Landing Nets - Law Changes

Ray Barton

Reaction score
Could someone please give more info on the changed laws in 2003 for landing nets

F

Fred Bonney

As far as I know there are no law changes.It's just that some manufacturers have listened to anglers and have developed a standard,much the same as kite mark.
It will mean that some ,if not all, net makers will make keepnets to a safe standard.

B

Barry Kneller

Sounds like another ploy by the makers to sell yet another different type of net, I've been using the mono ones for a few years & still think that they are the best think since knotted nets were outlawed. they don't remove the slime from the fish, carp are much less likely to catch up their dorsals (which wouldn't happen anyway if people would only pull the bottom of the net through the upper rings to remove the fish instead of sliding the fish 12 or 14 feet thought the net & straight into the weigh pan. The mono landing nets are light as a feather & you can actually manouvre them around in the water with risking the net handle breaking and as an extra benefit they shake almost dry & don't stink the car out.
The net makers also seem to have got a lot of the Fishery owners on the side who are only allowing nets with the new mark on it. Bit of extra dosh for 'em I suppose, good little racket if you can say "can't fish here mate unless you buy one of my special nets - only 50% more expensive than in the tackle shops."
Unless the powers that be actually ban all but the newly marked nets I shall continue to use the mono nets that I already have. If the fishery owners don't like it I'll take my day ticket money elswhere.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I won't be surprised to see that in a year or two there will be a discovery that the nets used today were better after all and you should really buy the nets with the 'NEW' safety tag sewn onto the ghost mesh nets, which of course are newly made and not ones which have been in a warehouse for a few years......what me cynical....never.

J

John Howard

Nets without a lilypad logo will not be allowed at Premiure or Premium fisheries, not sure of the exact name. This is I believe the name of a combined group of commercial fisheries. There are no moves afoot to change the national laws.

B

Bob Watson

Looks like all you matchmen out there will be forking out on new nets then.
Stinks a bit doesn't it!!(The rule, not your net) ;-)

B

Bob Watson

Personally I think the most fish friendly net on the market will still be capable of causing damage to fish in the wrong hands. Any modern net in the right hands will cause no harm at all.
Maybe we should have lilypad logos on hands??

tom stone

Reaction score
barry these new landing nets are so much kinder to fish if you notice that with the nylon tpye nets the fish jump around alot because the don't like the feel of the net so it is causeing them more harm and distress in the net, these new nets are also very light and don't smell and the fish are more comferable in them
they may take longer to dry out and you can't sweep them as easy thoughthe water but what does that mattter is the fish are better looked after
we as anglers should be supporting such ideas which will help the pr of our sport out in the future and also bring items of gear to a safe alround standard
i hope that the next thing they look at will be unhooking mats as they do need a good sort out
just for the record the new nets are no more expensive than the old ones and you can also hand you old net in and get a voucher off for you new net
also i have been told that as long as you net complies with the scrunch test and feels smooth not scrunchy you will be allowed to use it even if it does have the lily on it

B

Barry Kneller

Well, I do have to admit to neithr seeing or feeling these new nets as I ve been more or less Pike fishing excluseively for the last year or so. But I can honestly say that the fish are no more lively in my mono landing nets than they were in the old micromesh stuff. The difference is, when you look at a mono net after you've landed a fish you don't see any slime at all. Whilst a micromesh net looks like someone's blown their hooter on it.

I'm sure that if these new nets are proven to be better for fish, eventually the regs will be changed again. What I am saying is that I shall not be throwing away perfectly good nets until I'm convinced of the benefits.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I'm sure when a fish is netted in a kite mark net it doesnt feel the quality and then snuggle down to a nice comfortable position.
If there is a way to make money, they will find it.
If they were really concerned about safety then an idea i read recently regarding a discount when any 'unsafe' net is brought in on a new net is a good idea ... lets say 50% off ?

B

Bob Watson

Tim,

Look

<a href=http://www.olay.co.uk/docs/olayproducts/index.jsp>HERE</a>

you handsome bas**rd you!! ;-)

tom stone

Reaction score
if its a money making idea then why are they giving people discounts if the hand their old net over?
just think if you put on a itcy jump on you would move around in it, wouldn't no matter what label it has in it and its the same with fish and nets
i personaly had doults over these nylon type nets when they came out and after a few matchs went back to the older type ones because i felt it was taking me longer to unhook the fish in the net where it was moving around so much more and so was costing me money
the group who made up the lily pad mark are a voluntery group of fishery owners which advise the manufactors what they want in their fisheries and no they don't make money out of it

P

Paul Williams

Tom,
no better excuse than losing money is there?.....they moved around more because theres less friction surely?

tom stone

Reaction score
paul
to me its the itcy jumper movement i also do a bit of grayling fishing in the winter and if i catch any trout or grayling i keep them in my landing net for a while so they can get their breath back, in the nylon nets they just seem to want to get out while in the newer nets they are more quiter and set there still for longer
it might be just me

just out of interst but i don't know if i am allowed to post this but have a look any way ian welch is one of the poepl responable for bring it in and this is part of the thread from the rmc site
http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/s...Number=133826&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

B

Bob Watson

Dave
you know me
always prepared to upset, just hope that's not his real face, would you post it???

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, hope it works so I can retire the wire brush & angle grinder

mal jones

Reaction score
As a past fishery manager it is not the nets but the anglers who cause probs with the fish. The way that they are tipped out of nets at the weighing is sometimes a disgrace. I have seen top anglers tip 50 to 60lb of fish in to the weigh sling lik they were a sack of spuds. It is the anglers whoshould be graded not the nets.