a couple of "specials" needed

preston96

Reaction score
I need a two piece 11 (12ft at a push) rod, capable of fishing hooklinks down to about 1lb/11/2lb.

I also need a couple or more top and bottom fixed sliding floats, the old balsa type, as used in the past on deep water river venues.

I have a couple of rods in mind but would welcome suggestions.

I know the sort of float i want but i cant get my hands on any, so i would really welcome something there...i dont have time to make any.

Any ideas?

Bluenose

Reaction score
I think most 2 pce float rods are quite heavy Paul. The canal float rods made by tricast etc were all 3 pce I think?

preston96

Reaction score
I think most 2 pce float rods are quite heavy Paul. The canal float rods made by tricast etc were all 3 pce I think?

I need someting i can leave made up mate, hence the 2 piece.....but i hadn't looked at canal rods....that gives me a thought ;)

Robert Woods

Reaction score
Try one of the comercial carp rods...plenty of two piece rods to choose from including Drennan Puddle Chuckers.
Regarding sliding floats...I made my own by whipping on a length of Biro tubing by top of big balsa float.

Bluenose

Reaction score
I need someting i can leave made up mate, hence the 2 piece.....but i hadn't looked at canal rods....that gives me a thought ;)

In that case follow the advice you gave me a few yrs back albeit for leger rods.

Shaky mach II or III, Ok not 2 pce but they come with a superb rod pouch that allows them to be kept made up, I've got a 13ft mach III 3pce, it's ace and is constantly kept set up. They also do a light float/canal version too.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

Bottom one here, shows the pouch too!

Fishing Tackle - Shakespeare Mach 3 Float Rods

Rickrod

Reaction score
What about a 11ft river and stream by tfg not sure of the line ratings but its light rod at the right length

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hmmm...I have a River & Stream.Brilliant quiver rod but the other top is pants IMO and I think you'd be pushing your luck with a pound bottom.

What about an 11ft Pellet wagglers ? Depending on stable they can vary quite a bit in action and there are some that I think might cope with a light bottom...dunno about a pound though. The Shaky Mach 111 11 footer is nice.

What are you targetting ?

Skippy

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:53 ----------

And there's the Preston Mini Float rod at 11ft, 2 piece. A cracker and soft enough for the lines you're thinking of.

Pricey mind!

Beat me to it Woody. I was thinking along these lines and the Prestons do tend to be softer than some of the other 11 footers.

Morespiders

Reaction score

Your a lazy ****** Mr Williams, try the 11ft Drennan Puddlechucker, 70 quid, brilliant rod, whats the panic?,
A man of your calibre should be able to knock a few sliders up at the drop of the hat, me thinks your getting old:D

preston96

Reaction score
Your a lazy ****** Mr Williams, try the 11ft Drennan Puddlechucker, 70 quid, brilliant rod, whats the panic?,
A man of your calibre should be able to knock a few sliders up at the drop of the hat, me thinks your getting old:D

Thats why i dont want to mess:D.

Got a new boat for xmas....just a small one and i want to cut down on gear as much as poss......bought some 10ft pike rods and want to use a shorter rod with a sliding float in deep lower Severn swims for roach, rather than 14/15ft rods off the boat..........wish i could get my hands on some of those sliding balsa's we used to have.

Thanx everyone, called into a Fishermans friend in Brum and picked up a little Garbolino float rod......in a sale too!! just in case it don't work effectively.

Gonna make a couple of sliders out of big shouldered lignums( now Spider the weighmaster has shamed me!!)....but if any one has any old sliding balsas or those wire wrapped balsa toppers they want to sell let me know :)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Paul, it's the job of a minute to make a sliding balsa. Snip the shank off a size 10 or 12 eyed hook, dip into a spot of epoxy glue, push into shoulder of balsa.

One sliding balsa!

stooby

Reaction score
have a look at drennan series 7 puddle chucker,
comes in 2 pieces with zip up bag.
costs around £65
I'v got one and they are sweet ;)

preston96

Reaction score
Paul, it's the job of a minute to make a sliding balsa. Snip the shank off a size 10 or 12 eyed hook, dip into a spot of epoxy glue, push into shoulder of balsa.

One sliding balsa!

You used to be able to get something similar but instead of a straight piece of wire where you cut it you had a barb instead.

Got some balsa's to play about with and also some toppers.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Paul regarding the slider again. I have just unearthed a copy of May 2008 Matchangling and it features a cracking article by Darren Cox fishing the Yorkshire Ouse with a slider, not a traditional slider but one designed by Tamas Walter. Whats the difference? They are loaded to prevent the float flying up the line when casting, essential for good accurate casting he says but not fully loaded. These are they. They are distributed by Angling Concepts in this country.

They are big floats that take a lot of shot, the one he used takes about five SSG's on top of the loading in the float and he's fishing 14ft deep in the article with the bulk 3ft from the hook as normal. He does stress though that to prevent dropped bites caused by the fish feeling the bulk weight you must fish as fine as is practical. I should say that these floats come in lots of sizes for shallower fishing as well.

Last edited: