Pellets in Winter

B

Birds Nest

Right then... The 1st frost has arived here, I'm in chubbing mode.. What are your thoughs on using pellets in winter? I'm not sure as to how effective they are in winter, will they break down.. Just looking through my buckets I've got some CSL, Hinder slicker 60's, mini betain, some tiny and some bigger betain, some mainline hemp pellet and some mahhhooosive Hallibut pellets...

Are they worth a try for baiting up for t'chub, or will they sit on a cold river bed doing nothing much... S'pose I could scald them up with a touch of vitalin and ball it in..?

P

Phil Hatton

I'm out tomorrow,probably the Vyrnwy or mayde the Severn.I'll be taking a variety of pellets so I'll let you know.

P

Phil Hatton

BN,not a rap on the pellets mate.Caught on spiced magots with a maggot feeder.

C

Carp Angler

CSL's and hemp pellets contain virtually no fishy oils so they should still be OK in the colder water.
Betaine pellets (smirk...) are higher in oil so may struggle, halibut pellets have different oils and I have found these to be quite effective during winter.

B

Birds Nest

Its the high oil content thats the problem then?

Smirk away, I'm on a learning curve...

C

Carp Angler

Different oils react differently in colder water, but high fish oils aren't going to do a lot in winter.

No, I'm not smirking at you, I'm smirking at 'betaine' pellets.

Betaine is naturally occuring, so any pellet could be said to containe betaine.
There is also a line of thought that betaine is 'locked' in by oils, so can't attract in the way it should because the oil is inhibiting it.

B

Birds Nest

Cheers Rik. Think I can get my head around this one... makes a change...

Betain.. Pah.. Bit of a con?

Smirk away..

P

Phil Hatton

CA,is there a marked difference in the quality of Halibut pellets?I get mine from a local tackle shop and they are bagged under his name,so I'm unsure of their origin

Gollum Gollum

Reaction score
In anticipation of Rik's reply I'll just chip in my 2 cents worth..
There is a difference between suppliers and even in batches from single companies.
I can get them in 25kg bags fairly cheap, but don't do so because
they go off after a few months. Still usable - but not as good as fresh.

D

Dave Rothery

Rik - how about some "lysine" pellets now they've twigged the betaine?