bait droppers

S

steve flook

Just wondering how far you can cast a bait dropper and for it to still function properly. Im looking to cast 20-30 yards out.I`m also having to look at my hinge because I think it twists open on landing, spilling its load on splashdown instead of on the bottom. You can always tell where Im fishing cos the pike are always striking 30 yards downstream where the bleak and dace are filling their thieving bellies on my bait.

P

Paul Williams

Steve,
20/30yds is in my opinion is well beyond effective use for a bait dropper....your hinge probably aint opening on splash down it's just that your feed is ending up all over the shop.....baitdroppers are best used very close in, the max i will use one is the distance i can place one (not cast)with a tight line on a bent rod (finger holding tight at the open spool)and an underarm cast whilst releasing the dropper.....and i will only use this style when i'm sure i know where my feed will end up......a baitdropper is a deadly way of introducing feed if useed to it's capabilities.

S

steve flook

Paul, I agree you with you completely but wanted the views of other anglers as I`m struggling to get my bait down without stodging it with groundbait..am hoping I dont have to go back to the method feeder...its just too messy for a messy angler like me

C

Carp Angler

What are you putting in the dropper Steve?
I'm sure that we (as inventive anglers) should be able to come up with an alternative means of getting your loose feed out there.

D

Dave Johnson

I agree with BRUMMY, a rod, maybe two at a max for the baitdropper. Have you thought of PVA bags Steve? I use them for getting pellet etc down when after barbel.

S

steve flook

the main problem is hemp. You try getting it down 8 foot even on a slow stretch it ends up everywhere. Im trying to get away from constant casting with a feeder as I think it takes too long and makes too much noise. I had great success with Barbel on the method feeder. PVA bags work well but a bit tricky with hemp and tares etc.

S

stu black

Have a look at Archie Braddock's website.
In "the way forward" section there's an article on a "whopper dropper" that hes made out of a piece of pipe. There's diagrams and clear instructions on how to make one.

C

Carp Angler

If you're wanting to get away from constant feeding and just putting down a bed at the start, then you could always freeze it in small blocks with a stone in the middle and pult/throw them in.

R

Richard Drayson

Just think of the possibilities if Angling Techniques made a bait submarine!!!

E

EC

Use a big feeder and tape up some of the holes, chuck it in the edge to roughly judge how long it takes to empty!

S

stu black

i read somehere about a bloke freezing a bucket full of hemp. there was a rope through attached to a heavy sea lead to hold it in place and to retrieve it.

J

John Pleasance

The first thing that comes to mind as a solution would be a purpose made huge size open end feeder.The initial baiting would cause no more disturbance than casting a bait dropper that sort of distance.You could then continue to fish with a more conventional size open feeder or whatever else takes your fancy.

S

steve flook

I like Richards idea of a submarine, but really I think Johns idea of a larger home made jobbie sounds more like it. I`m also toying with the idea of a canoe and a length of drainpipe to pour it down

S

steve flook

pour the bait down I meant, obviously a canoe doesnt fit down your standard bit of drainpipe

P

Paul Williams

Steve,
Be careful with canoes and pipes!!...i have gone done that road when fishing for roach on the Severn from a boat,it is incredible the amounnt of force a river can have on a length of pipe....the pressure created lifted my boat so it would certainly tip a canoe.

D

Dave Johnson

if you need to get that much bait down quickly, i guess an adaptation of the 'raking' method to clear weed/stir up the bottom would be the best way. get it down quickly and then just wait. not sure what you would use on the end of the rope though?

R

Ron Clay

Bait Droppers?

I've had 'em in chunks. Most of the bait droppers on the market don't work - period!

You are quite right you can't bait a swim at distance using a bait dropper. Best to use water soluble bags or even a big heavy open end feeder on a river.

Bets bait droppers on the market are those made from old meat cans by Merv Wilkinson for Tref West.

S

steve flook

interesting bit at the end there Ron about home made droppers. Mine is made from an old tuna tin, just perfect it works in the margins but casting ....looks like Im back to the groundbait for now