the two would be pointless. Still this is what this thread is all about. Discovering new additives!

A

alan whittington

Christ,i dare not use the belechan i bought,id empty the street,the only thing ive used it for was stopping a bloke parking in front of my garage(made a runny paste with hot water and poured it into his air vent,never did park there again),it does smell like death though.:wh:wh:wh:wh:D;)

quickcedo

Reaction score
As Mr Hayes would say, smell worse than a Bavarian cyclists jock strap. I want to know how he knows that!