Ledgering

I

ian jay

In his artice, Dave correcty points out "Some reels allow the reel handle to turn backwards a fraction before the anti reverse kicks in ..."

On way to correct this is to manually turn the spool for final adjustment. Assuming that you have not got the clutch fully tightened.

J

John McLaren

Another way is to use a "feeder" type rod rest and move the rod back a notch to tighten the line/set the rod tip.

B

Bob Watson

The name for this movement is "backlash" it's even present in fine tolerance machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, etc (I used to work as a precision grinder). How manufacturers eradicated it in reel handles beats me. Any engineers out there know?

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Maybe a spring ratchet system which holds forward the position of the spool not allowing it to back onto the previous cog?

R

Richard Drayson

On my Shimano it's simply a one-way roller bearing that is selected when you flip the anti-reverse on.
Absolutely brilliant and no backlash at all.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Okuma use the same method (one-way roller) in their Epix range.

J

Jay Thomas

Does anyone here use the 'sidewinder' for bite detection? It has allowed me to convert my float rod to a light feeder rod when I don't have the feeder with me.

R

Ron Clay

The one way roller is now used by many reel manufacturers. There is no incredible technology in it. The one way roller bearing has been around for many years.

J

John Hepworth

A wrap spring is another way, these were used on some franking machines that I have serviced, incredibly efficient

Stuart Plumb

Reaction score
As a complete new angler I have been "annoyed" because of the backlash. Just overtighten too much and you've lost it, not enough and its not there. But now I,ve learned two methods...Good reel and proper rod rest!!

l walker

Reaction score
will some1 pls help me my reel wont backwind i got it working once but now it wont work pls help im desperate now