Brilliant DIY Ground Bait

L

Lee Fletcher

Dear All,

If you use groundbait, method feeder whatever, here's a cheap and simple little number for all you DIY'ers.

Buy a 15 kilo bag of Vitalin complete dog food. This costs around ?9 and is available at all good local pet food stores.

Now obtain 7 kilo's of fish meal. I buy Provomi because its available at animal feed suppliers and its of very good quality and cheap. For 20 kilo's its around ?20.

Then obtain 6 kilo's of crushed hemp. You can buy this in bulk or in smaller quantities from good tackle shops. In bulk from Haiths of Cleathorpes.

Now then. Put the whole bag of Vitalin through a food blender in stages unless you have the biggest blender in the world. This process takes about half an hour. Blend until the Vitalin is chopped down quite well. Trial and error here to obtain the right consistency.

Tip into a plastic dustbin or similar large container. Add the Fish Meal and Crushed Hemp. Using either ones hands, or a plastic scoop, mix the lot in together.

The Vitalin contains freeze dried or rolled, Oats, Wheat, Sweetcorn, Soya Beans, Dried Meat Juices and Dried Marrowbone with vitamins and minerals. Once blended down, it has its own natural binders. On its own, it attracts all feeding fish. The Fish Meal makes it even more attractive and the Crushed Hemp gives it its fizzing quality.

I make mine up ready for use before leaving home using tap water. To this water I add before mixing the following to mix arond 3 kilo's of groundbait;

Three quarters of a pint of water. To this I add;

3 Teaspoons of Shrimp Paste available from Tesco's for around ?1.60 a tub.

2 Dessertspoons of "Blue Draggon" Fish Source for around ?1.50 a bottle.

Both from Tesco's in the oriental cooking section. These products are concentrated and once in the finished groundbait pong somewhat.

There you have it. A brilliant groundbait for all sorts of applications that work equally well for both Summer and Winter fishing for all species alike.

But there's more.

If one is long range fishing for say carp or bream, try this tip.

Mix up the groundbait as described. Fill a bait gun and compress. The groundbait will not come out if a small nozzle is fitted. Once compressed, screw off the nozzle head and squeeze ot the compressed sausage. Now cut into large pellet sized pieces. These are then ready to catapult out increadible distances.

Bang on.

Regards,

Lee.

J

John Pleasance

Sounds good,but I'm still looking for a shop that sells Vitalin.

C

Carp Angler

John,
when we fish this winter remind me to bring you up a sack, my local pet shop sells it.

I've never seen it in Asda Bob.

J

John Pleasance

Thanks Rik,I've tried all my local ones,there was a distinct lack of interest in even talking about it let alone getting some in.

Make sure you let me know the cost and I'll see you alright when I get my new glasses.

Robert,thanks, but to the best of my knowledge there's no Morrisons or Jollys around here and the nearest Asda is in Bournemouth(15mls), where I never go shopping!

I've looked at that shrimp paste in Tescos loads of times and keep thinking I must be able to use it for something.

D

Dave Dowson

Brilliant Lee something i will try
Thanks a lot for sharing it with us all
Tight lines
Dave

R

Robert Woods

Sorry Rik...when we go shopping I'm in a daze...have not seen any Vitalin in ASDA.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Try Kwik Save, my local sells it in the 2kg bags for ?1.30.

J

John Pleasance

We've got Tesco's,Safeway and Co-op in New Milton, further afield in Lymington there is a Waitrose or in Christchurch there is a Sainsburys.

We don't seem to have all the other jobbies that everyone else talks about every time something like this is mentioned.

S

stu black

I've been to kwiks, asda, and spar and not found it. My dog-owning friends have not heard of vitalin either!

The spar manager has got 36 hours to live ;-)

P

Paul Williams

Do you have a Wilkinsons your way?....failing that those out of town large petshops sell the stuff or any DIY type store with a pet section.

P

pons

Thanks a lot Lee for some spot on info,and as one who has fished the method Feeder on the Severn ,all summer,I know how effective these mixes are.
I will try your Brew,and let you know how it goes.
As for Vitalin ,I have found it widely available from most Pet Shops,at ?9 a sack,and a real bargain.
We have been using various trout pellets in the mix,and I too have used the smelly Oriental Fish oils,available in Supermarkets to great effect.
I have not bothered with the Hemp for some time,and have caught more this year than ever before,and have been able to observe at first hand ,on the Teme,in the low water conditions this summer,the devastating effect of Pellets,namely Ellips,on the local Barbel population.
THEY LOVE THEM!!!!
Most Anglers I meet on the banks of the mighty Severn do NOT put enough bait in,a Bucketful is but a drop in the Oceon,in this huge water.
I also rate highly,Koi Stim and Marine groundbait from Dynamite Baits and also Cats and Dogs products,all work brilliantly ,and have helped me to some great catches.
The Anglers I see adopting these positive approaches seem to do well,so let them know you are there ,Give them some Bait,and lots of it!
Good Luck,
Chris .

J

John Pleasance

Thanks Rodney,it always helps to know what you're looking for.

Paul,no Wilkinsons either but there is a Petmart? in B'mouth, I'll have a look in there next time I'm passing.

P

Paul Williams

John,
I have been into my local Wilkinsons today and they ain't got any!...they used to to sell it honest!.....perhaps all those bloody anglers are buying up the stocks?, i don't know what my poor Jack Russels are going to do now!!!

C

Chrisx Ess

Here in Hull there's some place called "Pets At Home" which sell it. I've also seen it in Kwiksave. Try any local petshop failing the above. You don't save that much by buying a whole sack. I've not got the space myself.... In any case, where I usually fish, particles work best.

B

Birds Nest

Wilco's seem to have dropped it.. Most Petshops have it... I went in for a bag last week and the fella said "fishing mate?"

Apparently he sells more to fisherman than dog owners!!

M

matt thomas

well just to set the record straight all kwiksaves should sell it as it is one of their standard lines and should be able to find one cos there is 700 of em!!
oh my day job is a kwiksave manager

M

matt thomas

oh and if they have not got any see the manager and tell them to put an extra order in cos our ordering systems crap

P

Paul Williams

I agree their ordering system is crap Matt, my local Kwiky keeps running out of the 24 pack of cheap stella!!!! ( i soak me jack russells vitalin with it!)