Barbel summer weight and winter weight

D

Dave Dowson

I have been lucky enough to catch 2 reasonable barbel so far this season.
Both were 8lbs 14 oz.
One measured 30 inches long with a 30 inch girth.
And the other measured 29 inches long with a 161/2 inch girth.
My objective this year is too finally catch my first double figure barbel after about 6 years of trying.
I believe that winter time gives me my best opportunity of achieving this goal.
So guys and gals do you think that these fish will be doubles come December/January time.
Any thought and feeling most welcome.
Tight lines
Dave

J

John Pleasance

It's possible Dave, but not a certainty,I caught a recognisable fish four times about five years back,twice in February and again in August and September,weights were 10.03,10.04,10.06,10,08.

On the other hand a fish I had from Kings Weir many moons back at 10.02 in September came out at 12.08 in March the next year.

R

Ray Walton

Dave ..is this a wind up..A 30x30 barbel would weigh over 30lb+ already.You lucky man.
The other one would be into double figures as well... Check your scales and tape measure! Ray

D

Dave Johnson

bloody hell Ray, they only grow to 30x30 in Makins!!!!!!

where were you fishing Dave?

D

Dave Dowson

Sorry guys and Gals
It should have read 30 inches long with a 15 inch girth.
Thought i was having a wee wee for a minute lol. :)
I can assure the measurements and weights are now correct.
1. 8lbs 14oz 30 inch long and girth 15 inches
2. 8lbs 14 oz 29 inches long and girth 16 1/2 inches.
The above fish were caught on the Dove
Sorry for the confusion
Tight lines
Dave

R

Ray Walton

Hi Dave..They sound like they are younger fish on their way up and have not filled out. The measurements indicate that they should be 'doubles' already, so the potential is there. Alternatively, they could be going backwards, but i don't think that is the case on the Dove. Your two barbel should be low doubles by the autumn, but it depends on food supply, individual potential, etc. I rate the Dove and Trent to produce similar size barbel to the Gt.Ouse one day. Great to see you are keeping records of your captures, so you should be able to recognize them if you re-capture them again later in the year. Keep us posted.
Out of interest, how are you measuring the length? To tip or Fork of tail.
If it is to tip, then the weight and girth measurements are in fact in order, and if to the fork, then they are underweight...Cheers Ray..

D

Dave Dowson

Ray
Hope my fish are going forwards and not backwards.
I measure my fish from the tip of the snout to the fork in the tail.
I have had quiet a few E Mails on this subject and one guy informs me that one of Guy Robb/Stuart Morgans fish (15lbs +) off the Ouse measure 30 inches long and 20 inch girth.
The fish i have targeted are being fed high protein paste by myself on a regular basis.
So fingers crossed for the Autumn/Winter time.
Tight lines
Dave

S

Stuart Johnson

Dave
With out doubt I am sure that you will meet your target, infact you will probably exceed it.

R

Ray Walton

Hi Dave...Guys 17.2 last season measured 30.5 x 20.25. My 18.13.8 measured 33x21.It has been caught a couple of days ago at 16lb 13oz spawned out. Not all barbel fluctuate as great as the ouse fish in weight and is dfferent from river to river. Some down here on the Royalty H.Avon by 1.50lb, some a pound, and some by only ounces especially when they grow older. It's worth trying some other areas and coming back for your 8.14 fish later in the year. If they are caught frequently, it may temporarily stop them or slow them down on reaching there full potential. Keep going and you might find a summer 'double' somewhere...Good luck...Ray

D

Dave Dowson

Ray
Thanks for your encouragement, it made me all gooey inside.
I am totally addicted to this river and the barbel in it.
I am going to have a Saturday afternoon/evening session this weekend. Then probably leave the peg alone as you suggest. Sleeping in the car Saturday night and will try another couple of pegs Sunday till dark. I will keep you posted on this thread how I got on.
What a fish that is of yours Ray 18.13.8. You got a pic of it you could E Mail me with. Well done mate how many months after the capture were you smiling for. 18+lbs bloody hell.
Stu
E mail me your mobile number and I will phone you Saturday/Sunday and let you know how I got on. Good luck with the decorating, make sure you get it all done ASAP.
Tight lines
Dave

D

Dave Dowson

Nephew just phoned me fishing a totally different area and he has had a PB at 8lb 6oz on the waggler aswell. Lost quite a few fish though in a snag. At least they are feeding. Be just my luck he gets a double before me. Roll on Saturday afternoon.
Tight lines
Dave

P

Paul Williams

Ray,
I'm interested in what makes you think the Dove will do fish of a similar size to the Ouse.....it's a different river and i'm not so sure it will, i'm happy to be proven wrong though!
I suppose to really answer the question we would have to look at the equations that resulted in the Ouse fish....and whether they will click into place again...at least in our lifetimes?

D

Dave Johnson

Just cos you blanked when I put you on a 'hot ' peg Paul......

I'm oN the Fenton stretch Sunday evening til errr, whenever .....hoping to improve on last Sundays catch.

5 Barbs up to 9-9 and a big trout...lol, only went last minute after the Stoke v Newcastle freindly, got to the river at 6pm and left about four hours before work the next day.......boy was the wife pleased with me!!!!!

R

Ray Walton

Paul..Ok..Have you had any 'stocked' barbel put in the Dove, if so, how long ago?

D

Dave Johnson

Ray, not sure that they have been stocked at all, only Salmon last year (doh)...
as a rough estimate, i would say that up until end 2000 season, doubles were few and far between,but 8 1/2 lb fish were pretty common however, certainly from the guys I fish with and share results, last season saw a lot more 10lb plus fish. the river certainly has the right conditionto produce big fish, when, I'm not sure, but everything is going nicely at the moment, just a matter of seeing how big they will go to....
you ever been up to these parts?

D

Dave Johnson

ps, Brummy, the missus wants to go to Bridgnorth tommorrow morning to the market.....will be sneaking a rod in for a dabble in the town section....;o)

watch this space.....may even go to the Unicorn for lunch......now if I could sway that to an evening barbel...I mean barmeal....

P

Paul Williams

DJ.....you wouldn't know a "hot peg" from a hot bath!!!....and Bridgnorth is far to upmarket for your tastes!

Ray.....you are asking the wrong guy about the Dove and it's stocking policies mate...but i'm interested in why you think it capable of doing "an Ouse"....i'd put it more on a par with say the Teme, but i'm basing that opinion mainly on what friends tell me.
I know the theories on why the Ouse fish came to be can differ slightly depending on who we talk to, but the fish (eg chub) in the Dove don't grow to the same extent as the Ouse.....at least not yet in it's present situation.

R

Ray Walton

Hi Paul, Personally, i think there maybe a link with 'stocked' barbel, in that they are given an advantagious start in life in the first 2-3 years in captivity,( when they are most vunerable to disease, predation, pollutants stess, etc in the wild) and fed with a constant high protein food supply in an A1 quality environment with no stress factors.. They also grow twice as fast in the stock ponds, than in the wild...Ray

P

Paul Williams

Hi Ray,
Thats a valid point and i am sure that the start in life you discribe is the perfect way to get potential giants on the way.....but i still feel that the rest of the equation has to be "fulfilled"....eg the correct strain of fish to start with....then an envoiroment where they can become phenomenal...eg 18lb+ as apposed to exeptional...eg 14lb+.........i'm off eeling in a while, i think i have found a water where they may be exeptional...talk again.

S

steve flook

interesting reading so far. Ive just come back from my latest session on the Wye and landed my biggest barbel of the season at 11lb 12oz. As a coincidence it is the same fish I caught on March 12th also at 11lb 12oz. Should be bigger come the winter I hope. Having trouble hooking the damn things at the moment though, they seem to be picking up the feeder as it keeps coming back squashed and open. Any thoughts ?