Centre pins

P

Paul Christie

I'm looking to buy my first pin and wondered if someone could recommend an upto date model. I'm not looking to spend the kind of cash need for the Browning Revolver (well not yet) and so I'm interested in something at the cheaper end of the market, for the likes of the Ribble, Dane, Severn etc.
I've seen the previous thread on pins which mentions the Shakespeare model, but that thread is a few years old now and I'm not sure exactly what's on the market at present. Has anyone any suggestions?

W

Wag

Get yourself a Leeds reel made by Lewtham Engineering. They are cheap at around ?50, and are solid and reliable with free running bearings. There are two types, one with a friction clutch/drag, and one with a more tradtional ratchet sytem. They also come in small and large sizes. I'd get a 4" drum model for a first reel. If you find you like centrepin fishing (and you probably will) you can then get a better reel such as one of the Young's models, but if not you will have a good solid reel for accasional use, without having blown a load of cash.
If you can't get a Leeds reel locally, give Kirkgate Anglers in Leeds a ring on 0113 2434880. they do mail order and often have special offers on the Leeds reels.

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Paul,
There are some nice second-hand centrepin reels at Davis Tackle

It might be better to start with a quality second-hand one before splashing out too much for a brand new reel.

I can't comment on the Leeds reel as I haven't used one but generally I would say that the more you spend the better in the case of centrepins.

If you don't get on with the reel, you can be pretty certain that you'll get most of your money back if you decide to re-sell it as they hold their value well.

Happy hunting!

S

Shrek

If it's a Leeds you're after, there's one for sale here at a reasonable price currently. Don't know how high it will go though.

B

Bob Hornegold

Paul,
If you are interested in the Shakespear Eagal I found a site selling them.
www.nimpopo.com
I hope this is helpful.
Bob