Keepnets

S

stuart palfrey

Fishing the wye a few weeks back i went to talk to a fellow angler,he looked like a match angler his rods gear etc. .He said he had just caught a double figure barbel,i replyed i would have taken a photo,he said no problem its in the net.On speaking to him latter he had two more doubles and over a hundred pounds of barbel,all in the net. I dont think any barbel let alone this amount should be kept in a keep net . One alone for a short period to recover mabey JUST.

R

Ron Clay

What this angler did is absolutely disgusting.

There should be one simple rule for match fishing right across the country: "No barbel to be weighed in matches and all barbel to be returned to the water immediately"!!

R

Ray Walton

I think this is still quite common on the R.Severn as well. Although i don't fish it that often, i have seen dead barbel floating down belly up in numbers and would assume that they are emptied from the net without any care and attention or recovery time...Ray

R

Ron Clay

Some anglers don't really care at all Ray. Actually I respect the angler who kills his catch (not barbel) more than those who slam fish up in a net for hours.

Last summer at the end of a match I had to try and revive two Trent barbel of about 4 lbs each. One of them eventually swam away, the other died.

What was interesting was finding out what that barbel had been eating. In its stomach were traces of what looked like luncheon meat, maggots and several big black snails that are extremely common on the Trent these days.

A

Andrew Thomas

It's certainly the majority practice on the Middle Severn.In fact if you haven't got a keep net in you get funny looks and people think you haven't caught.

R

Ron Clay

A few years ago I watched a certain very famous angler slam up a number of barbel around the 6lb mark in Bewdley.

No names but he has a bloody great big ginger beard.

L

Laurie Harper

Horrendous. The message still doesn't get through, despite angling clubs & organisations and the press trying to educate people about barbel in keepnets. I think the main problem is that keepnets tend to hang vertically in the water (unless it's very shallow). This forces barbel, which tend to be quite long, lean fish away from their natural, comfortable position, which is to hold on an even keel. This, I should imagine, does them no favours when they are trying to recover from the effort of the fight. Given that anglers are unlikely to stop putting them in nets, shouldn't we be trying to persuade them to at least stake/tie out their nets so that they sit horizontally in the water, so as to allow the prisoners the best chance of recovery?

R

Ron Clay

And no more than ONE fish in the net.

They will still get their serrated dorsal fin spines caught however.

T

The Monk

keetnets these days are only good for keeping the lagers cool.

L

Lee Poultney

I believe there are too many anglers who have not got a clue on how to use a keepnet correctly. If a bit of time is taken to ensure it is staked out properly in suitable water then most fish will not suffer. However, some anglers put the fish in their dry net then throw the net out into the water which I think is disgusting. Education is the key.

Also, the amount of rubbish left on the bank of the middle Severn is disgusting. I recently fished the pump house peg at Hampton Loade and actually filled a carrier bag full of empty bait bags, tin foil, cans and meat tins.