Elton Reservoir, Bury

J

John McLaren

Has anyone fished this water recently? Are day tickets still available on the bank?

J

John McLaren

Just bringing this back in view - anyone out there know the place?

P

Phil Hatton

Not fished it for years but if you contact Ian Chapman he reviewed it not too long ago in AM.

P

Paul Christie

John, I know it well and fish it fairly often.
It's still day tickets on the bank ?2.50 per day.
I usually don't bother with it after the frosts start as it's hard work. However, I've had some real success on there during early summer, night fishing on a pre-baited peg on the field side, with bigs bags of bream.
Sadly the once excellent roach fishing is but a distant memory as it's had problems with cormarants for a good number of years.
However, it's now full of big perch and the bream now average well over 4lb, compared to 2.5lb 5 or so years ago.
It's well worth the effort night fishing and what's more, you can usually bank on having all 56 acres to yourself!
Let me know if you were after something more specific or if you fancy a dabble for the bream next June/July.

J

John McLaren

Paul, thanks for that. We are intending to give it a go for pike on Saturday (I usually end up doing some feeder fishing for silver fish as well). I have visited a couple of times some years ago and caught some jacks but my mate has memories of some double figure fish. Do you have any knowledge of the pike fishing there? The perch sound interesting any method especially successful?

P

Phil Hackett

John
Elton 15 years ago was good to me and I fished it a lot, taking fish to 20lbs with lots of doubles. Over recent time I’ve been back several times and not had a run. I don’t think the pike are there in the numbers they once were now for the reasons Paul gives.

If you e-mail me privately I’ll talk to you about another water in that area that worth fishing.

P

Paul Christie

There are certainly still plenty of jacks in there. The spring before last I had a few evenings spinning and had numerous small pike and perch each time, as did my mate. We also saw many others follow the lures in to the shallows. I've not heard of any big doubles showing over the past few years, but then as I say, it's hardly fished these days.
The perch will normally respond well to the feeder with red maggott. It can be a little slow to get going, but if you stick at it they usually turn up and are a nice average size, with odd bigger ones upto 2lb or so.
John, will you be fishing the wall or field side?

J

John McLaren

Paul, we are planning to fish on the wall side.

Phil, thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch shortly

J

John McLaren

Phil & Paul,Thanks again for your responses.

We did go to Elton today and I had a 5lb fish, on sardine, within a couple of minutes of my first cast but neither of us did anything else. I tried maggot feeder tactics and legered worm but didn't have a touch. Still it was a nice day to be out and we had some interesting conversations about other waters.

Chris Spencer

Reaction score
Hello, just got back in from a session over at withins, the 'little' res just over the back of elton res. Me and my fishing accomplice were down there just after sunrise, legering deadbaits in the hope of a pike or two, but sadly we BLANKED. with the whole place to ourselves, we put out four rods out on deadbaits, one each on a feeder/maggot combo and had a waggler fish aswell - all to no avail, not even a bite or even any sign of any fish. Lovley day though!

So just trying to get a little local knowledge, are you boys talking about elton res ie the BIG one, have you ever fished withins ie the small one? any advice/ how deep/ what is in there?

I remember my unkle taking me down there years ago, and waggler fishing, pulling out some nice roach, and with a float fished deadbait in the margins, I had my first pike on a smelt, lovley fish around 10 lbs.

Not been there for years so i thought id give it a go again. Noticed as i walked onto site an awful lot of rubbish, mainly from anglers - empty cans of sweetcorn, tackle bits, and lots of pike stuff - loads of deadbait packets and empty pike tackle boxes etc etc. Just wondering if the pool has been hammered ie overfished, and what people have been pulling out of there

Any advice is more than welcome, i think i'm gonna definately try and fish it again, and also where else is good to fish for some pike?

many thanks and tight lines boys

Chris

Paul C

Reaction score
Chris

Fished it3 winters ago and caught a jack off the dam wall, but struggled on the feeder rod. I think I had another dropped take too if memory serves me, so there were pike on the feed that day.

I think the problem with the upkeep of the place has started since the paper mill closed down, that used to own it and bailiff it.

Yes, Elton is the big one at the back and I imaginethe smaller one, like Elton,has suffered from cormarants, particularly over winter with large numbers on the place.

It previously boasted someimpressive pike and also had a good head of roach, skimmers, perchand tench.I couldn't begin to guess the current state of play with the fish stocks, but if the big one is anything to go by, it will have few small silver fish left in it. Needless to say, that will haveaffected it's pike stock.

What's left is in there is anyone's guess as I suspect there arepeople fishing it who not the considerate type and there will bethose that take their catch home......

Paul C

Reaction score
British Waterways.

I believe Broughton Anglers have recently taken over the fishing rights.

The bad one

Reaction score
Paul C is correct

Taken from the Club's website

As many of you know who attend the meetings the club has secured some more fishing for you all in way of elton reservior bury all members can fish as long as you wear you bac membership badge. Day ticket will be available on the bank for friends / visitors this is a very big project for bac and the sailing club we both hope to bring elton back to its former glory by re stocking and sorting the problems with the cormerants. There will be match date avalible for outside clubs etc

Risque Manoofus

Reaction score
Its a ball breaker to read sad tidings like this about Elton. Being originally from Heywood I won my first match on there off the feild side years ago. We used to fish it on "zoomers" and groundbait and caster and had some lovely nets of roach and hybrids.

Its hard to believe that cormorants could do this sort of damage on a water of that size.

The bad one

Reaction score
Well accourding to some on this site they only take 10% of the fish stock..........Yeh right they do!!!!!!!!! And I've fished this water for over thirty, years not studied it for 2!!!! /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif