L.A.A, Britford

J

Jim McCann

Hi

Is anyone out there fishing/has recently fished, the London Anglers Association Britford fishery (near Salisbury Wilts).
Being a Carp Angler for the last 22 years and not having fished water that actually moves in that time, any advice you can offer on this water would be greatly appreciated. (best baits, methods etc). I used to fish other chalk
streams around Salisbury in my teens and have not forgotton it all, so hopefully U wont be conversig with a complete lost cause!!

Cheers Jim

A

Andrew Webber

I fish britford, about 80% of my fishing time is down there, I love the place! So what info you after? Best bait has got to be the faithful maggot, with meat a bread following. Not had any success with corn down there. What else do you want to know? Have you joined LAA yet?

J

Jim McCann

I am a new member and called in there the other day for a look around, had a rod and some maggots/flake. Quite a few fish on the old river mainly against the reeds down from the sewage plant (mainly Bream and Chub)but showed no interest in bait, and were quite wary of tackle being trotted or cast anywhere near them.
Its possible that I didnt have enough bait with me to get them going.
You have answered some of my questions concerning type of bait, but how much? do the fish respond to a lot of bait?
Also with the amount of bank down there (6 miles has been mentined) where would be the best places to think about fishing, Im not worried at present about size of fish, just quantity to get me back into this river fishing.

A

Andrew Webber

The deep pool by the sewage plant is good place to start. Like you say there is a lot of bank down there, I haven't scratched the surface in my 3 years. A good starting point is the willows downstream of the big wier. Thats up stream from the car park, nice long trot there. Lots of chub can be had. As far as bait goes I'm not sure, I normally use lots of bait this time of year, especially if you're fishing the willows. Get the bait in!

So as you may have guessed from this post I have no idea!