River Stort Chub

Richard Plume

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone is local to the River stort in Essex or Herts and could recommend any decent stretches as I am returning to fishing after a 4 year gap and have changed my target fish from carp to chub.

D

Dominic Dear

Richard,
I've had some cracking days on the LAA stretch just off the A414 going out of Harlow with Chub to over 5lb. Also the sidestream or old river which run in & out of the navigation around there have produced fish over 6lb but I don't know who runs the fishing. Carp wise the marina behind the Moorhen pub in Harlow often holds good fish but fishing isn't allowed however the adjoining river is on day ticket. There is also a day ticket bit of the old river near Posh & Becks house on the way up to Sawbridgeworth.
Good Luck..

Richard Plume

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply. Is the stretch you describe the one where there is a small piece of unused road to park on just off of the A414 leading towards ware which then leads to a cattle bridge which cross's the river? As I thought that was controlled by Ware Angling? What methods did you find most productive?

D

Dominic Dear

Thats the one, i haven't fished it for a while but i think you can still see LAA signs from the road. I tended to turn right over the bridge to the tree lined stretch just above the next lock and fish waggler far bank with maggot/caster & hemp, you'd generally get a bit of a mixed bag but i found you got the Chub more on caster than maggot. It might be worth a bit of a speci approach with stewing steak & mince in a feeder to sort out the bigger Chub as this has been doing the business on the Lee not far from here.

Richard Plume

Reaction score
I may well give that a try thanks. I used to fish Fields weir on the Lea and main river behind it, do you know if that still produces fish or has it "gone off the boil"?
Are there many reasonalble day ticket stretches of the Lea locally? As I'd prefer not to fish the Enfield end.
Can I thank you again for your advice I very much appreciate it.

D

Dominic Dear

Feildes weir was busy yesterday with people piking, don't know what its been like generally. For Chub,local day ticket stretches worth a go are, Dobbs weir(busy at weekends),Carthegena fishery Broxbourne/Nazing, weirpool on season permit.
Crown fishery at Broxbourne and Kings Weir,book in advance. For monster Chub the relief channel and old river at Fishers Green is on an RMC angling season ticket but is worth the outlay.

Richard Plume

Reaction score
I've recently had a walk round the Fishers Green complex and it did look quite appealing I must admit. I shall try and get down to the Carthegena Weir and check that out to.. Thanks again!

A

Andrew Miller

Wow what memories! The stort was the river I learnt to fish in and to me the best stetch was Parndon Mill all the way down to Roysten.My biggest chub was 4lbs 10ozs there, I had pike to 14lbs, big roach , big perch,Part of it was like out of Crabtree!!! Went back a few years ago and it a shadow of what it used to be like with gravel pits dotted around it now. Another great stetch was behind Harlow Town Station. Wonder what that like now

B

Bob Hornegold

Carthegena Weir, did a 7lb 9ozs Chub last November.
Fisher Green has at least five 7lb chub, witha 7lb 8ozs holding the fishery record.
But the Green is very likely to do an 8lb Chub before the end of the season.
Bo

Richard Plume

Reaction score
I originally began my river fishing on the stort behind the train station when I was younger to, in those days we used to see quite how many gudgeon we could catch!
Does anyone have the name of the club that runs Carthegena weir? Or any contact details please?

D

Dominic Dear

Carthegena weir & pits were taken over last summer by Jerry Hammon, I believe its still on a season ticket but it'd be worth asking at the house by the lock.

Richard Plume

Reaction score
Thanks Dominic I might try and pop down there tomorrow afternoon. Bob I can't seem to get that website to work, it comes up as unavailable..