I tried and failed

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
I had a sad attempt to fish the Nadder yesterday even though I knew that the snow melt and rain would make it difficult.

But I didn't expect it to be that bad, not only was the river level extremely high but it was racing through like a steam train and the colour was dark chocolate brown and alot of rubbish was washed through.

Not even a 2 oz led would hold bottom, not too mention that trotting was impossible.
Guess I should have known better, but was so desperate to get out on the bank again that all common sense went out of the window. I stuck it out for about 2.5 hrs and gave up :(

Yet went I took a quick walk up to a local stretch of the Hampshire Avon today, things looked different...normal water level, clear water and nice steady pace.
It's amazing how different the Avon looked compared to the Nadder.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Fishing fever makes you do things like that Claudia.even when you know you'll be better off not going

tortoise100

Reaction score
Tributaries, tributaries I have nothing else to say.
Ok I do, I whent on new years day the derwent was as you describe high,brown and fast.
So i headed straight for a little tributary that was also very swollen but nothing like the river .
It must of been litterally packed with fish I caught a chub a dace and two roach in around half an hour my brother fishing next to me caught a good dace lost a nice perch and a roach at the net and then we had to go as my five year old neice was getting too cold and started to cry.
Don't want to sound condescending if there are no trubutaries then you are stuffed somtimes.
Well done for getting out there you have to be in it to win it .:D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Spent 7 hours on the Colne, 3 different swims, stick float and flake, stick float maggot, feeder with chopped worm.
NOTHING :(

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I too blanked

Knowing what the Rother would be like I opted to fish my local ponds - all 3 frizen solid and not chance of breaking the ice.

So common sense said drive back home and watch the rugby - So I drove to the Rother - which like I've said earlier I knew would be unfishable and fished it.

3 hours of trying maggot, bread, stick float feeder and not a bite.

Still - there's always next weekend

captain carrott

Reaction score
give it a couple of weeks and some wazzok will be complaining the rivers are too low and we need rain.

but at least you tried mrs

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
Hi Claudia,
A bad day on the bank beats a good day at work hands down, you've paid your dues and I'm sure next time you'll get your reward ;)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Timing is everything, Claudia. The Stour was still over the banks yesterday (Monday) yet dropped 4ft overnight and was fishable though carrying a bit too much colour today but as it was 19th Jan which is the magic roach date the roach fed OK.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Will do Peter...and don't be angry with me ....just wanted to get out on the banks *sniff*

How could I ever be angry with you Claudia . . . .silly girl!

b.t.w. the picture is now on the wall in my study, asd thank you

When things settle down a bit, I'll take you down on the Hale. ( for a day fishing)

Last edited:

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
How could I ever be angry with you Claudia . . . .silly girl!

b.t.w. the picture is now on the wall in my study, asd thank you

When things settle down a bit, I'll take you down on the Hale. ( for a day fishing)

You are very welcome, just a lil X-mas pressi....reminded me of of you taking your son a daughter fishing :)

Errgh where is the Hale?