river derwent

N

nigel kitchen

whilst traveling to york from hull you pass through two villages located on the derwent does any body know if they are owned by anybody or are they free to fish as they look idealic*

N

nigel kitchen

newton upon derwent fangfoss sutton upon derwent are the ones i pass on the A1079

Terry Dawson

Reaction score
sorry its taken so long to reply but i forgot about this, i'l speak to a mate who lives in pocklington and find out for you

tets

C

Chrisx Ess

Hull & district AA has a few short stretches of the Derwent between Hull & York. Newton on Derwent, Breighton and Wressle. I've not fished these particular river waters yet - I've only been a member for a few months. They/We[?] have a lake - the Motorway pond - with a sturgeon in it - called Rockie - some of the carpers reckon it's a bit of a nuisance. I don't know why, I'd love to catch it myself. They're all busy trying to catch the Yorkshire record carp, which lives there. [This is Yorkshire, don't forget!]

N

nigel kitchen

thanks chaps i hope ill find the right part that im loking forward to fishing

K

Kevin Clifford

Hull & District have given up their stretch at Newton (hardly anyone wanted to fish it and the rent of ?1000 couldn't be justified). The club that has most of the fishing in that area is York & District. They have the lenght from Kexby Bridge (the bridge you go over from Market Weighton to York) all the way up to Stamford Bridge (4 miles) on left bank looking upstream of Bridge. They also have some on opposite bank just below Stamford Bridge. They also have fishing at Sutton on Derwent (above & below weir). York year books readily available from tackle shops in York. You can also get day tickets to fish Derwent in that area at a pub next to the river just north of Thorganby village (opposite Pocklington Canal). A lot of the lower Derwent (below Sutton) is operated through the Lower Derwent Fisheries Association. Basically, the EA who own the flood banks in this area wanted to deal with one body, rather than a lot of individual clubs. So the clubs got together and formed an umbrella organisation. The EA only own the floodbanks and so access to areas away from the bridges had to be negotiated individually by the clubs with local farmers. I can probably get hold of the details of who rents what sections but Hull & DAA has the bits at Breighton & Wressle. Fishing is very patchy in Derwent. At the moment its fishing quite well above weir at Sutton for roach in certain swims. In the Derwent roach tend to shoal up above the weirs after a few hard frosts. Above Kirkam weir also in winter (40lb of roach to 1lb possible) and above Howsham weir. Derwent has a few barbel 30-40 between weirs in about 3 miles and some big chub, but again difficult to locate but not as hard as the barbel. Not a river for the faint hearted. What you will come across are otters. The river has too many of them.

N

nigel kitchen

thanks ill try to find out exactly which part thenlet u know and hopefully u can tell me whoo i have to ask

skill

Reaction score
Hull & District have given up their stretch at Newton (hardly anyone wanted to fish it and the rent of ?1000 couldn't be justified). The club that has most of the fishing in that area is York & District. They have the lenght from Kexby Bridge (the bridge you go over from Market Weighton to York) all the way up to Stamford Bridge (4 miles) on left bank looking upstream of Bridge. They also have some on opposite bank just below Stamford Bridge. They also have fishing at Sutton on Derwent (above & below weir). York year books readily available from tackle shops in York. You can also get day tickets to fish Derwent in that area at a pub next to the river just north of Thorganby village (opposite Pocklington Canal). A lot of the lower Derwent (below Sutton) is operated through the Lower Derwent Fisheries Association. Basically, the EA who own the flood banks in this area wanted to deal with one body, rather than a lot of individual clubs. So the clubs got together and formed an umbrella organisation. The EA only own the floodbanks and so access to areas away from the bridges had to be negotiated individually by the clubs with local farmers. I can probably get hold of the details of who rents what sections but Hull & DAA has the bits at Breighton & Wressle. Fishing is very patchy in Derwent. At the moment its fishing quite well above weir at Sutton for roach in certain swims. In the Derwent roach tend to shoal up above the weirs after a few hard frosts. Above Kirkam weir also in winter (40lb of roach to 1lb possible) and above Howsham weir. Derwent has a few barbel 30-40 between weirs in about 3 miles and some big chub, but again difficult to locate but not as hard as the barbel. Not a river for the faint hearted. What you will come across are otters. The river has too many of them.
Hi, I know this is an old post but is guest poster Kevin Clifford or any other Derwent angler still around, Just looking for some info cheers.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Skill,
only Terry Dawson is still a member of the forum. He hasn't been active since 2005. You are unlikely to get a response from any of the original posters on the thread. You may be better served just starting a new thread asking current members for information about the Yorkshire Derwent.

greenie62

Reaction score
.... You may be better served just starting a new thread asking current members for information about the Yorkshire Derwent.

As Sam has pointed out - best with a New thread - and identifying which Derwent you mean! - We have nearly as many Derwents in this country as Avons and Stours!:D